No subtitle playback for synced files

KingK

Hi,

after syncing files to the current Emby iOS app the subtitles don't show up when playing back the files.

The subtitles are't embedded but separate srt files on the Emby server in the same directory as the media file.

They play back without a problem when played online directly from the server.

No conversion/transcoding takes place while syncing, I'll sync them as "Original."

I can select the subtitle in the UI on the device and the media info on the device looks like the titles are there, they just don't show up.

Any idea?

Just had the chance to do an additional test. Syncing the same file with the same settings to an Android device works perfectly, i.e. the subtitles are show.

Might be jumping to a conclusion but looks more like an iOS app than a server problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@@KingK are you still seeing this with the latest version of the app and Emby Server? I re-tested and was able to play subtitles with downloaded videos. Thanks.

Opera_of_Death

@@Luke I can confirm that the problem is still not fixed.

I downloaded one movie to my iPad AIR 2 with Emby for iOS 1.7.7. From my Emby server that is on a Synology NAS 412+. Server version is 4.1.1.0.

The movie is h264 mkv that was shrunk in quality using the 4 Mbps setting. Haven't tested with original setting because I don't have the space on my iPad.

The subtitle is an srt file as KingK used. It looks like everything is fine when you check the file infos before starting the movie.

This movie actually have two separate audio options (default 7.1 and audio commentary) and both work. But it chooses the wrong one from start. I wan't the default but get commentary. But I can change it so it's no real problem but would be nice if you fix in the future. This can be because the audio files loose what language it is when downloaded. It says undefined on both tracks.

The subtitle don't work at all. When starting the movie it chooses no subtitle by default. That is strange because in my setting I have set it to always show subtitles if the audio is not in my main language (Swedish). This maybe also is because of the undefined audio problem. And I don't get to choose before starting the movie as you do if you stream the movie. But even when I choose the srt while the movie plays nothing happens.

This is the first time I tried. I am going on a trip abroad so thought of testing the feature. The problem is that this movie is not only in English so I really need the subs.

I understand that you can't fix it before I leave but please try and figure these things out for the future. And I hope that the Apple TV app gets some more love and all features thats on all other apps in the future ;)

Thanks!!!

KingK

Hi @@Luke,

Very much the same situation for me as for @@Opera_of_Death. It's still not working as expected for me.

I'm using the newest iOS version and the newest Emby server on my Synology NAS.

In my case it's a HEVC h256 encoded video with a single audio track. The subtitle file is in the same folder as the video as a separate file. I'll sync them with the "Original" setting to an iPad Pro 2019 with the latest iOS.

The file is streaming perfectly from the server directly. The synced video doesn't play the subtitles.

I noticed something on my Microsoft Surface last week when I tested the sync there (I'm testing sync on a regular basis since I never got it working properly so far). I was syncing the same video with the same settings to the Surface instead of the iPad. Didn't worked there either, so I took a look at the sync folder on the device. The file is there, but the subtitle file is missing.

Could it be that the subtile file isn't transferred to the device. Should it be remuxed/converted/burned in during the sync process? 

Thanks!

joydashy

I just started using Emby and have tested one season of a TV-show for offline sync on IOS. The subs work perfectly fine when playing online, but the downloaded files have no subs. The subtitle button does not show up either (but perhaps that's always the case).

Ok, there are some changes in progress related to this. Please try again with the next (coming soon) update to the app. Thanks.

joydashy

Ok, there are some changes in progress related to this. Please try again with the next (coming soon) update to the app. Thanks.

Ok great!

To be sure, tested with another TV show, one episode, same issue.

• 5 months later...
ChrisJ60

I have the same scenario (SRT files in same folder as video files on server) and direct playback shows subtitles but download/sync does not. Very latest version of Emby server on macOS (4.2.1.0) and latest Emby app on iOS (1.8.6). I need this to work; can this be fixed please.

It still isn't working for me too.

I'm on the latest iOS and server version (on macOS and Synology) and it's the same situation as in January "I can select the subtitle in the UI on the device and the media info on the device looks like the titles are there, they just don't show up."

The video is mostly HEVC and files and subtitles are two files in the same folder. Direct playback works perfectly.

Basically the same situation like @@ChrisJ60

@@Luke

hi, i have the same issue with the lastes version(the newest server, emby for koid and IOS client). When I choose the Chinese subtitle, it doesn't work any way. But it works in PotPlayer-x64 on Windows 10.

I find the issue for such ass subtitles is because the format line in Events section: Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding

After update to: Format: Layer, Start, End, Style, Actor, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text   , the subtitle works for all clients.
Hope this could help you fix the issue.
Thanks.
Edited by monokoo

• 1 month later...

Our next app update will have updated mpv player libraries so that may help with .ass subtitle rendering. Thanks.