Hard to identify TV shows with badly stretched images

computerprep

computerprep

This isn't affecting movies (so far), and I've taken as close look at my library metadata settings to see if that's the cause.

But when I'm identifying a series that was mis-identified, it only seems to pull in banner artwork and present it in poster aspect ratio for identification.

It's been a while since I've had to manually identify a series, but this has only happened since the 4.0 update.

post-1756-0-83902100-1547921669_thumb.png

Hi, yes that's because the tvdb images are banner aspect ratio and the identify feature is not currently accounting for that. it's something we can look at addressing in a future update. thanks.

computerprep

It used to populate with the poster image. If I remember correctly, it used to populate two or more correct matches. One would be a stretched banner, but the other would be the poster.

Either way, thanks for looking at it down the road.

• 4 weeks later...
Happy2Play

Just a little reminder.

For The Magicians (which does show posters on the website)...

5c62082993744_EmbyIdentifybanners.jpg

But their API returns \graphical\ instead of \poster\ images.  Just like their web site \graphical\ is a Banner image.

<Series>
<seriesid>299139</seriesid>
<language>en</language>
<SeriesName>The Magicians (2015)</SeriesName>
<AliasNames>The Magicians (2016)</AliasNames>
<banner>graphical/299139-g3.jpg</banner>
<Overview>
Quentin, a brilliant grad student is chosen to attend Brakebills College for Magical Pedagogy, a secret upstate New York university specializing in magic. He and his 20-something friends soon discover that the magical fantasy world they read about as children is all too real – and poses grave danger to humanity.
</Overview>
<FirstAired>2015-12-16</FirstAired>
<Network>Syfy</Network>
<IMDB_ID>tt4254242</IMDB_ID>
<zap2it_id>SH02304150</zap2it_id>
<id>299139</id>
</Series>

https://www.thetvdb.com/banners/graphical/299139-g2.jpg

vs

https://www.thetvdb.com/banners/posters/299139-17.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

arrbee99

No idea what that means, except shouldn't posters be retrieved ? Or does that mean posters can't be retrieved ?

Happy2Play

No idea what that means, except shouldn't posters be retrieved ? Or does that mean posters can't be retrieved ?

Their API is give us a image from there "graphical" folder instead of their "poster" folder.  And Emby is putting that banner in a poster place holder.

<banner>graphical/299139-g3.jpg</banner>
Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

computerprep

Maybe this will help provide a quicker solution... just discovered that if I do a television series identification with ONLY the IMDb ID, it pulls the proper poster image. Of course, at that point it's pointless because there's only one image since you absolutely identified the show, but it pulls the correct poster and dipslays it in proper aspect ratio in this case.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Maybe this will help provide a quicker solution... just discovered that if I do a television series identification with ONLY the IMDb ID, it pulls the proper poster image. Of course, at that point it's pointless because there's only one image since you absolutely identified the show, but it pulls the correct poster and dipslays it in proper aspect ratio in this case.

But that assumes the source you are getting using IMDBid tracks the series the same way.  As there are cases where each provider can track a Series differently (different episode numbers).  But the majority of the time they should match.

Edited by Happy2Play