Apple TV won't connect

metisqueen

metisqueen

Hi,

I bought an Apple TV 4th generation a couple of months ago and I had it up and running great with emby and now all of a sudden it will not connect whatsoever.  I have also tried to connect with my Fire Tablet and it sees the server but cannot connect to it.

To give you some info:

Apple TV 4th Generation running tvOS 12.1.1. (16K45)

I am running the server on a HP Laptop running Windows 10

Emby is running version 4.0.0.2

Also a couple days ago it started failing with trying to find the updates yet it claims I'm up to date.

When I go in all I get after the starting up page is connect with either manually entering the server or emby connect, neither of which work.

Please help, my provider nor apple could help and this is why I bought the Apple TV 4th

Thanks

I'm having the same problem. Emby works on my other devices, Computer and iPhone, but won't open on Apple TV. I have 2 apple tv devices in my home and none will connect. 

I'm having the same problem. Emby works on my other devices, Computer and iPhone, but won't open on Apple TV. I have 2 apple tv devices in my home and none will connect. 

@@Fayzie can you describe exactly what is happening? Thanks !

• Like 1

When I click on the app it starts to load then the screen goes blank, then a few seconds later it goes back to the main Apple TV apps menu. 

Hi,

I bought an Apple TV 4th generation a couple of months ago and I had it up and running great with emby and now all of a sudden it will not connect whatsoever.  I have also tried to connect with my Fire Tablet and it sees the server but cannot connect to it.

To give you some info:

Apple TV 4th Generation running tvOS 12.1.1. (16K45)

I am running the server on a HP Laptop running Windows 10

Emby is running version 4.0.0.2

Also a couple days ago it started failing with trying to find the updates yet it claims I'm up to date.

When I go in all I get after the starting up page is connect with either manually entering the server or emby connect, neither of which work.

Please help, my provider nor apple could help and this is why I bought the Apple TV 4th

Thanks

This sounds like a firewall is blocking your server.  Please check the rules on the server machine and make sure there are no blocking rules and also that there are rules allowing UDP/TCP.

Thanks.

metisqueen

Hi there, are you able to connect with any other devices on your network., such as a smart phone?

Hi,

No I tried on my tablet and was unable to connect 

metisqueen

This sounds like a firewall is blocking your server.  Please check the rules on the server machine and make sure there are no blocking rules and also that there are rules allowing UDP/TCP.

Thanks.

Hi

No I have no other firewall up and I have opened those UDP/TCP ports in my router as well.  I have also checked the rules as well 

Let's focus on  manually entering the server address. When you do that, what address are you entering, and where did you get it from?

I have tried that and I get it from the dashboard. I use the first number

And what happens if you use a web browser on your phone or tablet and go to "ipadress of your Emby server":8096

metisqueen

And what happens if you use a web browser on your phone or tablet and go to "ipadress of your Emby server":8096

Hi,

I get the error the site cannot be reached http://.... is unreachable.   The actual app on my tablet can see my server but then comes back and says that it cannot connect to the server.  

Edited by metisqueen

Hi,

I get the error the site cannot be reached http://.... is unreachable. The actual app on my tablet can see my server but then comes back and says that it cannot connect to the server.

Can you list the local ip addresses of your Emby server, tablet, phone and Apple TV ? Edited by Senna

metisqueen

Can you list the local ip addresses of your Emby server, tablet, phone and Apple TV ?

Hi,

The server (my laptop) is 192.168.1.69 

My iphone is 192.168.1.65

I however don't know the ip of the Apple

Edited by metisqueen

Can you check Windows Firewall to see if there are any rules blocking Emby Server? 

Can you also confirm that Emby Server is actively running and you can use the web interface on the server machine? Thanks.

metisqueen

Can you check Windows Firewall to see if there are any rules blocking Emby Server? 

Can you also confirm that Emby Server is actively running and you can use the web interface on the server machine? Thanks.

Hi,

No there are no rules in the firewall that are blocking the server, in fact I have the firewall right off.  Emby is actively running and I can use the interface, it works fine on the computer but no devices will connect to my network so what the heck??

Are your iPhone and Apple TV connected to a Wifi network that is NOT your Guest network ? Otherwise your router could block access between your devices.

metisqueen

Are your iPhone and Apple TV connected to a Wifi network that is NOT your Guest network ? Otherwise your router could block access between your devices.

No they are connected to my private wifi...

metisqueen

I am at such a huge loss here.  Just to update some more info, I have reset my apple back to factory redownloaded, reopened my emby as administrative and nothing.  Plus I forgot to mention that I tried it today on my daughter's laptop works just fine....is it my computer maybe? I've been thinking about putting it back to factory, this would glinch it lol

Hope we figure it out soon :o

Edited by metisqueen

metisqueen

Please let us know if this helps, and yes, a factory reset could be something to try as well.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help and yes a factory reset which did not delete my files worked and now Emby is connecting again.  The reset brought me back a version of 
Windows which leads me to believe that maybe the update bonked the server??? What does everyone else think?? If that was the case then I will not be updating Windows from this point forward....any ideas??

A windows update could have affected network settings. It has happened repeatedly with windows 10, and then users come here thinking something is wrong with Emby.