Legacy folder view broken

StingerMeGood

StingerMeGood

Hello,

Hoping someone could assist.

Since upgrading Server to Version 4.0.0.2, I have had issues with my WMC Client Version 3.0.307.0

I am no longer able to view my media with Legacy folder view enabled.

I still use Legacy folder view, as most of my media is sorted into manual collections, and this wont be changing.

Please refer screenshots below, for what is happening:

Below is the view with Legacy disabled. All of my manual movie collections are not working. But everything else is in order.

5c3fc7c15f772_HOWITSHOULDLOOK.jpg

But....this is the movie view I get with Legacy View enabled (3 "empty" folders, which are reference to the 3x network locations I have my movies stored)

5c3fc88e761c2_PROBLEM3.jpg

When I go into one, this is the view I get. All CoverArt is missing, but everything else "seems" in order. I'll show what happens when i enter a movie, below.

5c3fc8c25ae5e_PROBLEM4.jpg

Below, this is my Kids Movies library. Notice there is no CoverArt (as above) where there certainly should be. 

5c3fc98e93079_PROBLEM1.jpg

When I select a movie, which would normally go to the details page, this is what I get.

5c3fc9c486d93_PROBLEM2.jpg

I then have to select it AGAIN to get to the details page.

I don't want to change my view to not use Legacy View, as I place theme music in the manual collection folder, and it plays (used to).

Also, I have been sorting my media out this way since the early days of MediaBrowser, and it would be too much for me to change it all over.

Also, TV Shows seem to be working without any issues.

I hope this can be resolved, otherwise I will need to roll back to a previous version of the server that works.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

embyserver.txt

MBClassic-1712019ae8483925843455b8c8e9af44f81aa96.log

StingerMeGood

Hi ebr,

Appreciate the quick response.

I updated to the Beta, and also did a library refresh, but the same issue remains.

jachin99

I was u der the impression you could maintain folder structures like this by creating mixed content libraries, naming them appropriately and pointing each new library to a given folder.

I was u der the impression you could maintain folder structures like this by creating mixed content libraries, naming them appropriately and pointing each new library to a given folder.

Mostly, yes, but mixed content is not a perfect representation of folder contents.

Mixed content has the old practice of a single movie in a folder "owning the whole folder". This avoids the extra click layer of having to click into the folder and then the movie. However, this situation is also much more difficult to detect, and it can lead to scenarios where a movie ends up owning a folder when it should not. Then you have other videos in that same movie folder and no way to reach them.

4.0 fixes this for all other content types, however I left it out of mixed content because I know it will draw complaints about having that extra click layer. Sooner or later though we will have to fix it.

joshhuggins

Another vote here for fixing up mixed content sooner than later please. :unsure: We only use mixed content for all videos based library's because we like the cleaner interface. Things are all fluffed up now. I can't even figure out how folders with seemingly identical file structures are displaying differently.  Going to have to watch via File Explorer until fixed. :(       Edit: Figured out how to rollback to 3.5.3 for now. Whew.

Edited by joshhuggins

Another vote here for fixing up mixed content sooner than later please. :unsure: We only use mixed content for all videos based library's because we like the cleaner interface. Things are all fluffed up now. I can't even figure out how folders with seemingly identical file structures are displaying differently.  Going to have to watch via File Explorer until fixed. :(       Edit: Figured out how to rollback to 3.5.3 for now. Whew.

Keep in mind the databases are different between the two versions, so when you do eventually upgrade back to 4.0, any activity between now and then will essentially be lost, as your upgrade has already happened.

joshhuggins

Keep in mind the databases are different between the two versions, so when you do eventually upgrade back to 4.0, any activity between now and then will essentially be lost, as your upgrade has already happened.

Thanks Luke, will do. I don't do anything fancy & I backup all my metadata and images so I am good. When I roll up to v4.x I'll just do a fresh install.

wakachiwaka

Mixed content has the old practice of a single movie in a folder "owning the whole folder". This avoids the extra click layer of having to click into the folder and then the movie. However, this situation is also much more difficult to detect, and it can lead to scenarios where a movie ends up owning a folder when it should not. Then you have other videos in that same movie folder and no way to reach them.

4.0 fixes this for all other content types, however I left it out of mixed content because I know it will draw complaints about having that extra click layer. Sooner or later though we will have to fix it.

I guess v4.0.1.0 "fixed" this issue for all folders - meaning now, every folder, of every type of content, which contains a single movie will now require that extra layer. Count me among the users who strongly dislike this "solution." Every one of my movie files are in their own individual folders. Having that extra layer is a hassle, not merely because of the redundant click-through, but also because the metadata for each file - including the sort and display title data, which in my browsing usage is extremely important to me - does not transfer upward to the individual folder level. If I want my browsing experience to be even a little bit similar to the way it was before the latest updates, I will have to manually input all metadata at the folder level for every. frickin'. movie folder, which numbers in the thousands! No thank you. As far as I'm concerned, after years of satisfaction, this is as broken as it can get. Too bad.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

• Like 1

shavid0610

Hi

I am having the same issue and have read the many posts to try and rectify the issue.

I am running Server Version 4.0.1.0 and after my readings I updated WMC to the latest Beta but it is showing Version 3.0.307.0 so i'm not sure if it worked.  I also use the default theme.

I was running Legacy Browsing as it displayed things the way I liked it.  My folder structure is very very simple and probably outdated.  I use Media Center Master to sort, file and name my media based on meta data from The Movie Database.

Top Level Folder - "Movies"

Second Level Folder - Movie Folder Named ie "Shawshank Redemtion, The"

within that folder there is the move file itself, backdops, folder art, .nfo file, movie.xml file and a sub folder with the movie trailer.

If I have a movie collection it differs slightly

Top Level Folder - "Movies"

Second Level Folder - Collection Name - ie "X-Men Collection"

Third Level Folders - Each individual movie  folder - ie "X-Men"  "Wolverine"  "Logan" 1 x backdrop, 1 x folder art plus a blank collection.xml file

within each of those folders is the move file itself, backdops, folder art, .nfo file, movie.xml file and a sub folder with the movie trailer.

Since the new server update everything went haywire with each movie folder in WMC requiring a second click to get into  and the movie synopsis no longer displayed on each movie until I clicked into each one.  I also lost my view options, which was set to thumb strip and suddenly everything was Coverflow.

I have now turned off Legacy Browsing which restored the single movies to their normal selves with synopsis available in the first screen but now my collections are no longer showing as collections.

Previously X-Men Collection would be in the first thumb strip view then I would click in and see all the x-men movies in date of release order with their synopsis.

Now they are all lined up in a row in the first level view.

I tried the "Collapse Movies Into Collections" option in the View Options of WMC settings but that did not work and I could find nothing helpful on the Configure Server area either.

From reading it seems this might be a bug but trying to install the Beta WMC either didn't work or it didn't fix the problem.  Is this a wait for a fix issue or is there something I should be doing differently to get back to the way I was.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Below is screenshot showing my view when I choose movies - X-Men all loose and wandering around willy nilly...

Also, while I'm here is there any way to remove "Playlist" from the menu option?

5c4e9ca290307_Capture.jpg

Also, while I'm here is there any way to remove "Playlist" from the menu option?

Yes, your home screen preferences in the web app. Thanks.

I am having the same issue and have read the many posts to try and rectify the issue.

I am running Server Version 4.0.1.0 and after my readings I updated WMC to the latest Beta but it is showing Version 3.0.307.0 so i'm not sure if it worked.  I also use the default theme.

I was running Legacy Browsing as it displayed things the way I liked it.  My folder structure is very very simple and probably outdated.  I use Media Center Master to sort, file and name my media based on meta data from The Movie Database.

I guess v4.0.1.0 "fixed" this issue for all folders - meaning now, every folder, of every type of content, which contains a single movie will now require that extra layer. Count me among the users who strongly dislike this "solution." Every one of my movie files are in their own individual folders. Having that extra layer is a hassle, not merely because of the redundant click-through, but also because the metadata for each file - including the sort and display title data, which in my browsing usage is extremely important to me - does not transfer upward to the individual folder level. If I want my browsing experience to be even a little bit similar to the way it was before the latest updates, I will have to manually input all metadata at the folder level for every. frickin'. movie folder, which numbers in the thousands! No thank you. As far as I'm concerned, after years of satisfaction, this is as broken as it can get. Too bad.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

My setup is identical to the ones you both use, naming of movies as well as structure. I finally solved this a few days ago and I am not sure if this is the best, but I did not want to hassle with a roll back so this is what I did and it only took a very short time.

1. Updated to server 4.01.0 and the latest EMC beta 3.317 this solves most problems but in the EMC beta there is no longer a tick box for Legacy browsing.

2. I deleted all the libraries that were Content = Movies

3. Recreated the libraries with Content = Mixed and you no longer have the extra click and the collections under the top folder are either first in the Web client or are in alphabetic order in the EMC with Throg's themes.

I really don't know if that is a solution for the future, but since the devs are busy fixing other more pressing issues and since the conversion of the libraries was quick and uncomplicated I decided for this solution for the moment as I could not handle the broken legacy view for the movies. It worked fine for the TV Shows.

I updated WMC to the latest Beta but it is showing Version 3.0.307.0 so i'm not sure if it worked.

If that's the version you see, no it did not work.  It should be .317.  Try to update to that.

Thanks.

shavid0610

If that's the version you see, no it did not work.  It should be .317.  Try to update to that.

Thanks.

I have now correctly installed the 317 beta EMC and my collections are still not nested or collapsed into collections,  I have tried it with and without the "Collapse Movies Into Collections" box ticked but it made no difference.

I don't want to change the Movie folder to a mixed collection folder if the intention in to change it to the same formatting at some point.

You can only make that decision to change the content type or not. However for +1000 movies it took just about 10 minutes. If there is an advantage to change back to type Movies it will take again just a few minutes. In the meantime the setup and display works the way it always has. Again your choice, your time, your preference.

wakachiwaka

I am also running v4.0.1.0 and the EMC beta. I deleted one of my smaller movie libraries and recreated it as a mixed content library. The extra folder layers remain. No joy.  :(

My setup is identical to the ones you both use, naming of movies as well as structure. I finally solved this a few days ago and I am not sure if this is the best, but I did not want to hassle with a roll back so this is what I did and it only took a very short time.

1. Updated to server 4.01.0 and the latest EMC beta 3.317 this solves most problems but in the EMC beta there is no longer a tick box for Legacy browsing.

2. I deleted all the libraries that were Content = Movies

3. Recreated the libraries with Content = Mixed and you no longer have the extra click and the collections under the top folder are either first in the Web client or are in alphabetic order in the EMC with Throg's themes.

I really don't know if that is a solution for the future, but since the devs are busy fixing other more pressing issues and since the conversion of the libraries was quick and uncomplicated I decided for this solution for the moment as I could not handle the broken legacy view for the movies. It worked fine for the TV Shows.

No idea what to say. First I did a trial with a library of 10 movies and it was successful. Next I tried My Animation 120 movies then the dodgy library with close to 300 movies and then PG library with close to 600 movies without a hitch.

How does it look like in the Web Client do your folders show up first? Does the sort selection show Sort by Folders?

In my selection I do have in the Top folder a file named folder.xml this file has just contains the minimal part so that it displays a description in the Top folder view.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?> 
  <Title>
  <LocalTitle>Jean Paul Belmondo Collection</LocalTitle> 
  <OriginalTitle>Jean Paul Belmondo Collection</OriginalTitle> 
  <SortTitle>Belmondo Collection</SortTitle> 
  <IMDBrating>8.0</IMDBrating> 
  <ProductionYear>1960 – 1981</ProductionYear> 
  <Persons></Persons> 
  <Genres></Genres> 
  <Description> He made his screen debut in 1957. However, the breakthrough role in Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless (1960) made him one of the key figures in the French New Wave. Since mid-60s he completely switched to commercial mainstream pictures and became a big comedy and action star in France. Following the example of Alain Delon he founded his own production company Cerito named after his grandmother's maiden name. He still appears in the movies but not so often as before preferring mostly dramatic roles. The president of France distinguished him with order of Legion of Honour. 

● À Bout de Souffle (Breathless)
● Flic ou Voyou (Cop or Hood)
● The Professional</Description> 
  <IMDB></IMDB> 
  <Budget></Budget> 
  <Revenue></Revenue> 
  <LocalTrailer>
  <URL></URL> 
  <Type>1</Type> 
  </LocalTrailer>
  </Title>

Then below this top folder with all its images I have 3 folders with the corresponding movies plus images and metadata and they display correctly.

Finally check your settings in the EMC configuration and uncheck the part that says collapse into subfolders. Also what theme are you running? I am using the Throgsoft themes.

wakachiwaka

How does it look like in the Web Client do your folders show up first? Does the sort selection show Sort by Folders?

You know, after my latest experiments, I've only been looking at the web client, as I assumed EMC would behave in much the same way. I should have checked. It turns out that while the web client shows all those extra folder levels, EMC does not. I also discovered a new toggle in EMC's configs labeled "Auto Enter Single Item Folders," which does away with the extra click-through even in non-mixed content folders, so that makes me a bit happier (although it would be nice if the web client had the same option).

Now, however, I'm seeing a new issue with the way EMC displays my content: See, I have my media divided up into categories (movies, cartoons, music docus, standup comedy, etc.), with multiple subfolders within each category, and in most cases, the subfolders go many layers deep. Now, EMC displays the top level libraries as always, but within each library, it simply shows all movies at once, without respect to the folder hierarchy (except, in the one library I recreated as mixed-content, the movies are sorted in alphabetical folder order - i.e., all the movies in the Disney folder, followed by all the movies in the Looney Tunes folder, et cetera. The libraries with content specified as movies seem to apply some random logic to sorting, even though they are set to sort by name.). The web client, however, displays all folders in their proper hierarchy. I do use the folder.xml at the top level of folders which have multiple movie subfolders, and so those folders appear in their proper sorting order where a sorting preference is specified in the xml data. Single-movie folders, though, do not have a folder.xml file, and if I try to add one, the web client does not honor the data therein.

Also, another new problem: I'm using the Neo theme, and in most folders I have the view set to Mercury: Poster. Now in this view all my movie poster art is stretched horizontally, so that each poster is too wide.

So, one problem tentatively solved, at least where EMC proper is concerned, and a couple more newly discovered.