HDHomeRun Connect Has Disappeared From Network

notla49285

notla49285

Firstly, this is not an Emby problem, this is a HDHomeRun problem. I was going to post this in General Discussion, but thought it would be more relevant here.

My HDHomeRun has disappeared off the network. I'm working remotely at the moment so can't physically pull the power and restart it. I noticed no live TV stuff was available on Emby this morning (last time I used it was around midnight last night), visited my.hdhomerun.com and sure enough, no HDHomeRun is found. However, it appeared on my router's attached devices list and I could navigate to it using it's internal network IP. There were no logs on the HDHomeRun after I stopped streaming last night, and that's as far as diagnosis can go, there's no option to reboot or reset it.

I rebooted my router and now it won't connect to the network at all. There was an internal IP address reserved for it, I removed this reservation and rebooted the router but it still won't connect. I had problems when I first connected it up, I got the same situation as above, so just left it alone for a couple of hours and it randomly started working. I don't like random issues, so if this is how it's going to be then it's going to get sold.

Anybody else had this?

Edit: I thought it wouldn't connect to the router as it didn't appear on the network map, but I've just been able to navigate to it using it's IP address as above. This is after clearing browser cache and restarting. This is bizarre, how can I navigate to the device on the network even though my router doesn't even see it as connected???

Edit 2: I've now installed the HDHomeRun Windows application and been able to detect the tuner and stream TV through them, but it still doesn't appear on my network map and Emby still can't find it.

Edit 3: I ran a channel scan using the HDHomeRun Windows application and it picked up all the channels it should, clicked Apply and it saved the configuration. The tuner then appeared on the network and my.hdhomerun.com could also detect it, but Emby couldn't. I reserved an IP address for it on the router again, rebooted the router and it disappeared from the network again. Ran the same process in the HDHomeRun app, it reappeared on the network, on my.hdhomerun.com and now Emby discovered it so refreshed the TV guide and I can now stream again, so now I'm just waiting for it to break again. Still awaiting a response from SiliconDust, not impressed so far.

Edited by notla49285

clarkss12

A couple of months ago, my HDHomeRun Connect (not my Extend) would drop off my network EVERY night, this continued for about a month.  It was not just my one tuner, but also ONE out of my 5 security cams.  Swapped, almost all of my networking equipment, including my router.  Also, purchased a different 16 port Ethernet switch, but nothing helped.  The only thing those items that kept dropping off my network, was those two items.  Strangely, that problem just went away after a month of pulling what little of my hair, out.  But, right around the time, the problem of those two items dropping off the network every night, I received a car from my power company telling me about the improvement they have been making on their system.  I called them, and they said they started work around the same time my problems started, and they finished their work around the same time MY problems ended.

Is it possible, the power company was doing something each night that was dropping my specific items off the network??  Can't confirm, because I do not have a line disturbance analyzer, to inspect the quality of the incoming voltage.  

Anyway, my reason for mentioning this, is because it may be a voltage issue causing your device/s to drop off your network.  The voltage that is supplied, is not CLEAN, it contains lots of spikes and sags, which CAN affect the power supplies of your devices.  IF you have UPS (uninterruptible power supply), try connecting your tuner to that and see if that resolves your issue.

notla49285

There are no works to my knowledge in the area involving power, although the electricity infrastructure is a lot different in the UK to the US so I'm not sure if/how that would affect it. There are also no other issues with any other device in the house (there are a few, including security cameras).

Also, this is the first time it's actually dropped out. I had this same issue when I first installed it but I figured that was installation and first run issues, I also didn't go through the process of installing the Windows client then either. Waiting for SiliconDust's response, since my original post it's been working no problem.

Edited by notla49285

notla49285

This thing has been in and out all day and no response from SiliconDust yet, this is getting on my nerves now, can anybody recommend an alternative to HDHomeRun? Preferably a product that actually works?

Edited by notla49285
  • Like 1

kanipek

I wonder if your power supply may be failing on you? Have you checked the output or swapped?

notla49285

I will check the power supply when I get home. What I find strange is that I can always stream via the HDHomeRun application for Windows, whether it is responding to Emby or not.

I've checked the error logs and it is the box's fault, Emby is calling http://[HDHomeRun IP]/discover.json and it just keeps timing out due to no response.

Edit: it's now back working again, I haven't done anything to prompt this.

Edited by notla49285

This piece of shit has been in and out all day and no response from SiliconDust yet, this is getting on my nerves now, can anybody recommend an alternative to HDHomeRun? Preferably a product that actually works?

Let me know when you find one, mine is having issues on and off (HDHomrRun Prime. Have to reboot the network to get it to work again. Tired of waiting on Prime 6 to come out.

notla49285

I see that Hauppauge tuners also work with Emby, though I saw somewhere that HDHomeRun works best (clearly not), is there any disadvantage to using a Hauppauge PCI card instead?

I see that Hauppauge tuners also work with Emby, though I saw somewhere that HDHomeRun works best (clearly not), is there any disadvantage to using a Hauppauge PCI card instead?

For me, I use a cable card (Hauppauge seems limited to 2 tuners on theirs). For your situation, it might be better. But I've only have a 10 year old (Hauppauge PCI) one that I tried to use a couple of years ago and didn't work, so don't take my word for it. 

HDHR does work best due to it having a friendlier developer api for Emby to work with.

kanipek

Is it possible whatever port it is connected to is going into a power saving mode?

notla49285

This is what I've had from SiliconDust:

Not sure we follow that the device is what is cutting out. If you're able to access the device via the web page and run a channel scan via HDHomeRun Setup, then the device is working, and something else is causing the problems.

Do you have a VPN in use on the PC? Or any kind of third-party firewall, security, or web filtering software? Such programs often interfere and result in the type of problems you're seeing.

- Silicondust Support

I do have a VPN though it's been running all day today and the HDHR has been both working and not working, I'll try going all day tomorrow where it's not running and see if it cuts out. I've also asked if there are any firewall rules that I should put in to allow connections (though surely it would either permanently work or permanently not?).

notla49285

Is it possible whatever port it is connected to is going into a power saving mode?

If it is, how would I stop this?

notla49285

Where is it connected to the network?

I have an CAT6 cable from the router going to a Netgear gigabit switch, which hosts the tuner, my Emby server and a PS4 which is barely used.

kanipek

I have an CAT6 cable from the router going to a Netgear gigabit switch, which hosts the tuner, my Emby server and a PS4 which is barely used.

I don't know if your router has power saving or green/eco mode - it is worth investigating

Is this Netgear switch a Nighthawk model? - If so there are two or three power saving features to look at

Each of those devices can be reached from your browser, entering the IP address of the device.

Also I would disable the power management features on the adapter of the Emby server to see if it makes a difference

notla49285

I don't know if your router has power saving or green/eco mode - it is worth investigating

Is this Netgear switch a Nighthawk model? - If so there are two or three power saving features to look at

Each of those devices can be reached from your browser, entering the IP address of the device.

Also I would disable the power management features on the adapter of the Emby server to see if it makes a difference

It is a Netgear D6300 and to my knowledge has no power saving mode. What are you referring to when you say the adapter of the Emby server? If you mean the gigabit switch this has no power management, it's literally just a powered switch with no additional features.

I'm starting to think it's the VPN on my server, my.hdhomerun.com hasn't been able to detect it all day, I've switched off the VPN tonight and it picked it up immediately. Will continue monitoring throughout tomorrow.

kanipek

It is a Netgear D6300 and to my knowledge has no power saving mode. What are you referring to when you say the adapter of the Emby server? If you mean the gigabit switch this has no power management, it's literally just a powered switch with no additional features.

I'm starting to think it's the VPN on my server, my.hdhomerun.com hasn't been able to detect it all day, I've switched off the VPN tonight and it picked it up immediately. Will continue monitoring throughout tomorrow.

The network adapter on the PC running Emby

Yes a VPN can be the issue as well --failed to mention that

Does it also fail to appear under network devices in Windows explorer when the VPN is up???

notla49285

I've tested this several times over the past couple of days and it always correlates with the VPN being switched on or off, so I'm saying VPN. I'll work around this. Thanks all for your help.

For info, this was the last I heard from SiliconDust:

If the VPN happens to have a brief disconnect/reconnect it will make changes to the network configuration when that happens, and having the firewall can further complicate that. Some firewalls will reset all active connections any time a network interface changes state as a security precaution, and that will interrupt video streaming from the HDHomeRun when that happens. There wouldn't normally be any rule you could configure to change that, it's just the inherent design of the program and the only way to test that out would be to completely uninstall it (merely disabling the firewall is not enough, because it's still running and hooked into the network at a low level). 

Edited by notla49285

Depending on how the VPN is setup and where it can be changing your default routes making contact with the HDHomeRuns impossible.

HOWEVER, what is strange is that the IP is NOT showing up in the router since it's responsible for DHCP (IPs).

notla49285

HOWEVER, what is strange is that the IP is NOT showing up in the router since it's responsible for DHCP (IPs).

During the latter part of my testing it was showing up on the router, with the VPN on and off, very strange. I can consistently make it work by switching the VPN off now though so I'm not going to waste any more time on it.

Do yourself a favor and lookup the command line command you can issue from a computer with the HDHomeRun setup installed on it.  You can setup a batch file to reboot that sucker if you have remote access to your home computer.