• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Dickbryant OFFLINE  

Dickbryant

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 11:48 AM

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

Speechless, anyone help. I’ve connected my new Roku 4661R to my receiver and am using the Emby beta client but I still only get DTS audio from my mkv files that identify as having lossless DTS Master HD soundtracks. I’m running the Emby server on Edge and it is direct playing to the Roku..
Do I have to have Emby Premiere or something? Is there a server setting I’m missing? Any ideas?

#22 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 43699 posts
  • Local time: 12:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:35 PM

Speechless, anyone help. I’ve connected my new Roku 4661R to my receiver and am using the Emby beta client but I still only get DTS audio from my mkv files that identify as having lossless DTS Master HD soundtracks. I’m running the Emby server on Edge and it is direct playing to the Roku..
Do I have to have Emby Premiere or something? Is there a server setting I’m missing? Any ideas?

Hi.  The Roku - to my knowledge - does not support DTS-HD MA on any of their devices.

#23 speechles ONLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3954 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 AM

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:23 PM

DTS-HD MA should be supported on the Roku Ultra model #4660/#4661. This was confirmed by @RokuDale on Roku forums. He stated that DTS-HD MA will bitstream in 8 channels as pass-through audio. There is nothing special done in the app to allow this. We see if the Roku says it supports 8 channel DTS and if it does we allow it. Same as every other codec on the device. There are no special treatments to any codecs. We read everything strictly from your device. My Roku Ultra #4661 does support 8 channel DTS. I just have no equipment that supports DTS to verify.

We do not force premier to use the Roku app or for playback (it's free :)), except for the LiveTV because that actually costs Emby money to maintain on a very regular basis.

The capabilities reads all from your device. Make sure you are NOT using AUTO for HDMI (settings >> audio >> hdmi) use anything else. Probably you want "Dolby D+, DTS" selected for HDMI. Then test a DTS-HD MA soundtrack. Enable stats for nerds in the video player OSD. Open the OSD and find the gear/cog and click it. Then in this playback menu enable stats for nerds. Now you should be able to see on the Roku what is happening when you play the DTS-HD MA soundtrack. Is it transcoding? I do not have equipment to verify if this works or not. I just know in the app the detection/capabilities we have will allow it to pass-through. This should work. Please let us know if it does not. Thanks. :)

@ebr you silly. I know you are busy with so much that your focus isn't just on Roku so of course you forgot this post of mine in this thread. We both raced out to buy new Rokus to test this. I just couldn't test it(only write detection code for it) but I do know it passes through and can see it pass-through as 8 channel DTS-HD MA on stats for nerds. Whether the sink device can decode whatever the Roku is sending it and how what the Roku is sending it is decoded by that sink device is clearly a Roku firmware issue. We are doing the right thing and passing through DTS-HD MA if supported and right now only Roku 4660/4661 models are confirmed by Roku to have this support. Our code can already support any device that is detected with 8 channel DTS support and pass-through to it. We future proofed that already. The future looks bright for Emby. Very bright. Need sunglasses so bright. 

Edited by speechles, 04 April 2019 - 04:52 PM.

#24 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 43699 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

@ebr you silly. I know you are busy with so much that your focus isn't just on Roku so of course you forgot this post of mine in this thread. We both raced out to buy new Rokus to test this. I just couldn't test it(only write detection code for it) but I do know it passes through and can see it pass-through as 8 channel DTS-HD MA on stats for nerds. Whether the sink device can decode whatever the Roku is sending it and how what the Roku is sending it is decoded by that sink device is clearly a Roku firmware issue. We are doing the right thing and passing through DTS-HD MA if supported and right now only Roku 4660/4661 models are confirmed by Roku to have this support. Our code can already support any device that is detected with 8 channel DTS support and pass-through to it. We future proofed that already. The future looks bright for Emby. Very bright. Need sunglasses so bright. 

I was trying to get TrueHD to work and then we confirmed that isn't supported.  I never actually tested DTS-HD but I just tried it and, we are direct playing the item but it is only passing the DTS core.  This is on an Ultra (4660X2).

• speechles likes this

#25 Rodiefs OFFLINE  

Rodiefs

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:43 PM

What about Emby Theater on a Windows 10 PC and HDMI pass through to the receiver.. Just a thought :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lossless audio, dts master hd, Dolby true hd, mkv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users