offline sync not working on amazon device

revengineer

revengineer

Out of curiosity, can you tell me how you have your amazon device configured:

fhd_sd-1.jpg

Thanks.

My config looks the same except the first option "Install supported apps on your sd card" is turned off.

revengineer

Can you please try this version and then attach the app log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9am2hgfcj403j8d/MediaBrowser.Mobile-googlearmv7-release.apk?dl=0

Thanks.

Logs attached. First successful download to internal memory, then several attempts to sync to external sd card. Interestingly, the last try gave an insufficient storage error for the almost empty external 64 GB memory card. Let me know whether the logs files contain what you need. 

EDIT: Problem now: the device has a notification for "download failed" that continues to pop up even after uninstall of the app and repeated reboots. How do I get rid of this???

EDIT2: The above problem is reproducible. Reinstalled the app, first download to external is stuck at "ready to transfer". When I delete the sync task and retry, I end up with another "paused download" that shows up in a persistent notification. Uninstalled app, rebooted, notification of now "2 paused downloads persists. When I click on the notification, the download queue shows as empty. So there is not obvious way to clear it and I need you help to get my device back to normal. Thanks.

EDIT3: I cleared the data for the Download Manager, the notification went away.

logs.zip

Edited by revengineer

revengineer

Only the download to internal memory was successful. The three attempts to sync to external SD card all failed, although they seemed to fail in different ways. 

Did this succeed?

LocalURI: content://downloads/all_downloads/2192

Sun Dec 09 07:51:44 EST 2018 AndroidDownloadReceiver - Moving internal file (ID 2192) from content://downloads/all_downloads/2192 to /storage/sdcard1/

Sorry this:

Dec 09 07:51:44 EST 2018 AndroidDownloadReceiver - Moving internal file (ID 2192) from content://downloads/all_downloads/2192 to /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/Who_Is_America_/Season_1/Who_Is_America_-_S01E01_-_101.eng.srt

revengineer

Sorry this:

Dec 09 07:51:44 EST 2018 AndroidDownloadReceiver - Moving internal file (ID 2192) from content://downloads/all_downloads/2192 to /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/Who_Is_America_/Season_1/Who_Is_America_-_S01E01_-_101.eng.srt

Now that you are asking, I did see that file on the external sd card but did not make much of it. From the message above I conclude that the file was first downloaded to internal memory and then moved to the external sd card. I do hope that this workaround is not the final solution. The internal memory on the Kindle Fire device is only 8 gigs. there is not even temporarily enough memory for an entire movie.

Also would you mind retesting with a small download such as a song? Thanks.

Unfortunately, I do not have any music on my emby server. I always tested with one of my smaller TV shows to speed up the process, but it is several 100 MB. A small test mp4 would work, not sure where to grab one.

From the message above I conclude that the file was first downloaded to internal memory and then moved to the external sd card. I do hope that this workaround is not the final solution. The internal memory on the Kindle Fire device is only 8 gigs. there is not even temporarily enough memory for an entire movie.

Unfortunately we don't have much choice in that area. We're using the Android Download Manager which is unable to download to 'removable'(!) storage, because - well, because it's removable.

This is the only drawback, though. On most Android devices this doesn't matter because they're having storage which is called 'external' (but is not removable) and DownloadManager can direct download to it.

Previously we were doing downloads manually but this never worked reliably outside of a lab/local environment, and with Android's latest efforts regarding power saving and restrictions regarding background app activity this is actually a dead end.

From this background I think that the best we can do here is to issue a warning notification when Emby cannot download due to low (internal) storage.

revengineer

Also would you mind retesting with a small download such as a song? Thanks.

Ok, googled "small test mp4" and retrieved a small sample file for testing. The sync to external sd card gets stuck at "Transferring". A zero byte file is created on the external sd card but the 2 MB download never completes. I attached the log.

Files_downloaded_by_AirDroid (1).zip

revengineer

Unfortunately we don't have much choice in that area. We're using the Android Download Manager which is unable to download to 'removable'(!) storage, because - well, because it's removable.

This is the only drawback, though. On most Android devices this doesn't matter because they're having storage which is called 'external' (but is not removable) and DownloadManager can direct download to it.

Previously we were doing downloads manually but this never worked reliably outside of a lab/local environment, and with Android's latest efforts regarding power saving and restrictions regarding background app activity this is actually a dead end.

From this background I think that the best we can do here is to issue a warning notification when Emby cannot download due to low (internal) storage.

It is disappointing to not have a path to a solution after weeks of testing. It's too bad because the Fire devices are the most affordable tablets on the market. I will not buy a more expensive tablet to get syncing to work. May I suggest that you put version 2.9 of the emby app back onto the app store as a "legacy app." Let me know if there is anything else than can be done. If not I will just revert to the old version, which worked fine for me.

We will think about possible options.

Am I right assuming that you were using sync previously only in your local network?

Ok, googled "small test mp4" and retrieved a small sample file for testing. The sync to external sd card gets stuck at "Transferring". A zero byte file is created on the external sd card but the 2 MB download never completes. I attached the log.

The log says it was successfully downloaded and moved to the SD card:

Thu Dec 13 19:35:22 EST 2018 AndroidDownloadReceiver get message for: 
ManagerDownloadInfo:
ID: 22 
URI: http://192.168.1.50:8096/emby/Sync/JobItems/dfcd08ce45364c86a3b0b32a2f1e7b05/File?api_key=346b4d34535042e49a54d70d569bba01 
Title: SampleVideo_1280x720_2mb 
Description: ####file:///storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/TEST_Whence_Series_Airtime/Season_Unknown/SampleVideo_1280x720_2mb.mp4 
LocalURI: content://downloads/all_downloads/22 
Thu Dec 13 19:35:22 EST 2018 AndroidDownloadReceiver - Moving internal file (ID 22) from content://downloads/all_downloads/22  to  file:///storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/TEST_Whence_Series_Airtime/Season_Unknown/SampleVideo_1280x720_2mb.mp4

revengineer

We will think about possible options.

Am I right assuming that you were using sync previously only in your local network?

Mostly, but I have on occasion downloaded movies remotely. When I do that, I am connect through OpenVPN running on my pfSense firewall. So I am essentially on the internal network. These downloads worked just fine with exception that hotel wifi is not the greatest to suck down 2 GB files. But given a whole night, the downloads eventually completed by morning. I never tried syncing remotely without VPN because it requires opening ports on the firewall, which I see as a security risk.

revengineer

The log says it was successfully downloaded and moved to the SD card:

Thu Dec 13 19:35:22 EST 2018 AndroidDownloadReceiver get message for: 
ManagerDownloadInfo:
ID: 22 
URI: http://192.168.1.50:8096/emby/Sync/JobItems/dfcd08ce45364c86a3b0b32a2f1e7b05/File?api_key=346b4d34535042e49a54d70d569bba01 
Title: SampleVideo_1280x720_2mb 
Description: ####file:///storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/TEST_Whence_Series_Airtime/Season_Unknown/SampleVideo_1280x720_2mb.mp4 
LocalURI: content://downloads/all_downloads/22 
Thu Dec 13 19:35:22 EST 2018 AndroidDownloadReceiver - Moving internal file (ID 22) from content://downloads/all_downloads/22  to  file:///storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/TEST_Whence_Series_Airtime/Season_Unknown/SampleVideo_1280x720_2mb.mp4

The download manager reports success, but emby server and app shows "Transferring." The file on the device is zero byte. Let me try again.

revengineer

Ok, just tried again. I see the download manager downloading the file and the notification reports "Download complete." However, the server and device still show "Transferring 0%." So this behavior is repeatable.

Thanks for the logs!

Does the file exist at least at the target location?

/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/TEST_Whence_Series_Airtime/Season_Unknown/SampleVideo_1280x720_2mb.mp4

Or is it still 0 bytes?

revengineer

Do you by chance have netflix?

Luke, I do have netflix and just tested download of movies to the external sd card on the fire device. It works just fine. However, the netflix app seems to have its own download manager; the notifications are different than those from the OS download manager. 

revengineer

Can you figure the location it is downloading to on the sd card? Thanks.

The path is /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/files/Download/.of/80240715. The emby path on the external card is /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/..."