Allow Media Deletion by Folder

kevinw

I suspect my use case may be unusual but...

I see it's now possible to allow library access by folder, not just libraries. I'd like to see a similar feature for media deletion, i.e. allow content from some library folders to be deleted but not others.

Why would I want that? Our documentaries library (and others) contains content that we'll watch once and then delete and other content we want to keep. The keep and watch-once content is held in separate folders and I'd like to protect the keep content from accidental deletion.

Kevin

mastrmind11

simple work around would be to set permissions on the keep content to not allow for deletion.  this can be done at the folder level so that all new files added to folder will inherit the proper permissions so you don't have to remember to do it every time you add a new file (at least its possible on Linux, anyway)

App functionality would be better IMO as it’s a simple check box which would result in the app not offering the delete option for keep folder files rather than the server trying to delete then failing. Given the code is there for access it ought to be relatively easy to implement for deletion.

I do agree that would be a very valid workaround though if only I hadn”t proved to be too stupid to set it up when I tried!

I know next to nothing about Linux and my primary storage is on a QNAP NAS which also hosts a Plex (and now Emby) server and Sonarr. Once I’d realised permissions weren’t being inherited from the receiving parent folder but coming with the file I couldn’t figure out a way I could have some files coming from Sonarr that Plex could delete and some that Plex couldn’t. Maybe there’s a way but it was beyond me.

I don’t need to have any understanding of Linux to check a few boxes in the Emby server configuration.

Kevin

Edited by kevinw

• 7 months later...

I know this is old but, having been forced by a Windows update to change the way our PCs access the NAS, I finally set up permissions so that Emby server only had read access to the folders I don't want anything deleted from.

That had the desired effect but there was an unwanted side-effect - I have emby set up to store metadata in the same folder as the media which of course no longer worked once emby couldn't write to the folder.

Kevin