QNAP TS-877 hardware acceleration

cparadela
Go to solution Solved by Trexx,

cparadela

Hello everyone,

I'm using emby for around a month also with the premiere key as well. I have the QNAP TS-877 and planning to buy a GeForce® GTX 1060 Mini. The question is, will I get some advantage by getting that card when I'm using emby? Will the transcoding or performance when I'm playing a 4K UHD movie will be increased? 

So far I'm able to watch a movie 4k HDR or UHD without a problem by using pure CPU processing power, but I don't know if adding a GPU will make things better.

Hope I can explain myself correctly. 

Hi, it depends on how you define better. It won't necessarily make it look better. What it might do is allow you to offload that transcoding to the GPU so that the machine can perform other tasks at the same time. Does that help answer your question?

• Like 1

• Solution

It currently won’t work due to Qnaps NVidia drivers being too old. Supposedly Qnap will be updating their Nvidia drivers once they have released QTS 4.4.

Edited by Trexx
  • Like 1

cparadela

Thanks for answering Luke. For sure I know the load will be processed by the GPU, but according to Trexx's mention, the problem will be the QNAP not using the graphic card resources (that's what I guess). I'm not using emby over a Windows or Linux virtual machine. It's running as an application installed straight on the QNAP (.qpkg).

Yes and the outdated driver issue is true as well, so you may want to wait until QTS 4.4 is released before making your decision.

cparadela

Yes and the outdated driver issue is true as well, so you may want to wait until QTS 4.4 is released before making your decision.

Thanks for your answer. With that said I won't buy something that's not going to be used for what I need. Just curious, how is possible to use the graphic card assuming this issue would never existed before?

• 4 weeks later...
seer_tenedos

Any idea when QTS 4.4 is expected to be released? I have a TVS-1282 and Quadro P2000 but just released i can't use the quadro for encoding in emby cause of the stupid nvidia driver being too old.

phillipmcmahon

They have it in testing for a whole bunch of models, I have a TS-673 and desperately hoping 4.4 provides newer drivers that enable both Plex and Emby to take advantage of my 1050 TI...

• 4 weeks later...
OneCD

Well, it kinda-sorta has-been for a small number of NAS models since January:

/Storage/TS-X53D/TS-X53D_20190119-4.4.0.0820.zip
/Storage/TS-X72/TS-X72_20190119-4.4.0.0820.zip
/Storage/TS-X72U/TS-X72U_20190119-4.4.0.0820.zip

... but still no-word regarding timelines for all other current models.

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=146416

PenkethBoy

as always there are exceptions with QNAP - new hardware thats not compatible with the old kernel etc

OneCD

Agree.

I suspect QNAP are using those models as guinea-pigs to test QTS 4.4. :D

PenkethBoy

Yes glad i'm not a guinea-pig - based on the number of 4.3.5/6 updates that have caused huge problems for users

Although the last couple of updates have addressed bugs quickly (for qnap) ;)

• 2 months later...
Moogle Stiltzkin

Emby would detect it and use it automatically, assuming a compatible driver version.

testing with the emby and with QTS 4.4.1

https://www.qnap.com/qts/

i don't see the hardware transcoding for nvidia graphics card working (i have use hardware acceleration enabled, then i check the video stats during playback to confirm status). then again i don't have premiere, maybe thats why.

i'd love to help test if i could    :(

ts-877 + nvidia 1050 gtx graphics card

Edited by Moogle Stiltzkin

Did you try changing the option to advanced to see if anything was detected?

Moogle Stiltzkin

Did you try changing the option to advanced to see if anything was detected?

let me check then get back to you. i thought i did.

i see this

kubGBbY.jpg

so i tried to play a video but i'm not sure it's using the gpu :/

Edited by Moogle Stiltzkin

Well that looks very good ! The fact that they're being detected shows that it should work, given Emby Premiere. This is the first time we've ever seen Nvidia GPU's detected on QNAP.

• Like 1

phillipmcmahon

Seems to be doing something with the GPU. I forced a transcode and the GPU usage for the first time went from 0% to non 0%.

However I still see high CPU utilisation, even on movies that are direct streaming. I was seeing 33% CPU on one movie playback whereas the same in Plex was under 3%.

• Like 1

Seems to be doing something with the GPU. I forced a transcode and the GPU usage for the first time went from 0% to non 0%.

However I still see high CPU utilisation, even on movies that are direct streaming. I was seeing 33% CPU on one movie playback whereas the same in Plex was under 3%.

We'd have to look at an example. Thanks.