Hardware encoding on AMD A10 within a Docker container on Emby 4.0.0.2

bkloppenborg

Loki93

Forgot to mention that I tested with Emby Theater for Windows and browser-playback with firefox 67.0.1 (64-Bit)

• 3 months later...
vaise

I just came across this thread while searching for transcoding options.

As Unraid has a plugin for Nvidia, I was considering replacing my AMD card with an Nvidia card and using the plugin and getting emby GPU transcoding that way.

I dont pass the GPU to any VM's so they are all free for the docker containers (i.e Emby).

So.......  My question -

As Unraid itself does not have any AMD drivers in the host O/S, unlike you people with other linux distro's there, does the posts here mean that one day the Emby container may have working AMD drivers built in and can then do GPU transcoding on AMD ?  i.e with no AMD drivers on the host ? 

If there is a chance of this happening, I will put off the NVidia GPU replacement and save the $300.

I just came across this thread while searching for transcoding options.

As Unraid has a plugin for Nvidia, I was considering replacing my AMD card with an Nvidia card and using the plugin and getting emby GPU transcoding that way.

I dont pass the GPU to any VM's so they are all free for the docker containers (i.e Emby).

So....... My question -

As Unraid itself does not have any AMD drivers in the host O/S, unlike you people with other linux distro's there, does the posts here mean that one day the Emby container may have working AMD drivers built in and can then do GPU transcoding on AMD ? i.e with no AMD drivers on the host ?

If there is a chance of this happening, I will put off the NVidia GPU replacement and save the $300.

+1

vaise

Our hardware acceleration wiki goes over everything that is supported for all possible environments:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Hardware-Acceleration-Overview

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Hi @@Luke, I have read that before.

It does not help right now as I am after assistance in two related questions :

1 - if you had working AMD drivers inside the emby container ONLY (ignore support on this question - just hypothetical) , and not on the host, then can Emby Transcode ?  A docker expert could prob answer that.  Note - I am not asking if it is supported, as I know it is not at this time.  The reason I ask is that I (and many others) use unraid, and hence we don't have driver control over the host O/S like other docker users.

2 - If the answer to 1 is correct, and seeing as @@agates is way more technical than me and has made his own container that works with AMD GPU, then that bodes well for some sort of future Container AMD GPU transcoding native Emby support at sometime in the future, meaning if this was a possibility, then I will wait before spending the $300 and making nvidia work instead by using spaceinvaders excellent youtube on how to do this for Emby using the new Ndidia plugin.  

Hi @@Luke, I have read that before.

It does not help right now as I am after assistance in two related questions :

1 - if you had working AMD drivers inside the emby container ONLY (ignore support on this question - just hypothetical) , and not on the host, then can Emby Transcode ? A docker expert could prob answer that. Note - I am not asking if it is supported, as I know it is not at this time. The reason I ask is that I (and many others) use unraid, and hence we don't have driver control over the host O/S like other docker users.

2 - If the answer to 1 is correct, and seeing as @@agates is way more technical than me and has made his own container that works with AMD GPU, then that bodes well for some sort of future Container AMD GPU transcoding native Emby support at sometime in the future, meaning if this was a possibility, then I will wait before spending the $300 and making nvidia work instead by using spaceinvaders excellent youtube on how to do this for Emby using the new Ndidia plugin.

I believe the host only needs kernel support for the card you use. This support is pretty common in most prebuilt kernels that you'll have.

The actual software drivers etc do not need to be installed on the host and exist entirely within the container image. This is why you pass the /dev/dri directory to the container.

If you had proprietary drivers like nvidia which needs a kernel module compiled on install that would need to be installed on the host OS.

vaise

Not really.  SpaceInvader's plugin option is easy - if I end up buying the NVidia GPU - but the thread question I posed if if I can wait and not have to do that. 

Youtube is thus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhHiFAXwOE

Docker for unraid is different to docker for all the other linux's, as the other linuxes have control of the O/S and Unraid is primarily gui based for people that need little/no linux experience.  I have never done any 'linux like' commands in any terminal environment in unraid.

It is one of the bug bears I find in the Linux / docker section of Emby support as much of it is not relevant to anyone on unraid. 

Edited by vaise

I forgot to mention, while I still build and use my own docker image I don't currently have a system with hardware accelerated transcoding available. It shouldn't make a difference but I can't help people for that.

I highly recommend checking out the community maintained docker images at LinuxServer.io. Their image allegedly has support for accelerated transcoding.

Edited by agates

vaise

I forgot to mention, while I still build and use my own docker image I don't currently have a system with hardware accelerated transcoding available. It shouldn't make a difference but I can't help people for that.

I highly recommend checking out the community maintained docker images at LinuxServer.io. Their image allegedly has support for accelerated transcoding.

Thanks @@agates.  I believe unraid is more for folks that dont have the linux skills - its all GUI driven.  We have a community apps thing for dockers/plugins and you can turn on dockerhub so it searches there also.  But Thats about the max for my skills, I wont be going and trying to download a container from somewhere else and attempting to install it.  The system is not just for Emby, its running a shed load of other things - its primary use is as a NAS, emby is just one container on there of about 12, then I have all my work VM's on there..

Thanks @@agates. I believe unraid is more for folks that dont have the linux skills - its all GUI driven. We have a community apps thing for dockers/plugins and you can turn on dockerhub so it searches there also. But Thats about the max for my skills, I wont be going and trying to download a container from somewhere else and attempting to install it. The system is not just for Emby, its running a shed load of other things - its primary use is as a NAS, emby is just one container on there of about 12, then I have all my work VM's on there..

The linuxserver.io images are hosted on docker hub.

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-emby/

Check out their communities, they will be full of extremely helpful people willing to point you in the right direction. I'm pretty confident what you want would work but yeah I've never used unraid.