offline sync not working on amazon device

revengineer

manicpanic

I'm wondering if it would be easier to enable the app to move to SD vs fighting the download manager.. I have root on my kindle fire so I've been playing to link2sd to try and work around this. It actually works quite well except that the server login seems to get forgotten once you close and re-open the app. 

I'm wondering if it would be easier to enable the app to move to SD vs fighting the download manager.. I have root on my kindle fire so I've been playing to link2sd to try and work around this. It actually works quite well except that the server login seems to get forgotten once you close and re-open the app. 

You mean move to SD after download? That is the type of workaround that we are looking at when the download manager is denied access to the SD card.

revengineer

The issue I see is that the devs cannot assume users to have rooted devices. Especially Kindle Fires are notoriously difficult to root. I kept looking for a means to root for about 6 months after getting my device and then gave up, mostly because it does what I needed it to do (until this issue popped up).

You mean move to SD after download? That is the type of workaround that we are looking at when the download manager is denied access to the SD card.

I think he is referring to another method that would require root. I still think the download to internal and move to external is not useful. The test with the netflix app shows that there are robust ways to make this work on kindle fires. 

manicpanic

The issue I see is that the devs cannot assume users to have rooted devices. Especially Kindle Fires are notoriously difficult to root. I kept looking for a means to root for about 6 months after getting my device and then gave up, mostly because it does what I needed it to do (until this issue popped up).

I think he is referring to another method that would require root. I still think the download to internal and move to external is not useful. The test with the netflix app shows that there are robust ways to make this work on kindle fires. 

I'm not sure where you got the idea that anyone was going to assume people have root on their devices. Moving apps to sd card has been built into android for the last few releases. 

revengineer

I'm not sure where you got the idea that anyone was going to assume people have root on their devices. Moving apps to sd card has been built into android for the last few releases. 

I got the idea is from your quote: "I have root on my kindle fire so I've been playing to link2sd to try and work around this." If this is irrelevant, it probably should not have been mentioned because it is misleading.

BTW, I did not appreciated the tone in your reply. We are trying to solve a problem in a constructive manner here.

manicpanic

I got the idea is from your quote: "I have root on my kindle fire so I've been playing to link2sd to try and work around this." If this is irrelevant, it probably should not have been mentioned because it is misleading.

BTW, I did not appreciated the tone in your reply. We are trying to solve a problem in a constructive manner here.

I didn't appreciate your initial tone either. So I'll leave you guys to your troubleshooting then. 

Luke,

I've been having the same issues. Feel free to ignore this idea, but I wonder whether emby should just scan the folder for the download (name and size?) Instead of trying to communicate with the download manager?

I noticed that when I delete and reinstall the app, any previously downloaded media doesn't show in the app, but is on the SD card. I find myself using VLC to play everything instead.

Combining this problem, with the multiple download issue, and it seems like maybe that's a solution? Just an idea.

• 2 weeks later...
revengineer

Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are over, I am bumping this thread to not let it be forgotten.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
goldsworthy1

I believe its since my app updated. But my app can no sync video files as new ones are added. I get a download unsuccessful message everytime it tries to download an episode?

Is this a know issue?

• Like 1

jamvids

Same here, it has been reported, out of curiosity, what device is it, and is it external memory?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

jamvids

Ahh, mine is a Sony Xperia Z5 premium, it fails to the external, I just swapped to internal and that started syncing straight away. I am syncing flac. It is something they are working on I believe. I hope it's not far off, it's killing my battery.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

revengineer

So, with emby server upgrade to v4, the Android v2.9x apps seem to no longer work correctly. When I try to load a title, I see the actors but the title and option to download never shows. Instead I get the endless spinning circle. The v3 apps do not have this issue but the download to external SD card still does not work. As of now my Fire HD has become useless for travel. The download to external SD card seems to have become a bigger issue on hte development side. While this is being sorted out, is there a way to get the Android v2 app working with the emby v4 server?

revengineer

Pinging again... While there have been a few recent updates, non of them addressed the external storage issue and updates on this topic have been silent for a month now. I have lost the ability to sync movies to my tablet entirely, so that the device has become useless as a travel companion. I would buy another device but honestly so many people have reported sync issues on both cheap and expensive devices that I do not know what to buy. It seems like a crap-shoot.

I would like to know from @@Luke what the prognosis is of getting this fixed and from others get a recommendation for a <$200 device with 7-8" screen that will sync emby content to external storage.

Thank you.

revengineer

Fixing the sync may have become obsolete. The latest version of the app crashes back to the home screen after ~10 s of video play. No need to sync if I can't play. I wish I could go back two days when server v3.5.2 was working great with the v2.9.76 Android app...

atomicmoon

Fixing the sync may have become obsolete. The latest version of the app crashes back to the home screen after ~10 s of video play. No need to sync if I can't play. I wish I could go back two days when server v3.5.2 was working great with the v2.9.76 Android app...

Are you able to update to the latest version for Amazon Fire? I only ask, because I've been following this thread with you, (thank you too) and my Fire Tablet 7 is now working as intended since the 4.0 release. 

I'm just hoping there is a fix for you out there! If not, maybe we can get a pool together to get you a newer tablet! I'm all about knocking down barriers, and if your device is not able to hang, maybe we find a fix for that!

Cheers!

Is this with 3.0.31? I apologize for the issue. Can you please attach a server log? thanks.

revengineer

Are you able to update to the latest version for Amazon Fire? I only ask, because I've been following this thread with you, (thank you too) and my Fire Tablet 7 is now working as intended since the 4.0 release. 

I'm just hoping there is a fix for you out there! If not, maybe we can get a pool together to get you a newer tablet! I'm all about knocking down barriers, and if your device is not able to hang, maybe we find a fix for that!

Cheers!

Thank you for the wishes. I have a 7th gen Fire tablet and it is running the latest Fire OS 5.3.6.4. There is currently no upgrade available. I am glad to hear that worked for you.

I appreciate the idea for a pool, but there is no need. I would buy a device, but am unsure which ones do not have the issue I am experiencing.

revengineer

Is this with 3.0.31? I apologize for the issue. Can you please attach a server log? thanks.

Yes this is on 3.0.31 and seems to happen when I play a movie with subtitles. I seem to be able to reproduce it. I hate to derail this thread further, so I will open a new one and post a server log. I do not seem to be able to find an app log. At least, it's not where it used to be.

If you do have an update on the external SD card issue, I will take it.  :)

Chiming in to add to the list of devices. I have pixel 1, 2, 3 and am no longer able to sync. I also have a ZTE Spro2 android projector running emby for android version that was released October 18, 2018. I just registered for the emby android beta program in hopes that there is a more recent version that will allow me to sync content on the internal 256GB sd card. 

emby server version 4.0.0.2 

might not be capable. I have not tried until now to sync to the projector.