DLNA not always showing

Ninko

Hi,

For some reason most of the time my Roku streaming stick can't see the Emby DLNA server. It's appeared like once or twice but that's it, no idea why.

I'm using the Roku Media Browser app.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ninko

Hi,

It's not discoverable, it doesn't show up as an option when I load the Roku Media app.

Thanks

Ninko

Hi,

I tried that, no joy.

I have a DLNA app on my phone and that can see the Emby server, although I have noticed it doesn't always appear straight away, 10-15 second delay.

Thanks

Ninko

Hi,

Is there any further information I can give you to help identify the problem or anything I can do?

Thanks

Ninko

I have also problems with dlna, streaming from windows server to Sony amp. Works fine sometimes and then it just hangs, no sound but emby keeps playing and I can not stop and pause. This time it stopped after 10 minutes after pressing stop. Turned off and on amp a few times in between.

No network activity and no significant CPU. The server is on Gbit and amp wifi via ubnt access point. Data on SSD so no disk performance issues. Will try to run amp of Gbit if I find a spare port on the switch.

A thought, I might not have logged on the server before I started playing, and it started after I logged on, so that needs investigating.

I have also problems with dlna, streaming from windows server to Sony amp. Works fine sometimes and then it just hangs, no sound but emby keeps playing and I can not stop and pause. This time it stopped after 10 minutes after pressing stop. Turned off and on amp a few times in between.

No network activity and no significant CPU. The server is on Gbit and amp wifi via ubnt access point. Data on SSD so no disk performance issues. Will try to run amp of Gbit if I find a spare port on the switch.

A thought, I might not have logged on the server before I started playing, and it started after I logged on, so that needs investigating.

Hi there, can we look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !

crazybbs

Same problem here on lg blueray player, i need to restart server to make emby dlna server appear, after a few minutes server disapear and only a server restart can make it appear again

Edited by crazybbs
  • Like 1

The default blast alive interval is set to 30 minutes. you could try changing that in Emby so that it's more frequent.

• 2 weeks later...
martincom

I'm having the same issue as Ninko.  Emby randomly appears as a DLNA server on a Roku 4400 and at other times not.  When it does appear on the Roku, I receive a "Server connection error Not able to connect to Emby - MECHRMSERVER2 please check your connection."

Emby does not appear at all on a Sony A/V receiver or as another "library" on a Windows 7 network client app: Windows Media Player.

I have shorten the the "alive" interval to 30 seconds.

I had encountered a similar problem with Serviio broadcasts being blocked by the D-Link DIR-655 wifi router having its upnp box unchecked.  Enabling it cleared the issue.

Here is the results of the Powershell script, indicating it is broadcasting:

5c55c40b65c04_EmbyPowershell.png

martincom

Update to previous post #18:

Emby DLNA server also randomly appears on Sony Blu-Ray player.  The categories and their contents also display.  However, when attempting to access a directory (album), the Sony player returns an error message of "There is no playable file."  The files are in the wma format and the same player plays the same file from a different DLNA server.

Emby eventually displayed on the Windows Media Player and files can be played successfully from it.

martincom

Does the bluray player support those wma files or do they require conversion, do you know? Thanks.

No, they are not converted.  The same library data base plays on the same bluray player utilizing Windows Media Server DLNA, that is included with Server 2012 Essentials.  It does not support any transcoding and is a pretty basic DLNA server.  It was just something I activated to test against.

To provide some background, we've cut the cord from DirecTV and are moving to streaming.  In the past, I had ran Serviio as the DLNA server hosted on our home server, Windows 2012 Server Essentials.  We decided we would also like to move our video library to a server.  This was more than I desired to host on the main home server, so we set up a second Server 2012 Essentials.  Likewise, we selected Emby as our media server software to host the home video library.  We copied the music library from the primary server to the new media server.  Once we get it up and running, we'll remove the Windows Media Server and media libraries from the primary home server.

Edited by martincom

martincom

what model bluray player?

It is actually a low end home theatre system with the integrated Blu-Ray player: Sony BDV-E570.

I also checked the operation on another Sony Blu-Ray player, BDP-S570, and it fails to function in exactly the same manner.  It detects the Emby server, displays the library directories, but when attempting to access playable files within a directory, the player returns the error: "There are no playable files."  Again, the same player functions normally when playing the same content from the Windows Home Media Server DLNA.

In addition, I checked operation on a Pioneer television, PDP-6020FD.  It fails in exactly the same manner as the Sony units.  It detects Emby, displays the library directories, but when attempting to open a directory to display the playable files, returns the error message "No viewable content."  Again, it function normally with the Windows Home Media Server DLNA.

Lastly, I checked a Samsung television, UN46C6500VF.  The Samsung would randomly detect the Emby server, but not consistently.  When it was detected, it would dropout and disconnect in the few seconds I was browsing the library directory structure.  On a single instance, I did manage to browse through the library directories and it did display a list of playable files--something the Sony/Pioneer had not.  When I attempted to play a file, it returned an error message: "The file is not a supported format."  The latter also displayed the same error message when attempting to play the same file via the Windows Home Media Server.   I believe this Samsung only supports the flac format and I have no transcoding profile to change the database wma files to flac and, as such, not an Emby issue.

Edited by martincom

I have a Sony BDPS3700 for testing that it seems to be working just fine on. Unfortunately it can often be difficult to support every device out there without actually having them on hand for testing.

martincom

I made some progress and in that, I believe I found the issue/solution the OP, Ninko, reported in post #1: Emby DLNA not always appearing  as a DLNA server on a Roku stick.  The Emby DLNA server is broadcasting an ALIVE message referencing an IPv6 address, not an IPv4, of the server PC. This can be determined by:

1. Starting from a Roku client home menu, select "Roku Media Player"

2. Highlight "All" and depress OK.

3. Highlight the Emby icon when it appears (this may take awhile if the DLNA server PC still has IPv6 enabled.  Do not select it.

4. With the Emby icon highlighted, depress the " * " button for options.

5.The url of the Emby DLNA server will be displayed by IP address and port number (8096).  Mine was broadcasting with an IPv6 address when the issue was occurring.

6. I disabled the IPv6 functionality on the DLNA server network properties panel (Windows network) by unchecking the box for IPv6.  Followed by a reboot.

7. The Roku client now readily displays the Emby DLNA server and when re-checking the options (steps 4 & 5 above), now displays an IPv4 address.  It also readily displays the library directories.

While the Roku Ultras I have deployed are suppose to support IPv6, a number of the devices on my network do not.  In particular, my wifi router which also serves as my gateway and DHCP server.  As it does not support IPv6 it, obviously, will not assign an IPv6 address to the Roku.  Checking the Roku network settings, it only reports a IPv4 address and makes no reference or place holder for IPv6.  As such, I'm going to speculate this is why the Roku would only randomly detect the DLNA server broadcasting with an IPv6 address.

I'm now having the issue with the Roku DLNA client I reported with the Sony & Pioneer DLNA clients, the file contents of a library directory do not display and the Roku returns the error message "No compatible media found in: <name of library>.  The Roku DLNA client will play a movie from the server library, however.   As the issue with the music library file contents not being displayed has now been determined not to be related to the original issue of this thread, I will create a new thread identifying it as the issue so it can be easily searched in the future.