Best Device for Emby 4K, HDR, Atmos?

IceBoosteR

Dibbes

I have read conflicting statements by Nvidia,  They quote only 720P and higher in one spot than in another they state 480P?  And from what I can gleen from other sources its 50/50, so hence the question?

I read it that way too, but conflicting statements had me wondering.

Thanks

A little disclaimer first: None of the below comes from nvidia, it's all personal opinions/observations

It will do 480p (the device supports it and shows so when running 480p content), however, there are some caveats, I noticed. To deliver a proper upscaled imaged to 720p (and even 1080p), the 480p content should be uncompressed and high-quality. As soon as the content has even a bit of compression, you´ll notice this immediately. Also, details may look too smooth (for a lack of a better word) as those are extrapolated. In other words, do not expect your SD content to be magically transformed into proper blu-ray quality, It looks a lot better than without the upscaling, but it really is no substitute.

480p to 4k is pretty much a  disaster, this mainly because there is too much detail missing for the device to extrapolate properly. (4k has about 96% more detail than 480p and I haven't seen the tech yet that can extrapolate this properly). 720p to 4k is not as disastrous as SD to 4k, but in my opinion, it's not very pretty.

All in all, the Shield 2019 does a proper upscale 480p to 720p and 720p to 1080p though, very watchable.

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

A little disclaimer first: None of the below comes from nvidia, it's all personal opinions/observations

480p to 4k is pretty much a  disaster, this mainly because there is too much detail missing for the device to extrapolate properly. (4k has about 96% more detail than 480p and I haven't seen the tech yet that can extrapolate this properly). 720p to 4k is not as disastrous as SD to 4k, but in my opinion, it's not very pretty.

Get an HTPC :D

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/?p=842285

vdatanet

Can you do the same with 480p?  ;)

In my land there's an idiomatic expression "D’on no n’hi ha, no en raja", in english we can say "you can't get blood from a stone"

• Like 1

Dibbes

In my land there's an idiomatic expression "D’on no n’hi ha, no en raja", in english we can say "you can't get blood from a stone"

quant temps que he escoltat aixo... jeje (vaig estar vivitn a Barcelona per a uns anys)

Anyway, that was pretty much my whole point when I wrote this:

All in all, the Shield 2019 does a proper upscale 480p to 720p and 720p to 1080p though, very watchable.

Edited by Dibbes

Guest asrequested

Upscaling isn't meant to improve picture quality. It's designed to maintain the same quality at higher resolutions. Image changes are done using filters, like edge enhancement, debanding and artifact removal. Some upscalers will help with that, but that isn't their main function. Pixel interpolation is what they do.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

blumamba

It will do 480p (the device supports it and shows so when running 480p content), however, there are some caveats, I noticed. To deliver a proper upscaled imaged to 720p (and even 1080p), the 480p content should be uncompressed and high-quality. As soon as the content has even a bit of compression, you´ll notice this immediately. Also, details may look too smooth (for a lack of a better word) as those are extrapolated. In other words, do not expect your SD content to be magically transformed into proper blu-ray quality, It looks a lot better than without the upscaling, but it really is no substitute.

Great, I just wanted conformation.  I have htpc's and I have noticed that over the past several months none of my sd material (ripped to hevc/mkv HQ) still looked SD.  Where in the past some of it looked awesome, using GTX1060.  I was reading in here that I would need to do some configurations (yup still have'nt got around to the initial configs!) that should solve that.  So no need to complain about that because I have'nt tried it :rolleyes:

If the Shield will do it nicely (from what I have read overall its pretty good) I wont need to spend the extra cash on a htpc and configure!

Thanks again!

Edited by blumamba

Dibbes

Upscaling isn't meant to improve picture quality. It's designed to maintain the same quality at higher resolutions. Image changes are done using filters, like edge enhancement, debanding and artifact removal. Some upscalers will help with that, but that isn't their main function. Pixel interpolation is what they do.

@ I just try to describe what I'm seeing... I don't always have the technical vocabulary though and half the time I need Google to translate into English what you and others are writing here. (I understand the Catalan @@vdatanet wrote earlier a lot better than the average technical post on this forum) I'm learning a lot though, so that's good...

Great, I just wanted conformation.  I have htpc's and I have noticed that over the past several months none of my sd material (ripped to hevc/mkv HQ) still looked SD.  Where in the past some of it looked awesome, using GTX1060.  I was reading in here that I would need to do some configurations (yup still have'nt got around to the initial configs!) that should solve that.  So no need to complain about that because I have'nt tried it :rolleyes:

If the Shield will do it nicely (from what I have read overall its pretty good) I wont need to spend the extra cash on a htpc and configure!

Thanks again!

I like my Shield and it really does what it needs to do and then some... for me it exceeded expectation, tbh :-)

Edited by Dibbes

Guest asrequested

All good. I just didn't want anyone thinking that upscaling is intended to improve the picture quality. Having said that, I would imagine that Nvidia has probably employed some kind of filter to help with picture quality.

• 4 months later...