Choppy Playback on Galaxy S7 - Transcode bitrate too high?

easperhe

easperhe

All,

Very new to Emby so hope this isn't user error. I setup a pretty powerful media-server PC with Emby. But our phones apps are getting very different results trying to playback the same TV recording. On the Emby dashboard, I can see (latest App version for both phones)

* Galaxy S7: Transcode bitrate 8.8 Mpbs (very choppy playback on S7)

* iphone 6S: Transcode bitrate 1.5 Mpbs (very smooth playback on 6S)

There's no issue with the server transcoding fast enough. You can see on the dashboard that the transcode easily leads the playback. So, it seems like Emby thinks the phone can handle that high of a bitrate but the phone really can't. I thought Emby could sense stutter in video playback and lower bitrate accordingly. 

Suggestions? Is there a way to force Emby server to use a lower bit rate for S7 (when not on wifi)?

Edited by easperhe

notla49285

You can set a streaming bitrate limit per user but not per device AFAIK. I've also experienced issues with Emby not picking up on the fact that a video is stuttering :(

I would try lowering the in-app quality setting to a low enough value until the problem goes away. thanks.

easperhe

Luke - that did work. But I thought Emby was supposed to sense stuttering and adjust. But good to have this work-around.

However, I found another related issue. When I'm on Wifi at work, the Emby Android App thinks I'm on my home network when I'm not. I still have to go through the internet to get to server:

work Wifi <=> Internet <=> home Wifi

When on Wifi at work, Emby is trying to direct play the video and this has bad stuttering. Seems to me there are 3 scenarios:

1. Home Wifi (server and client on same home wifi network)

2. Non-Home Wifi  (server and client on different wifi networks) - limitation here is likely the upload speed of home internet connection (for me ~5 Mbps)

2. Cellular (server and/or client on cellular network) - limitation here is the cellular speed

Yes it is and we are constantly looking at improving our automatically quality selection. Until it reaches a level of perfection though, you can always manually control it. Thanks.