Legacy folder view broken

StingerMeGood

In my entire libraries I have no longer any library with Content = Movies, they all are now either Content = TV Shows or Content = Mixed. In my EHS the libraries are listed from there I go into Animations, Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos, Documentaries and Sports. I use Throgmorton's themes paid $50 for his 10 themes and he is the ONLY one left to support themes for EMC except the free one Chocolate which is EBR's creation. It is worth to me to support such dedication and the navigation plus informative display is bar none tops.

In my Web client the nested folders come first and then the movies in alphabetical order. The same in the EMC client.

Look at some of the screen shots that I posted in the following threads as well as more of the similar problems discussed in those threads. To best of my knowledge this has not been solved and the change of content may not be the final solution. Since my setup now works to my liking I have disabled all updates for my HTPC and will deal with newer versions on my QNAP NAS.

Similar to legacy / nested folder views (Collections)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68592-with-update-to-version-4010-the-way-forward-to-show-collections-in-emc/

My experience on updating the server and EMC with some problems.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68244-my-update-to-ver-4002-plus-emc-throgsoft-themes-experience/

Folder stacking and again some screen shots.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68572-disc-1-disc-2-folders-stacking/

Hope you get your problem solved I know it is a pain for the Devs to sort through all the issues.

• 1 month later...
shavid0610

Hi all

So finally got sick of looking at my movie collections running around loose in the my movie view on EMC so I deleted the movie folder from the Configure Emby Dashboard and re-imported it as a Mixed Content folder.

Sadly, no luck.  My collections are still not showing up in WMC as a collection.

What do I need to do to get it to gat back to the way it was where all the movies in collections would be under a folder ie "Star Wars Collection" folder would have all the star wars movies under it?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank You

Edited by shavid0610

• 2 weeks later...
StingerMeGood

I am fairly annoyed that a system that was put in place from the beginning, a guideline to folder structures by the devs, has been made redundant without so much as a question to the users. And now we just have to change our entire media folder structure over because they went in a new direction. Pretty shitty move to be honest.

I love this program, and have no intention of leaving it. Just sucks I have to stay on an old version until I get phased out...

I am fairly annoyed that a system that was put in place from the beginning, a guideline to folder structures by the devs, has been made redundant without so much as a question to the users. And now we just have to change our entire media folder structure over because they went in a new direction. Pretty shitty move to be honest. I love this program, and have no intention of leaving it. Just sucks I have to stay on an old version until I get phased out...

Hi. We apologize but this happened years ago with lots and lots of discussion around it...

It just became impossible for us to continue to support something we had moved away from a long time ago.

Thanks.

One2Go

Hi. We apologize but this happened years ago with lots and lots of discussion around it...

It just became impossible for us to continue to support something we had moved away from a long time ago.

Thanks.

To be fare to the users comment, I just did a quick search and in the release notes and announcements for version 4 of Emby server, there is not a single mentioning of legacy folders and when searching for folders in the 5 page release note you do have comments of people complaining about not having a display of collections that are grouped under a single folder.

I do believe that you have discussed how to go forward but perhaps only in the dev sections or beta sections but the average user could not have known and in hind side I also believe you underestimated the impact this change would have on your uses. I know you frequently mentioned that the Legacy view is legacy and no longer supported but that is buried in threads when it should have been in the release notes and announcements with a glaring appearance of BE AWARE. I personally would have thought twice before updating.

As expressed by @@StingerMeGood I also do like Emby and fully support it, but love to be in an informed position so that I can decide what to do. From my posts here in the forum, you can see I am trying to help people to get back to a setup with version 4.* that resembles the navigation, display and structure what users of version 3.* were used to and want some of the enhancements of version 4.* For me the only reason for updating to version 4.* was ONLY live TV nothing else since I am in the EMC world. Those type of users got the short end of the stick when updating.

Also @@StingerMeGood expected that a path or a guide by the devs would be provided that helps those users with the legacy folder problem to get back to using Emby rather then fixing their setup. I am now on version 4.0.1.0 and have instituted a practice to dissect release announcements post questions regarding changes to nested folders then update the server and if it doesn't work rename the old server folder and delete the updated server folder. This would serve well to all those that complain about the legacy folder changes, they have an updated Data Base and an easy way to stay at a release that they are happy with. Again @@StingerMeGood expected something similar from the devs here not from users that are trying to get back to what they had with a new server version.

Again I am fully supportive of Emby and hopefully this experience will contribute to a smoother migration to the next major update.

• Like 1

One2Go

I understand but the discussions I was referring to took place a long time ago.  Here is one example from 2017:

Old style Collections\Boxset finally deprecated?

We tried to continue to support these types of structures for as long as we could but could no longer let it hold back other functionality.

Thanks.

I posted in that thread, but it was not made clear if just the folders with the "[boxset]" feature or collection feature was effected. It would have been helpful for all of us that now have to find a way to get back to the look and feel of version 3.* to state what the LAST version is that provides this functionality and look and feel for the nested folder structure. It would be helpful to keep the clientele using the BDMV folder structure in EMC aware of the versions that work and what the last version is that provides this functionality in case you decide to change that also.

Bottom line please keep those users informed that are happy with their present setup in case that an update would make them loose their preferences. In that way no complaining and an informed user can make the decision to update or stay with the current server version.

All of us appreciate the hard work you do and we are ready to help monetarily and otherwise as you are trying to take Emby to a new level. But just from the reading of some comments in this forum, some users are still happy with Media Browser 2.6.* so some of us will be happy to stop updating our servers with a version that fills our current needs. We just need to know what that version is. We keep our eyes peeled on the release notes and announcements not necesarily on the forum threads.

Edited by One2Go

shavid0610

As expressed by @@StingerMeGood I also do like Emby and fully support it, but love to be in an informed position so that I can decide what to do. From my posts here in the forum, you can see I am trying to help people to get back to a setup with version 4.* that resembles the navigation, display and structure what users of version 3.* were used to and want some of the enhancements of version 4.* For me the only reason for updating to version 4.* was ONLY live TV nothing else since I am in the EMC world. Those type of users got the short end of the stick when updating.

Are you able to help me figure out how to get my EMC back to show nested collections?  Driving me crazy at present and I can't figure out how to make it work in any way that will show collections grouped together.

Thank you

Are you able to help me figure out how to get my EMC back to show nested collections?  Driving me crazy at present and I can't figure out how to make it work in any way that will show collections grouped together.

Thank you

Hi, do your collections show as desired in the Emby web app?

One2Go

Thank you

What you need to do is as pointed out in this thread, get the latest EMC client (Beta) plus the latest server version, I decided to stay on 4.0.1.0 for the time being, but try 4.0.3.0. Then in addition you need to change all libraries that have Content=Movies to Content=Mixed and you get the nested folder view back.

shavid0610

Hi, do your collections show as desired in the Emby web app?

Hi 

No they do not.  If I browse my library in the web client the movies that should be in collections are just floating around loose and if I click on collections there are no movies or collections in that view at all.

shavid0610

What you need to do is as pointed out in this thread, get the latest EMC client (Beta) plus the latest server version, I decided to stay on 4.0.1.0 for the time being, but try 4.0.3.0. Then in addition you need to change all libraries that have Content=Movies to Content=Mixed and you get the nested folder view back.

Hi

I believe I have done this already and it did not work.  I am running Server 4.0.3.0 and EMC 3.0.317.0 and I changed my movie folder to mixed content as mentioned earlier in this thread, however the collections are still not nesting in EMC or on the web client.

Sharon

Hi

I believe I have done this already and it did not work.  I am running Server 4.0.3.0 and EMC 3.0.317.0 and I changed my movie folder to mixed content as mentioned earlier in this thread, however the collections are still not nesting in EMC or on the web client.

Sharon

Did you create your collections with the web app?

If not, and instead, they are based on file/folder structure, those are no longer recognized as collections in Emby.  They are just folders.

shavid0610

Did you create your collections with the web app?

If not, and instead, they are based on file/folder structure, those are no longer recognized as collections in Emby.  They are just folders.

Hi

No I didn't as I was unaware this was even an option. 

I had the system set up with folder structure the way it used to be and then used legacy folders to keep it the same so I really have not even looked at the newer features of Emby and don't use the web interface at all.

I was hoping to never have to tweak anything and it would just continue on the way we liked it and were used to but seems like that is not possible.

I have been doing some reading on the forum and it seems like I need to install auto box set plug in and hope for the best.

Will I need to remove all of my collection movies from their collection folders on my hard drive for this plug in to work or can I keep them in the folders for tidiness?

Also, will the collections show up in nested collection folders under the Movie Folder on my EMC or will they only show up under collections?  I'd like them to just be in the movie folder where they used to be but nested correctly

Thanks for your help

If you get them setup as proper collections in Emby, then they will next in the views in EMC (provided you turn on that option).  You should be able to keep the current file structure, but I would suggest flattening it out.

One2Go

Hi

Sharon

Also, will the collections show up in nested collection folders under the Movie Folder on my EMC or will they only show up under collections?  I'd like them to just be in the movie folder where they used to be but nested correctly

Your problem may be that you are running server version 4.0.3.0 which I am NOT using. After updating my setup to that version I found out that it does not do the folder view as expected and I simply deleted the version 4.0.3.0 system folder and renamed the old system folder. That is the easy way to get back to the previous version 4.* of the Emby server. I have stayed with version 4.0.1.0 until this folder / nested / legacy view is solved.

If you want to have a resemblance of the folder view using collections it is a time consuming creation of collections structure as well as possible file and directory restructuring. Not what I was prepared to spend my time on.

Edited by One2Go

shavid0610

HI all

Thanks for all your advice.  I used the emby Web Client to create collections and when I went back into EMC all my collections were nested happily together.

I will probably go through all my collections in my file structure at some point and flatten them out as I found it harder to locate the files I wanted to play with the meta data in the meta data manager while they were filed in this manner.  Not a huge priority though as the system is now back to looking like I want it to.

On a side note - How can I get the EHS to show an image for Movies by Genre?  As this is not a menu item under My Media I can't choose an artwork for it.  I have chosen art work for all the actual genres which works beautifully but can't see any way to show an image for the menu item "Movies by Genre" in the EHS.

Thanks again for your help

HI all

Thanks for all your advice.  I used the emby Web Client to create collections and when I went back into EMC all my collections were nested happily together.

I will probably go through all my collections in my file structure at some point and flatten them out as I found it harder to locate the files I wanted to play with the meta data in the meta data manager while they were filed in this manner.  Not a huge priority though as the system is now back to looking like I want it to.

On a side note - How can I get the EHS to show an image for Movies by Genre?  As this is not a menu item under My Media I can't choose an artwork for it.  I have chosen art work for all the actual genres which works beautifully but can't see any way to show an image for the menu item "Movies by Genre" in the EHS.

Thanks again for your help

There's currently no way to assign that image but i would have thought that the app would randomly pick something to put there. @@ebr can elaborate on if this is true or not. It might not be given the age of the app at this point. Thanks.

EMC would be looking for an image in the old "imagesByName" folder.  You would need to name this image "Movies by Genre.png" (or .jpg).

One2Go

EMC would be looking for an image in the old "imagesByName" folder.  You would need to name this image "Movies by Genre.png" (or .jpg).

I have tried also to get an image to show for Movies by Genre but to no avail. When you create a library you get to choose, primary, logo and backdrop which all display just fine in EMC. I can assign images to any of the individual genre but on the EHS I have yet to discover how to do that, the same for Weather Forecast.

What is the path to where the ImagesByName folder needs to be created and the image needs to be placed? In the MB 2.6 it is under C:\Program Data\MediaBrowser\ImagesByName and then the associated subfolders. This does not work under the Emby-Server folder regardless of what you name the images.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Also any chance to register with Yahoo so that we get the Weather app working again. Throgmorton suggested to sweet talk to you to get the Weather App working again :D

shavid0610

I though this folder no longer existed with the new versions.  Is there are way to create it and if so where do you put it so the EHS will look in the right spot for it.

Thank You

Teddy

@@Teddy do you have an example of this?

I never use the Movies by Genre folder, but if I activate it, WMC shows the folders of the first 4 movies of that genre. Although the folder exists in C: \ Users \ MediaCenter \ AppData \ Roaming \ Emby-Server \ metadata.

I do not know if with this I can help.

Image.bmp

Metadata folder.bmp