Mixed Content Library Features

kevinw

One of the things I really like about Emby is the ability to have Mixed Content libraries. We currently have three of them and I really appreciate being able to set them up that way as it makes things easier to manage and use. What would make things even better is for Mixed Content libraries to have the same features as other library types.

Two of our Mixed Content libraries - Documentaries and Motorcycling - contain a mix of TV series' and DVDs. I'd like to make collections of some of the content but Collections don't seem to be available for Mixed Content libraries. Our Documentaries library contains TV series' that may be spread across more than one folder (for good reason) but the ability to merge TV series' in separate folders isn't there for Mixed Content libraries.

Our Guitar Mixed Content library contains guitar lessons which can be video or audio. I'd like to be able to access both file types from a single Mixed Content library as that makes it easier for our usage. Unfortunately the library doesn't show any of the audio files and I assume from the response to my query as to why I couldn't get it to work that Mixed Content doesn't support that particular mix.

Mixed content libraries is something I see people asking for in other fora so it's an advantage you have over at least one of your competitors (I don't know why I'm being cagey about using the 'Plex' word!) so I assume our usage isn't that unusual.

I guess my feature request is for you to make Mixed Content libraries as feature rich as other library types.

Kevin

Hi, the reason it's not as feature rich is because some the features can end up causing false detection as the wrong type. This is something you don't run into with the dedicated library types.

Hi Luke, Unfortunately that still happens without the extra features. I've got DVDs that have been identified as TV series and vice versa with no idea how to correct them but the ability to mix content is still worth having to me.

Kevin

Mixed Content is still worth having IMO.

Should I be adding a feature request to allow me to correct misidentified media types? ;)

Kevin

I was going to retire gracefully from this one but I thought I'd try changing the library type to TV Shows and see if I could persuade that to do what I wanted.

If Emby comes to the decision a file originates from a DVD rather than a TV Series it appears not to be displayed in the library at all unless folder view is used. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Thanks.

Kevin

I was going to retire gracefully from this one but I thought I'd try changing the library type to TV Shows and see if I could persuade that to do what I wanted.

If Emby comes to the decision a file originates from a DVD rather than a TV Series it appears not to be displayed in the library at all unless folder view is used. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Thanks.

Kevin

No, that's not true. Have you followed the naming convention?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

Can you go over an example? Thanks.

I think so but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Documentaries (Keep) is one of the folders in the library. The structure is:

Documentaries (Keep)\

Churchill's Darkest Decision\

Season 01

Churchill's Darkest Decision S01E01 Churchill's Darkest Decision.avi

It's not actually a TV series but if I structure it that way it's seen as a TV series in Plex and your naming convention looks pretty similar.

I'm struggling to show you how it looks as in Show view you can see all folders but in Folder view it obviously only shows files from that folder. I've given  it a go anyway in the attachments.

In the Mixed Content version of this library it appears as I'd expect it to.

Please ignore the fact that the order of two of the shows is different in the screen grabs. I changed the Sort Name of one of them when I thought I'd finished then grabbed the Mixed Content library view and didn't think about what I'd done until I'd posted them.

This is just one example, there are others named in this format that Emby isn't showing in the TV Show type library.

I expect it's something I've done but I can't see it.

Kevin

post-403722-0-18968600-1548007513_thumb.jpg

post-403722-0-68862300-1548007521_thumb.jpg

post-403722-0-20518400-1548007530_thumb.jpg

post-403722-0-70396000-1548007709_thumb.jpg

post-403722-0-90113700-1548008131_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevinw

Documentaries (Keep)\

Season 01

Is that what you're asking Luke?

Kevin

post-403722-0-77518600-1548012662_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevinw

Ok yes there is an issue in 4.0 with series in mixed content that have only a single episode being incorrectly detected as a movie. We are looking into that. Thanks.

Then no, sorry i misread. it must be something different. I don't quite understand what the issue is. What do you see when you click on it?

Did you look at the attachments? The issue is that in a library with type TV Shows Churchill's Darkest Decision isn't showing at all in Shows view. The only way I can see it in that library is in Folders view.

Kevin

Happy2Play

I think so but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Documentaries (Keep)\

Season 01

It's not actually a TV series but if I structure it that way it's seen as a TV series in Plex and your naming convention looks pretty similar.

I'm struggling to show you how it looks as in Show view you can see all folders but in Folder view it obviously only shows files from that folder. I've given  it a go anyway in the attachments.

In the Mixed Content version of this library it appears as I'd expect it to.

Please ignore the fact that the order of two of the shows is different in the screen grabs. I changed the Sort Name of one of them when I thought I'd finished then grabbed the Mixed Content library view and didn't think about what I'd done until I'd posted them.

This is just one example, there are others named in this format that Emby isn't showing in the TV Show type library.

I expect it's something I've done but I can't see it.

Kevin

My test machine is on 4.1.0.1 and I had no issue adding the exact named structure to TV Content type and it displaying like a normal series.  I did have all metadata options enabled on the library.

Retested on portable 4.0.0.2 with same results.  Created TV Shows library and did not change any library options (all default).  Library had no existing metadata.

Yes there is online metadata for this series/episode.

5c450360423b6_test.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Yes, I did scan - it was showing in Folders view but not in Shows view so Emby knew it was there.

I had two libraries pointing to the same three folders. One of them was Mixed Content and the other was of type TV Shows. I wondered whether that was confusing Emby so I deleted both libraries, restarted the server then added a single library for the folders with type TV Shows. That seems to have sorted it out and all content is now being displayed.

I was somewhat confused as to how a file called D-Day 6.6.1944 S01E01-02 Part One + Part Two.avi was identified as 6abc Dunkin' Donuts Thanksgiving Day Parade(!) but telling Emby to identify it then giving D-Day 6.6.1944 as the name quickly sorted that out.

My Wife tells me she finds Emby on the iPad easier to get content into (She said, and I quote, "It just works!") so we're ready to make the switch now, not least because of the level of support in these fora, so I've just purchased a 'lifetime' Emby Premier license. Thank you for your help.

Kevin

Hi Luke,

No, but thank you for checking. As per my post just above yours, I deleted both libraries that were pointing to the folders, restarted the Emby server, then re-created one library with type TV Shows. Everything was found and I've had no more issues.

Kevin