All mylocal Metadata is gone since the v4 update

Grabbenswe

I’ve lost my metadata as well. Hours of work.

So if I choose the nfo-option loosing all my work can’t happen again?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hi,

Thank you for being sorry.

Yet again, why is it even an option to save the metadata this way if it is wiped out by an update?

Then it should be nfo or xml only cause no one wants their endless hours of work gone (as seen from the above comments).

I seriously dont know how to find the strength to start over  :(

Hi.  It isn't typically wiped out by an update.  You encountered a special situation related to your specific setup and configuration and the fact that this was a huge update.

Most people did not encounter this.  We apologize that you did.

I’ve lost my metadata as well. Hours of work.

So if I choose the nfo-option loosing all my work can’t happen again?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Correct as it will be saved in files alongside your media.  Of course, that assumes you don't delete those files :).

Correct as it will be saved in files alongside your media.  Of course, that assumes you don't delete those files :).

Hi ebr

It maybe a good Idea to qualify your statement as Music, artists specifically is treated differently.  You need to backup your metadata\artists folder and ….?

The wiki article is pretty good dated 7/2018 don't know if it needs any updating

So was there an actual answer on what to do now?  Refreshing metadata does nothing for me.

What specific settings do I have to enable to get local metadata working?

So was there an actual answer on what to do now?  Refreshing metadata does nothing for me.

What specific settings do I have to enable to get local metadata working?

Hi there, I apologize for your issue. Can you give an example of what is missing after refreshing metadata? Thanks !

After upgrade to v4 all my tags are gone (manually set).... Is that a desired behavior?

(FYI: After upgrade emby did a library scan. I do not lock only content/metadata or save any info/xml files next to my movies... I just let handle emby server everything. But in the past, even if I refresh metadata my tags are not gone... is that because of v4 upgrade? Can I import the tags from an sqlite backup v3.5?) 

Edited by gismo33

After upgrade to v4 all my tags are gone (manually set).... Is that a desired behavior?

(FYI: After upgrade emby did a library scan. I do not lock only content/metadata or save any info/xml files next to my movies... I just let handle emby server everything. But in the past, even if I refresh metadata my tags are not gone... is that because of v4 upgrade? Can I import the tags from an sqlite backup v3.5?) 

You should hopefully be able to migrate your tags from an older DB if you know SQL.

If not I may be able to assist you.

You should hopefully be able to migrate your tags from an older DB if you know SQL.

If not I may be able to assist you.

Thanks, i extract the library.db from an backup. I can open it with sqlite3 but I don't know in which table the tags are stored (probably I have to join some tables to get the real movie titles ?!). 

Edited by gismo33

Look around and you should be able to find it.  Obviously query for a movie you know you had a tag set to make finding/exploring easier.

Then you'll want to set a tag or two in the new version of the DB and again find where it is being stored now.  Do this on a copy of the production DB.

Once you find both instances you've got the hard work done.

It seems to me, in dealing with my own problems due to the upgrade, that 1.) it changed my Metadata options to what I presume is the default (NFO, in folder), then 2.) ran the subsequent library scan as if all Libraries were being added rather than already existing (no Metadata present). I don't know that that IS what happened, but it's what makes sense to me, as on all my homemade videos and music videos I used a .xml template that I filled out before adding to the appropriate Library and those were all ignored by the Library Scan.

4.0.1 has been released to address the mixed content library issues as well as some issues with Movie libraries. Please let me know if you are still having issues. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
moviefan

How do you manually back up collections before updating to 4.0.0.2?  Glad I'm running as a service, no automatic updates.  So metadata in the media folders is safe, I just need to back up collections manually?  I think I'll run a disk image as well!

I've given up on collections, sadly.  I have all of my metadata in the folders but Emby doesn't read any of it anymore.  I can't even get the stupid new collections method to work.  Apparently Emby has decided if you use the old collections method in your filesystem (where local metadata is king) that you don't deserve to have collections working. The whole thing is screwed.  It's still the worst thing that Emby has ever done IMO.

I apologize for the inconvenience. There were just not enough users using the old way anymore, and given the complications it creates, we felt it did not make sense to continue with it.

moviefan

The whole point of my message in this thread here, though, is that your message is inconsistent.  In this very thread you are explaining to people why they should use local metadata because in the event the server gets messed up everything is lost.

But for some reason, you seem to think that for collections this is an acceptable loss.  I had hundreds of collections before your upgrade destroyed my entire system overnight.  If I had to rebuild these - and then Emby runs into problems - I will have to do them AGAIN.  Nobody has the time for that.

If I restructure my media folders at ANY time the entire thing is lost because, instead of the metadata being WITH the media, it is randomly placed in a folder that then calls out absolute file paths.  It is a terrible regression in the system and has been since day one.  You repeatedly state that everyone is using the new system.  Yet, every single thread that is ever raised to discuss this it is five to one people supporting legacy collections versus those that think the new system is better.

That's kind of what all of this development has turned into.  Even in cases where dozens of people are calling out issues with system architecture they are pretty much roundly ignored by the developers here.  So most people, like me, have just stopped complaining.  It falls on deaf ears.  I have yet to see a single recommendation about design or architecture taken to heart.  You WILL fix bugs in the program, which I do appreciate.  Outside of that, it is all completely driven by, I would guess, less than five people.  With zero desire to hear input from your paying and active board members.  I use to donate money to Emby every single year because I appreciated what you do.  I can't justify it anymore.  I strongly wish I had permanently disabled updates to this program prior to your breaking collections.  Nothing that has changed in the past two years was worth losing this functionality.

The worst part of all, is that I can't even use this newly degraded collections system working unless I destroy all of my local metadata which I have spent hours upon hours creating and editing.  If you're going to ignore ALL of the local collection metadata I have built for use in Emby then why can't you just completely ignore it and let the newly degraded collections method work?  Why do I need to delete this to make it work?

The whole thing is extremely infuriating.

Take my advice:

1. Backup the entire partition (Macrium Reflect)(depending on the size of your collection)

2. Copy the old emby install to a external drive, bluray, etc and put it in a safe place. 

3. Download the new version, rename the old folder, install the new version and test it first. Scan a few libraries, etc.

Anything goes wrong, rollback to the old version.

Happy2Play

The whole point of my message in this thread here, though, is that your message is inconsistent.  In this very thread you are explaining to people why they should use local metadata because in the event the server gets messed up everything is lost.

But for some reason, you seem to think that for collections this is an acceptable loss.  I had hundreds of collections before your upgrade destroyed my entire system overnight.  If I had to rebuild these - and then Emby runs into problems - I will have to do them AGAIN.  Nobody has the time for that.

If I restructure my media folders at ANY time the entire thing is lost because, instead of the metadata being WITH the media, it is randomly placed in a folder that then calls out absolute file paths.  It is a terrible regression in the system and has been since day one.  You repeatedly state that everyone is using the new system.  Yet, every single thread that is ever raised to discuss this it is five to one people supporting legacy collections versus those that think the new system is better.

That's kind of what all of this development has turned into.  Even in cases where dozens of people are calling out issues with system architecture they are pretty much roundly ignored by the developers here.  So most people, like me, have just stopped complaining.  It falls on deaf ears.  I have yet to see a single recommendation about design or architecture taken to heart.  You WILL fix bugs in the program, which I do appreciate.  Outside of that, it is all completely driven by, I would guess, less than five people.  With zero desire to hear input from your paying and active board members.  I use to donate money to Emby every single year because I appreciated what you do.  I can't justify it anymore.  I strongly wish I had permanently disabled updates to this program prior to your breaking collections.  Nothing that has changed in the past two years was worth losing this functionality.

The worst part of all, is that I can't even use this newly degraded collections system working unless I destroy all of my local metadata which I have spent hours upon hours creating and editing.  If you're going to ignore ALL of the local collection metadata I have built for use in Emby then why can't you just completely ignore it and let the newly degraded collections method work?  Why do I need to delete this to make it work?

The whole thing is extremely infuriating.

You don't need to restructure or delete any existing collection.xmls or images in legacy collection folder.  Emby just ignores them.  I still have all my Media Center Master made collections in my library without issue.

lifespeed

Is there some sort of guide or FAQ how to accomplish the server update without hosing one's current metadata and collections?  I see references to "old" and "new" collections, which may have meaning to those intimately familiar with the workings of Emby, but I have no idea what that means; 3.5.x vs. 4.0.x, or older(?) vs. 4.0.x?.  A brief write-up really would be appropriate, a write-up that makes no assumptions the reader knows the folder location of "old" collections, etc.  I'm holding off on the server update until I can figure it what or if I will lose.  I was using the collections feature from server 3.5.x from the user interface, but I don't know where it squirrels away the associated files.  I know my metadata is stored in the associated movie folder in NFO format.  But despite reading this thread I still can't figure out what, if anything, is going to blow up when I upgrade.

@@lifespeed check out https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/AutoBoxSets which is the AutoBoxSets plugin that can create collections based on movies series for you automatically.  Doesn't get easier then using that.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections covers working with collections in the Web UI.  This is useful for creating the kinds of collections the AutoBoxSets plugin won't handle.  For example a collection of all Oscar winning movies.

The wiki has information on working with collections offline as well using notepad or other text editor and how to migrate collections when you move their physical location. https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections-%E2%80%93-Manual-Migration

After looking at those is there any questions you still don't understand and need clarification or additional info needed in the wiki itself?

• Like 1

lifespeed

@@lifespeed check out https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/AutoBoxSets which is the AutoBoxSets plugin that can create collections based on movies series for you automatically.  Doesn't get easier then using that.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections covers working with collections in the Web UI.  This is useful for creating the kinds of collections the AutoBoxSets plugin won't handle.  For example a collection of all Oscar winning movies.

The wiki has information on working with collections offline as well using notepad or other text editor and how to migrate collections when you move their physical location. https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections-%E2%80%93-Manual-Migration

After looking at those is there any questions you still don't understand and need clarification or additional info needed in the wiki itself?

Thanks for the link to where the collections data resides, and the tip on Auto Box Sets plugin, which looks very nice.

• Like 1

osak00006

If this really is the recommendation, than I think it becomes critical that we figure out a way to disable the meta data formatting issues that prevent your NFO files from being read and imported properly by Kodi. 

Your NFO files result in imageless libraries in Kodi. As a result, the only way to do what you're really advocating for here is to manually scrape content in Kodi, manually export it, make the customizations, and then scan it with Emby. SOOOO much more work than just fixing the NFO export problem in Emby that prevents Kodi from scanning it in correctly with imagery

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51321-export-nfo-files-for-kodi-w-full-paths-to-image-files/&do=findComment&comment=572190

) :

Edited by osak00006

pünktchen

If this really is the recommendation, than I think it becomes critical that you guys figure out a way to turn off the meta data formatting issues that prevent your NFO files from being read and imported properly by Kodi.

Your NFO files result in imageless libraries in Kodi. As a result, the only way to do what you're really advocating for here is to manually scrape content in Kodi, manually export it, make the customizations, and then scan it with Emby. SOOOO much more work than just fixing the NFO export problem in Emby that prevents Kodi from scanning it in correctly with imagery

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51321-export-nfo-files-for-kodi-w-full-paths-to-image-files/&do=findComment&comment=572190

) :

Where is the problem? Just don't use the option to save image paths within nfo files!

osak00006

Where is the problem? Just don't use the option to save image paths within nfo files!

For whatever reason, Kodi fails to load any artwork exported by Emby

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

osak00006

Here's a full description of the issue, from my Kodi thread

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=340262&pid=2817363#pid2817363

Hi All,

I use Emby for my database backend + Emby for Kodi for my LibreELEC boxes, which works perfectly. 

When I travel, I use a different Kodi profile which relies on local NFO files and images for artwork. And while the Emby-generated NFO files seem to be formatted properly and import as expected, Kodi fails to scrape the local artwork files, no matter what I try. If I delete the Emby-generated image, replace it with a different sourced image, remove the content from Kodi database, and then rescan, everything works as expected.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. 

Any help would be massively appreciated!!

Sample Folder Structure: 
e7axk9.png

LOGS:
https://paste.kodi.tv/tedademisa.kodi

Scanned Content in Kodi:
206k392.png

Emby Generated NFO & Images:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/712jmqnfo0zb7...DzYPa?dl=0

pünktchen

For whatever reason, Kodi fails to load any artwork exported by Emby

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just set "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" for your Kodi libraries.