Emby Guide Data - missing information

IkeTaylor11

IkeTaylor11

I have upgraded to version 4 release and started using the Emby Guide Data which comes from gracenote. I am noticing it is missing information. I am not seeing any repeat tags for programs even though i have that option enabled in the guide. On iOS devices none of the live, HD, repeat, or new tags appear next to programming at all. It seems the program descriptions are not pulling down the fully synopsis, just a short 1 line description. Before switching to emby guide data i pulled all my own guide from zap2it which pulls directly from gracenote as well. I know I am getting the correct guide because all my channels auto mapped using the zap2it channel identifiers even with emby guide data. Is Emby Guide Data still a work in progress or is this how its expected to work? 

IkeTaylor11

I have attached images to show the differences. Its subtle things but makes a big difference. Zap2it uses gracenote as its backend and it has the same provider lists I see when using Emby Guide Data.

I use the zap2it epg tags for my channels which auto map the guide when using Emby guide data.

Channel 34 for example is I34.31262.zap2it.com

With zap2it i see the repeat tag but the HD tag is missing. With emby guide the repeat tag is missing but i see the HD tag. 

Program description screens aren't passing the indicators correctly as you can see the zap2it says repeat but the emby guide has no indicator.

iOS guide doesnt show any indicators at all: HD, Live, New, Repeat - they are all missing

post-386849-0-46609800-1547668756_thumb.png

post-386849-0-25126600-1547668763_thumb.png

post-386849-0-39777500-1547668769_thumb.png

post-386849-0-29875100-1547668774_thumb.png

post-386849-0-26192800-1547668779_thumb.png

IkeTaylor11

What zipcode and lineup is this?

zipcode is 55378. the lineup i use is dish network - minneapolis as well as centurylink prism - minneapolis. channel 34 comes from the centurylink prism lineup in both cases. 

I also didnt mention that channel 106 shows offline using emby guide data but if i pull from zap2it i get the full guide for the channel. channel 106 is pulled from the dish network - Minneapolis lineup. 

how does emby handle 2 epg sources if there are overlapping channels in both? when i use zap2it i do not have any overlap. But, Emby Guide Data doesnt have an option to pick and choose which channels i want from each lineup provider. 

IkeTaylor11

What zipcode and lineup is this?

Is anything being done by Emby to address the missing info being pulled from Gracenote? I would like to not have to purchase another EPG provider since I already have to pay for Emby Premiere.

The HD tag does not work at all on the Guide if i use Schedules Direct or Perc Data as my source. Even though both services include the HDTV tag in their XMLTV file.

Emby Guide Data is completely missing the Repeat tag on all programming.

Emby Guide Data is missing program data for some channels even if the data is good and present from other providers. 

Emby Guide Data doesnt specifiy what channel tvg names to use in a custom m3u file to make the guide and m3u file match automatically. Is there a way to view the Emby Guide Data in a file or the database so I can match all my channel tvg names to what Emby is expecting in the software? With hundreds of channels I do not want to manually match them inside the software. 

I have attached sample output for the same show across 3 different providers. All 3 use Gracenote as their source for guide data so all that should be available for Emby to utilize when it pulls the data in. 

I have also attached what an ideal guide example should be. It includes all the pertinent tags and data needed for a program.

samples.zip

• Like 1

how does emby handle 2 epg sources if there are overlapping channels in both? when i use zap2it i do not have any overlap. But, Emby Guide Data doesnt have an option to pick and choose which channels i want from each lineup provider. 

We'll have more control in the future, but for now it's first channel found in order of the guide providers added.

Spaceboy

Is anything being done by Emby to address the missing info being pulled from Gracenote? I would like to not have to purchase another EPG provider since I already have to pay for Emby Premiere.

The HD tag does not work at all on the Guide if i use Schedules Direct or Perc Data as my source. Even though both services include the HDTV tag in their XMLTV file.

Emby Guide Data is completely missing the Repeat tag on all programming.

Emby Guide Data is missing program data for some channels even if the data is good and present from other providers.

Emby Guide Data doesnt specifiy what channel tvg names to use in a custom m3u file to make the guide and m3u file match automatically. Is there a way to view the Emby Guide Data in a file or the database so I can match all my channel tvg names to what Emby is expecting in the software? With hundreds of channels I do not want to manually match them inside the software.

I have attached sample output for the same show across 3 different providers. All 3 use Gracenote as their source for guide data so all that should be available for Emby to utilize when it pulls the data in.

I have also attached what an ideal guide example should be. It includes all the pertinent tags and data needed for a program.

xteve. Emby is not ready for someone who wants to use it predominantly for live tv. Xteve fixes most of these shortcomings wrt channel management and epg

IkeTaylor11

xteve. Emby is not ready for someone who wants to use it predominantly for live tv. Xteve fixes most of these shortcomings wrt channel management and epgxt

xteve is garbage. Also I don't see why you say Emby is not ready for Live TV. They have an entire section of the software dedicated to Live TV. They have built in support with Gracenote. All I am asking them to do is tweak the data they are pulling in from Gracenote, should be pretty simple to fix. The data already exists on Gracenote, just has to be added when Emby grabs it. 

Emby is predominantly making people charge for the Live TV, requiring Premiere for us the DVR functionality. So if I am paying for a service I expect that service to take input and make changes accordingly. 

I have looked at this. The problem is that I don't see the repeat indicators in the guide data when using the gracenote api browser. That goes for both your zipcode and mine. Their documentation says it should be there, but it's just not there. I will have to send them a note about this. Thanks.

Regarding the repeat indicator, they confirmed it's not in the data anymore and that we should just go ahead and assume that any episode that is not new or live should be treated as a repeat. So we are making this change. Thanks.

Spaceboy

xteve is garbage. Also I don't see why you say Emby is not ready for Live TV. They have an entire section of the software dedicated to Live TV. They have built in support with Gracenote. All I am asking them to do is tweak the data they are pulling in from Gracenote, should be pretty simple to fix. The data already exists on Gracenote, just has to be added when Emby grabs it.

Emby is predominantly making people charge for the Live TV, requiring Premiere for us the DVR functionality. So if I am paying for a service I expect that service to take input and make changes accordingly.

lol. Would you like your dummy back [emoji64]
  • Like 1

CBers

xteve is garbage. 

Admittedly xTeVe isn't the easiest piece of software to pick up, but with help from @@Spaceboy, I was able to add the channels in the the order I wanted to Emby and for Emby to get the relevant EPG data via GraceNote.

Perhaps Emby could speak to xTeVe to see if they could integrate it into the Emby ecosystem, rather than re-inventing the wheel, with their planned channel management due this year.

IkeTaylor11

Regarding the repeat indicator, they confirmed it's not in the data anymore and that we should just go ahead and assume that any episode that is not new or live should be treated as a repeat. So we are making this change. Thanks.

Thank you for verifying this. Can you tell us what Emby uses to match a channel against an m3u file? Is it the just the channel name or is it the tvg-id? I would like to setup my m3u correctly so I dont have to do any manual mappings inside Emby. 

Also, will you be adding the ability to only choose subsets of channels for each guide that we utilize? With my provider I need to use 3 different guides in order to populate all the correct guide data. But, i only require 1 channel from 2 of the guide sources. Its silly to import all that guide data when it isn't used. 

Is it the just the channel name or is it the tvg-id?

Both, starting with tvg-id, but there's really no way for tvg-id to work right now because you'll have no idea what to put there.

Also, will you be adding the ability to only choose subsets of channels for each guide that we utilize? With my provider I need to use 3 different guides in order to populate all the correct guide data. But, i only require 1 channel from 2 of the guide sources. Its silly to import all that guide data when it isn't used. 

We plan to expand our channel management features in a future update to allow you to do this. thanks.

IkeTaylor11

Both, starting with tvg-id, but there's really no way for tvg-id to work right now because you'll have no idea what to put there.

Hmm, thats interesting. Below is a line from my current m3u. When I use Emby Guide data it is auto mapping my channels. So that tells me its only using the channel name at the very end of the line. Neither the tvg-id or tvg-name tags match. Is it possible to give us visibility into the guide data in a file or db somewhere so we can grab the tvg-id's and apply them to our m3u ahead of time? 

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I4.21234.zap2it.com" tvg-name="I4.21234.zap2it.com" tvg-logo="https://zap2it.tmsimg.com/h3/NowShowing/21234/s28711_h3_aa.png"group-title="Local Channels",004 WCCODT

Also, when Emby Guide Data is used does it import channel logos as well as program logos? Or is emby still using the tvg-logo entry in my m3u to get the correct logo on the channel? 

You're going to have a hard time using tvgid because there's no way for you to know the channel IDs from gracenote. In fact without looking at them I don't even recall what they look like. So for all intents and purposes that's going to be difficult to accomplish now. Yes I suppose some kind of visibility is possible for the future.

Yes channel logos from the guide data are supported.

maegibbons

You're going to have a hard time using tvgid because there's no way for you to know the channel IDs from gracenote. In fact without looking at them I don't even recall what they look like. So for all intents and purposes that's going to be difficult to accomplish now. Yes I suppose some kind of visibility is possible for the future.

Yes channel logos from the guide data are supported.

@@Luke

I asked about the ability to list tvg-id's  when you first announced the move to Gracenote.

Can you PLEASE look at doing something to DUMP tvg-id's from Gracenote data for a particular Lineup so we can use them in our m3u's?

This IS quite important.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

maegibbons

As long as "the future" is before SD stops us downloading their data then thats fine.

If not you have screwed us over by introducing GraceNote to early.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

CBers

Perhaps we need a small discussion group created, so that doesn't happen.

The channel mappings and all other planned Live TV enhancements, need to implemented and fully functional before SD support is removed.

• Like 2

The channel mappings and all other planned Live TV enhancements, need to implemented and fully functional before SD support is removed.

I don't understand the relationship between most of those features and SD.

Yes, we'd like to get all of that done as soon as possible but the guide source change doesn't impact most of it. (I understand the impact in this specific topic)

CBers

I don't understand the relationship between most of those features and SD.

People are still using SD, as GN doesn't fit completely (I'm sure @@maegibbons can expand).

Without using XTeVe, I would have to rely on SD as well, otherwise the channels are all over the place for my IPTV source in Emby.

XTeVe does help somewhat, but it's not a total solution, or easy to pick up.

People are still using SD, as GN doesn't fit completely (I'm sure @@maegibbons can expand).

Without using XTeVe, I would have to rely on SD as well, otherwise the channels are all over the place for my IPTV source in Emby.

XTeVe does help somewhat, but it's not a total solution, or easy to pick up.

That's all channel management stuff - not guide data.  I understand this particular issue may be related to guide data but most of the other channel management stuff is not.