Optional integration of played/progress between users

Starlionblue

Starlionblue

I have a user for the kids and a user for the adults. However I don't want either user to have access to admin features such as deletion and so forth. So I have an "admin" user to do all the admin stuff.

Typically, the adult or the kids user will be logged in on the HTPC and mobile devices, while the admin user is logged in on my desktop. The problem is that since MB3 (correctly) separates played/nonplayed status, and progress within a media file, when I'm on my desktop and want to play something in the web client it doesn't remember where I was in a file and so forth.

I could use MBT or MBC but they are very remote control centric and besides for speed of navigation nothing beats the web interface when you're using a mouse and keyboard.

Ideally, there would be an option for one user's played/progress statuses to be slaved to another user's. That way my admin user would simply be fed the statuses from the adult user and conversely anything the admin user does updates the adult user.

Starlionblue

Why not login as both admin and adult in two separate browsers?

While I do feel stupid for not thinking of that myself (and thanks for that idea!), I still feel that it is less elegant than my proposal.

Starlionblue

Why not login as both admin and adult in two separate browsers?

Slight problem. I can't be logged in as two different users in separate browsers. If I log in as a new user in a new tab/window, once the "old user" is refreshed that tab/window switches to the new user.

So basically square one.

AdrianW

Why do you need the admin user logged in all the time? How much admin stuff are you doing? - surely just logging in as admin occasionally would be sufficient, it's only three clicks to switch users anyway.

Also, wouldn't you prefer to use MBC or MBT just for the native playback - I'd never choose to watch transcoded video if there was an easy option to watch it directly.

Starlionblue

Why do you need the admin user logged in all the time? How much admin stuff are you doing? - surely just logging in as admin occasionally would be sufficient, it's only three clicks to switch users anyway.

Also, wouldn't you prefer to use MBC or MBT just for the native playback - I'd never choose to watch transcoded video if there was an easy option to watch it directly.

I prefer to have an admin user logged it at all times. Control freak I guess.  :lol:  Perhaps as things progress with automation such as "auto-organize" I'll feel the need to be less hands-on.

Good point on MBT and MBC. Must adapt!  :blink:

However there is one issue. Both MBC and MBT are very remote centric and I don't have a remote on my desktop.

Edited by Starlionblue

Vidman

Slight problem. I can't be logged in as two different users in separate browsers. If I log in as a new user in a new tab/window, once the "old user" is refreshed that tab/window switches to the new user.

So basically square one.

You can of you use two different browsers is chrome and firefox

Vidman

So basically square one.

You can if you use two different browsers ie chrome and firefox as they store their cookies separately Edited by Vidman

Starlionblue

You can if you use two different browsers ie chrome and firefox as they store their cookies separately

Sure. But that's really not elegant.  :P

Vidman

Why not? :P anyway I believe there is already a feature request that will allow another user to be added to a users viewing session for the case where say you are watching a movie together with your family and they all have separate user accounts so all users watching an item have there watched statuses updated... You could use that feature when available to cater to your individual case

Edited by Vidman

Starlionblue

Why not? :P

It's a workaround and a bit of a kludge IMHO. Right now I need two users for security reasons, one for playback and one for admin. Furthermore, I have to run them in separate browsers.

I thought of an alternative way of addressing this: elevation of permissions for specific actions. For example a "normal" user that can be logged in on an HTPC without advanced rights such as deletion, but the possibility of elevating the user to admin rights for specific actions. This could work like on a Mac where you click the padlock (and have to enter a password) to unlock restricted actions, or like on Windows 7 where you click the shield to "run as administrator." Such users would have one password for "normal" actions like logging into an HTPC, and a second password for things like metadata management, deletion, plugin installation, MBT advanced config etc. And since it would only be one user all played/progress data would be ok.

Also, it would skip the current issue that MBT and MBC don't see hidden users. I want to keep my admin user hidden for neatness and security.

Edited by Starlionblue

swhitmore

You could use the Trakt plugin to sync your played status, however that won't do progress.

Edited by swhitmore

Vidman

It's a workaround and a bit of a kludge IMHO. Right now I need two users for security reasons, one for playback and one for admin. Furthermore, I have to run them in separate browsers.

I thought of an alternative way of addressing this: elevation of permissions for specific actions. For example a "normal" user that can be logged in on an HTPC without advanced rights such as deletion, but the possibility of elevating the user to admin rights for specific actions. This could work like on a Mac where you click the padlock (and have to enter a password) to unlock restricted actions, or like on Windows 7 where you click the shield to "run as administrator." Such users would have one password for "normal" actions like logging into an HTPC, and a second password for things like metadata management, deletion, plugin installation, MBT advanced config etc. And since it would only be one user all played/progress data would be ok.

Also, it would skip the current issue that MBT and MBC don't see hidden users. I want to keep my admin user hidden for neatness and security.

Sounds like what you're asking for is a bit of a kludge to suit your specific use case:p

Starlionblue

Touché! :)

Then again I am not sure I'm alone in my use case, at least the "elevation" bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The capability to have multiple users tracking status already exists in the system (it is implemented in MBC - you can mark other users "Also Here").  We just need to get that same capability into the Web client.  However, that probably isn't a huge priority because having multiple people watching in a browser is not too common.  Your use-case would be more likely.

Also, MBC and MBT will both work very well with a keyboard.  In fact, navigation is much quicker with a keyboard because you don't have the IR delay.

• Like 1