Can't Upgrade to Version 3.5 on DietPi

ssinno28

ssinno28

Hello,

I currently run my emby server on a rasberry pi that is running the diet pi OS. When I go to my emby server dashboard it says I need to upgrade emby-server to 3.5, but when I run apt-get update or apt-get upgrade it says that emby-server is already at its newest verson... Is there no package for diet pi at the moment for version 3.5? I know that it was migrated from mono to dot net core, so I'm wondering if I need to do a clean install in order to upgrade to the newest verson.

JaScoMa

I too am running DietPI on a Pi3b+.  When i installed DietPI, I installed the emby which comes with the software. 

I then went to the emby download page for linux (https://emby.media/linux-server.html) and downloaded the latest verison; but for the ARMv7 version (emby-server-deb_3.5.3.0_armhf.deb).

You can then installed this version by running: dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.5.3.0_armhf.deb

This will update emby to the latest version.

Hope this helps..

P.S.

I can also report that upgrading to the latest version 4 beta is beneficial too.  Seems a lot faster and also, I have yet for it to crash for me.

Thanks for the feedback! We have a dedicated arm64 package now so just make sure you get the right one for you. Thanks.

ssinno28

Thanks for the quick answers guys! I downloaded the package and am installing now, but I'm running into an error and I'm not 100% certain how to upgrade libc6 to the required version. I'm doing my best to try and upgrade libc6 (including everything else), but it keeps saying everything is up to date.

5c3abd6852789_dietpiscreenshot.png

Edited by ssinno28

ssinno28

Its not allowing me to update it because it has a dependency on libc6 version 2.2 and I don't think that I can upgrade rasbian jesse to version 2.2. I've tried adding sources and still a no go. Is your install Wheezy or Jesse? 

JaScoMa

I'm using DietPi as the OS for the Pi; since I just use this Pi for the Emby server.  It's stripped further than the lite version of Raspian.  You can get it here: https://dietpi.com

It's very easy to install, configure and get up and running.  Plus, it has Emby 3.5.2.0 as an installable package which when you first install DietPI, you can have it install Emby as well.   I've updated from this using 3.5.3.0, 3.6.0.84 beta, 4.0.0.0 beta and 4.0.0.1 beta without any issues of missing packages, etc.

Originally, I used this guide to install DietPi; https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/setup-emby-server-with-raspberry-pi-3/

Hope this helps.

Also, ensure you're using the armhf packages since there isn't a 64-bit distro for Pi yet; some are saying not until the Pi4 comes out.

Edited by JaScoMa

JaScoMa

The only issue I've had with DietPi is that the connection to my NAS device which I store my media on.  Trying to configure the connection doesn't work properly; reports it can't connect.

But I still use option 8 of the Dietpi-configure program so that it'll install the needed packages and then later edit the fstab file to ensure things are mounted properly.

For example, I add the entry below to the /etc/fstab file (without quotes):

"//111.222.333.444/%mediafolder%/ /mnt/myNAS cifs rw,username=%username%,password=%password%,uid=emby,gid=emby 0 0"

This will mount the drive so that the emby user and group are owners of the mount so Emby can add NFO and JPG files, etc.

ssinno28

I'm not starting from scratch though, I"m trying to upgrade an existing instance of emby server.. If you take a look at the screenshot I tried installing both arm64 and armhf versions, no dice.

Edited by ssinno28

• 1 month later...
JetStream

Hello,

I installed emby with the software guide found mentioned above.(Version 3.5.2.0) running dietpi as my OS.

However can't upgrade to the latest version of 4.0.2.0.

could someone walk me through the steps to upgrade.

Thanks in advance to all.

JaScoMa

Certainly..

1.  First, download the latest version of Emby from the download page.  Ensure you select Linux and then in the drop-down, select Debian and download the Debian Armv7 (armhf) version.

1.a.  I usually download from windows, copy to my NAS and then install the package from my NAS device on the PI.

1.b.  Or, you can SSH to your PI and then copy the link to the latest version and use WGET to download the package to your PI.

1.b.1.  e.g.  wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.0.2.0/emby-server-deb_4.0.2.0_armhf.deb

1.b.2.  Since you probably logged into DietPI as root, this will download the install file to the root home folder, "~". 

2.  Visit your emby server from your browser and select manage server; this will take you to your dashboard.

3.  From the dashboard, stop your emby server.

3.a.  Or without needing to visit the dashboard and using SSH:  dietpi-services stop emby-server

4.  Go to the directory wherever you downloaded the latest emby-server version.

5.  Execute the following command to install the latest Emby server version:  dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.0.2.0_armhf.deb

6.  This should install the latest Emby version.  Look for any errors during the installation, but I've never had any issues.

7.  Once done, I usually just reboot my PI afterwards, but you can restart the emby server by restarting the services:  dietpi-services restart

If you've already added some of your libraries, emby will take some time while it upgrades the database to the latest version.

Hope this helps..

Edited by JaScoMa
  • Like 1

JetStream

A BIG THANKS TO JaScoMa !

worked really well. here is what I did.

emby in dietpi upgrade

Steps:
1: Login to dietpi with Putty
2: Stop emby server  ( dietpi-services stop emby-server )
3: Change from root to home folder ( cd /home/ )
4 : Download update from emby ( wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.0.2.0/emby-server-deb_4.0.2.0_armhf.deb )
5: Install update ( dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.0.2.0_armhf.deb )
6: Reboot PI from inside putty. ( reboot )
Now updated.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
PaperPlayn

https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6914

I found these instructions and followed them instead.  Seems a lot simpler and worked fine for me.  Copying the relevant portion below.

Step 1: Perform a backup of DietPi. I've done this twice now and did not lose my settings either time, but having a backup will allow you to easily restore it in case Step 2 is more eventful for you than it has been for me.

Step 2: Login to your dietpi as root, and run the following:

dietpi-software reinstall 41

Wait for while for full library refresh; then reboot the server.  That's it!

(I lost a few artwork associations and such, but I doubt that would have been any different with a manual installation.)

On 5/25/2021 at 6:27 PM, PaperPlayn said:

https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6914

I found these instructions and followed them instead.  Seems a lot simpler and worked fine for me.  Copying the relevant portion below.

dietpi-software reinstall 41

Wait for while for full library refresh; then reboot the server.  That's it!

(I lost a few artwork associations and such, but I doubt that would have been any different with a manual installation.)

@PaperPlayn thanks for the info !