Questions regarding new live TV/DVR functionality

douglashughey

douglashughey

Hello,

Now that Emby has officially released Live TV/DVR functionality, I have a couple of questions.  I've been using media center computers for live TV and recording since the original XP MCE, and I currently have a dedicated W7MC for recording shows.  I use a newly purchased Shield TV for myself and Fire TVs on each TV in the house for consistency for my family, so the computer is basically just used for recording.  I've been wanting to replace that with a more modern Live TV/DVR implementation, and I'm hoping that the new Emby is it.  If it is, I plan to sign up for the lifetime Premiere membership.  So here goes:

1. I currently use MCEBuddy to re-encode, stripping commercials.  It's a fully automated process that just works.  I don't see anything about that functionality in Emby's Live TV/DVR implementation.  Does that processing currently exist?  If not, is it planned for the near future?

2.  It makes sense for the Live TV/DVR functionality to be behind the paywall of a Premiere membership, but this is the sort of thing that I imagine most individuals would very much want to test out for themselves before committing to a paid membership.  Is there any way to either offer say a 14 day free trial, or the $5 of a monthly membership off of an upgrade from monthly to annual or lifetime membership?  This would give individuals the opportunity to test everything and make sure it meets their needs before committing to the cost of a Premiere membership.  I realize that an extra $5 for a single month on top of the $54 or $119 for annual or lifetime membership may not seem that substantial, but it's a bit of a sticking point- I don't want to pay for something twice.  Make sense?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

BAlGaInTl

1. I don't have experience myself, but Emby does have post processing that can tie into MCEBuddy. In theory, you should be able to get what you've built already to work. I'm not sure of the details though.

2. I don't think there is a free trial. My understanding is that there are some significant technical hurdles to make that happen. I have seen the devs offer that if you buy 1 month and decide it isn't for you in the first 7 days, they will refund the purchase. But don't quote me on that because I don't know if it's an official policy, or if they just do it on a case by case basis.

1. I currently use MCEBuddy to re-encode, stripping commercials.  It's a fully automated process that just works.  I don't see anything about that functionality in Emby's Live TV/DVR implementation.  Does that processing currently exist?  If not, is it planned for the near future?

This is planned for the future.

2.  It makes sense for the Live TV/DVR functionality to be behind the paywall of a Premiere membership, but this is the sort of thing that I imagine most individuals would very much want to test out for themselves before committing to a paid membership.  Is there any way to either offer say a 14 day free trial, or the $5 of a monthly membership off of an upgrade from monthly to annual or lifetime membership?

Yes you're absolutely right. We need to improve our trial facilities in order to allow you to do this. Thanks.

douglashughey

Thank you BAIGaInTI and Luke both for your responses!

I'm glad to see that commercial stripping is planned for the future.  That's one of those things that once you're used to it, it's tough to go without!

And Luke, if I can help with testing for a free trial, just let me know.  I'm very anxious to find out if this solution will work for me as a replacement for W7MC. 

Thanks again,

Doug