Potential plugin for Media Organization based on tags

JBubba

Hey all, I'm somewhat new here, only been using Emby for about a month so far.  I have a unique situation where my wife loves Hallmark and Christmas movies, to the point where it is about 30-40% of my entire movie library.  I don't watch these, so I've wanted to isolate them into their own "Movie" library all on their own.

I've been considering writing a program that would do this for me (when I was using Plex), but I'm curious if anybody else would be interested in something like this for Emby.  If I wrote it as a plugin, I would initially focus on the following features:

- Ability for people to add "tags" to identify as potential moves for a library

- Scheduled task that would look at a library, and identify items with that "tag" (keyword) from TMDB.

- Ability for user to un-flag items based on that tag.  (In my case, I don't want a movie like Die Hard from being moved to the Christmas library, even though it's the best Christmas movie out there)

- Additional scheduled task to actually perform the moves and re-scan the libraries

Settings would allow for users to define tags for each library to search for, and what library to move those items to.

I'm sure that more features and options would come out of this as development went on, but i'm kind of curious as far as community interest in something like this before I dive deep into the plugin development.  Writing a stand-alone program for myself would be multitudes faster for me, but I'm a fan of Emby and want to start contributing however I can, and I think this would be the best initial plugin I could write.

Anyways, if ya'll have any thoughts or even suggestions on something like this, let me know!

-J

Sounds good, although it would probably make more sense for us to just add an option to have the movie db provider import keywords into tags.

That would make the overall process easier.  Then it would simply be a plugin that could move items based upon tags.

Is that something I could accomplish with a simple fork and pull request?  I'm trying to follow  the development style ya'll are doing with this project.

Edited by JBubba

Sounds good, although it would probably make more sense for us to just add an option to have the movie db provider import keywords into tags.

Should I make an official feature request for that?

• 11 months later...