Upgrade to 4.0.0.2 from 3.5.3-18 - Summary of issues.

unisoft

unisoft

So I have a Synology DS2415+ NAS that had a clean (not odd plugins) 3.5.3-18 build. My DB was only ever created under 3.5.3 build.

Upgraded to 4.0.0.2, rebooted when stated in the Dashboard and did a full library scan. All cover art and meta data looks correct from just looking in libraries.

Here are the issues:

1. COLLECTIONS in Movie library - None are listed. All gone. Collections previously defined by collection.xml only and all worked 100%.

2. Adding new items into Movie library are not showing under LATEST MOVIES despite date being correct of today (19/01/2018 UK Date format) in meta manager

3. The WEB interface stays in DARK theme, and despite changing it to Windows Media Center and unticking seasonal themes, allow theme music - the settings do not stay on exit of the browser and relaunch. Prior to the update it was Windows Media Center Theme and not Dark theme anyway.

4. I previously used Schedules Direct for Live TV in the UK. I went to add EMBY TV GUIDE to be greeted by an error "There was an error downloading tv lineups. Please ensure your information is correct and try again". I went through the logs and there was some .NET looking exceptions (attached the log!). I did not delete the schedules direct config first.

5. The metadata for 3D and type MVC was all reset for every applicable movie in the metadata manager. This information was not previously in the XML meta data, but directly entered into the database on 3.5.3-18.

6. Going to the web client I always have to login now. Previously it just went straight in (could be cookie thing?).

Other than these issue above I think the rest of the upgrade was fine. It did not take more than 20 mins and I have around 27TB of content (1000's of music, music videos, television and movies and around 200 photos)

ADDTV.txt

Edited by unisoft

Hi, we're sorry to hear about your issues. I will respond to each of these.

Going to the web client I always have to login now. Previously it just went straight in (could be cookie thing?).

Is browsing data getting cleared by any chance, or are you in incognito mode?

I previously used Schedules Direct for Live TV in the UK. I went to add EMBY TV GUIDE to be greeted by an error "There was an error downloading tv lineups. Please ensure your information is correct and try again". I went through the logs and there was some .NET looking exceptions (attached the log!). I did not delete the schedules direct config first.

Try just using the first part of your zip code.

3. The WEB interface stays in DARK theme, and despite changing it to Windows Media Center and unticking seasonal themes, allow theme music - the settings do not stay on exit of the browser and relaunch. Prior to the update it was Windows Media Center Theme and not Dark theme anyway.

This is most likely linked to #6.

1. COLLECTIONS in Movie library - None are listed. All gone. Collections previously defined by collection.xml only and all worked 100%.

How were the collections created?

2. Adding new items into Movie library are not showing under LATEST MOVIES despite date being correct of today (19/01/2018 UK Date format) in meta manager

Are these movies marked as watched? How does their date added compare to the movies that you do see?

unisoft

Are these movies marked as watched? How does their date added compare to the movies that you do see?

hello,

These are brand new movies and unwatched.

In both the LG App 1.09 and the web app (4.0.0.2), they suddenly do not appear after upgrade BUT on the ROKU app, they appear BUT at the very end of the scrolling list.

On 3.5.3-18 they appeared on all, with web and Roku having them at the very front of the list of Latest Movies.

unisoft

Hi, we're sorry to hear about your issues. I will respond to each of these.

Is browsing data getting cleared by any chance, or are you in incognito mode?

Try just using the first part of your zip code.

Hello,

Yes, entering just the first 4 characters of a UK post code worked - normally we would put all 7 characters with a space after the third character making 8 in total. This should be noted on-screen for "United Kingdom" or all 7/8 chars dealt with. Some post codes are like "W1A 1AA" or "PE12 5XE" so vary.

Another point to note, the list of tv operators in the drop down is wrong for FREEVIEW. It is not "Freeview - Cable" but "Freeview - Antenna/Aerial" - Freeview in the UK is the commercial name for DVB-T and DVB-T2 services from a land tv transmitter.

Thanks for resolving this one.

Edited by unisoft

unisoft

How were the collections created?

ALL of my collections were populated from collection.xml files and all worked in 3.5.3-18. It seems 4.0.0.2-1 just completely ignored them?

The beauty was a scan just created them, I didn't have to migrate lots of collections by creating by hand in Emby itself.

solabc16

Hello @@unisoft

We did pickup the issue with UK postcodes late in testing, unfortunately a solution didn't make itself into the initial 4.0 release.

Can you clarify what you mean with regard to the TV operators?

The channel IDs for Freeview can be different in the case of cable providers, so I'm not surprised to see this here. If you are receiving Freeview over the air, then you'd select the 'Local Over the Air Broadbast' option.

5c4451fb4a596_guide_data_setup_uk.jpg

Regarding the collections, this sounds similar to https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66632-3520-36077-collections-did-not-migrate/?hl=%20collections%20%20empty

Best

- James

unisoft

So you did not create these using the web interface?

No.

Already had collections done under MB 2.6.2, so had couple hundred folders with collection.xml in them, which worked 100% under 3.5.3-18.

unisoft

Hello @@unisoft

We did pickup the issue with UK postcodes late in testing, unfortunately a solution didn't make itself into the initial 4.0 release.

Can you clarify what you mean with regard to the TV operators?

The channel IDs for Freeview can be different in the case of cable providers, so I'm not surprised to see this here. If you are receiving Freeview over the air, then you'd select the 'Local Over the Air Broadbast' option.

5c4451fb4a596_guide_data_setup_uk.jpg

Regarding the collections, this sounds similar to https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66632-3520-36077-collections-did-not-migrate/?hl=%20collections%20%20empty

Best

- James

Thanks.

Those description's used by your provider are a bit awry for the UK. "Youview" is not CABLE at all. It's a combination of Freeview over the air DVB-T and DVB-T2 and extra IPTV channels from selected ISP's.

• Freeview is really just over the air DVBT and DVB-T2 from land transmitters. The service has different channels for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland

• Cable Tv (Virgin media) - Freeview OTA channels are carried by Cable TV - but they are on ANY cable tv subscriber package, which in the UK is just Virgin Media as they have bought out all the operators and merged. Again, regional and national differences due to different headends in areas and regional local tv news.

• Sky Satellite DVBs, DVB-S2. Its normally just one lot of EPG data for free to air channels and the subscription channels (whether SD or HD). This is based on postcode because of free to air differences per region and nation as above.

•  "Freesat from Sky" - this IS a subset of channels and normally free to air from Sky, but extra free to air that only is transmitted on satellite and not land transmitter as well.This is based on postcode because of free to air differences per region and nation as above. You need a suitable SKY receiver STB and a decryption card. Its a one off fee for box/card. The card has to be replaced when Sky change encryption which is random and usually years apart.

•  "Freesat" - this is free to air channels and extra free to air but not owned and managed by Sky. It doesn't require any decryption cards unlike Freesat from Sky service.This is based on postcode because of free to air differences per region and nation as above

• Youview - This is Freeview OTA, and a few ISP's that offer their own bundles of IPTV delivered channels (normally channels from a satellite package). Same variations regionally and nationally as Freeview service. BT and TalkTalk offer their own IPTV bundles in addition to the Freeview channels. For people who bought their own Youview box or TV, but not connected to these ISP's, the standard Freeview service is received (again national and regional variations)
Edited by unisoft

solabc16

Thanks @@unisoft, yeah they can be a little clumsy. I used to use Schedules Direct, and the best fit for over the air broadcast was Youview.

When I spoke to them, this was indeed a pragmatic decision, as it provided a super-set of the channel listing with the same identifiers.

I'm based in the UK, so I do understand what you're saying.

Best

- James

unisoft

Thanks @@unisoft, yeah they can be a little clumsy. I used to use Schedules Direct, and the best fit for over the air broadcast was Youview.

When I spoke to them, this was indeed a pragmatic decision, as it provided a super-set of the channel listing with the same identifiers.

I'm based in the UK, so I do understand what you're saying.

Best

- James

Collections are just broke in upgrade from 3.5.3-18 to 4.0.0.2-1.

I had collections using collection.xml in each of the applicable folders with sub folders for the movies belonging to it. All was fine when created under 3.5.3.

I had JUST ONE collection created using the meta manager ADD TO COLLECTION function. Both types did not migrate and now have a completely blank COLLECTIONS view. Favourites view migrated successfully and unaffected.

Full library scans and people refresh scan all done.

Everything else migrated successfully, and once I entered the first part of post code only, the Emby TV provider now working fine instead of Schedules Direct, and all my series and upcoming recordings were fine on upgrade.

solabc16

Hello @@unisoft

As an example, from an SSH session, can you output the content of an example broken collection - perhaps one from each type.

cat /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data/collections/<your_collection_name_here>/collection.xml

Best

- James
Edited by solabc16

No.

Already had collections done under MB 2.6.2, so had couple hundred folders with collection.xml in them, which worked 100% under 3.5.3-18.

Ok, I apologize but these are no longer supported. You'll need to use the web interface to create collections.

unisoft

Ok, I apologize but these are no longer supported. You'll need to use the web interface to create collections.

Hell, I wish that was in the Release Notes!

That's a heck of collections to create with no backups of collection.xml if Emby was uninstalled and re-installed :(

I could understand no new imports - but would have the thought the migration would keep existing and migrated to the DB (if not already in there).

That's going to eat days of time to try and do......

Edited by unisoft

unisoft

This is most likely linked to #6.

This was solved. In DEVICES in the dashboard, every time I used the EDGE browser, it was creating a new device.

The browser was set to clear files on exit and this was the culprit. Deleted the excess edge devices and changed this browser setting and all OK now for this particular issue of logging every time and the web theme sticking.