Cat 6 too long?

jachin99

jachin99

I have a 200 ft. Cat six cable run to my theater room. After doing a few speed tests I consistently get a 30mbs connection speed where I reach 100 mbs on a server connected directly to my router. I have read that long cat 6 runs like mine can cause such a drop. What would be a good way to boost my speed sin Thia room. I'm not against running coax to that room instead.

I thought the max without a repeater was like 300ft. Are you running shielded Cat6? Any electrical interference or maybe a bad punch?

Wilky13

I’d agree with the reply that it is either interference or a bad end punch.

For interference: make sure it doesn’t run parallel to any electrical wiring and doesn’t go through your floor or wall through the same hole electrical goes through. If it crosses any electrical make sure it crosses at a 90 degree angle.

For bad punch: Get a cheap LAN cable tester to make sure all 8 wires are making contact and not crossed.

I have about a 100’ Cat 6 run from my FIOS router to a switch and then another 100’ run to my hackintosh. I have gigabit FIOS and periodically run speed tests on the hackintosh and consistently get 960 mbs plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Wilky13

jachin99

I'll have to get some testers and take a look at how that cable is run.  Is there a recommended tester I can be looking for?  Is there one that measures interference?  To be honest, the route I have that cable taking isn't likely to change.  I do have a lot of gear piled on top itself in my office including my router so I'll be looking to move things around at that location in particular.  My next question is out of left field but here it is.  It would be beneficial to improve my wifi setup because I get about ten to fifteen percent of my internet connection speed on average via WIFI.  I would like to wire some APs via ethernet as well, and setup 3 Wireless AC APs.  My house is about 2700 some odd square feet, its brick, and it has 3/4 Inch dry wall.  Would setting up wifi be good alternative if my cable is somehow broken or I can't improve its speed for whatever reason.  The cable seems like the quickest, cheapest option but I do need better wifi at some point anyway.  The current cable is UTP, would STP eliminate interference problems.  I was considering google mesh. 

rbjtech

I'd also question how this is happening - Ethernet speeds are 10, 100 and 1000, 10,000 etc - and the line 'should' auto-neg down to the lower speed if there are line quality issues - or not work at all.  To the best of my knowledge, it cannot and will not auto-neg to '30 Mbit/sec' ...

Cat 5e is more than capable of running 1Gig over 300 feet (100M) so your Cat 6 going 200 feet should also have no issues at all ...

Don't get mis-led into needing Cat 6 or 7 - it's complete tosh for 1Gig networking. ;)

Edited by rbjtech

Guest asrequested

It's not quite that simple. If there's significant electrical noise, that will affect it. That's why I suggested cat 7. Cat 7 has shielding and more twists per inch, to protect against that.

rbjtech

It's not quite that simple. If there's significant electrical noise, that will affect it. That's why I suggested cat 7. Cat 7 has shielding and more twists per inch, to protect against that.

Sure - fully aware of that - but are we seriously suggesting that a users home has that much EMI that it needs a Cat 7 cable to go 200 feet ! ...  :o

I think the problem lies elsewhere - I have Cat 5e run to 95m through multiple buildings - zero issues @ 1Gig ... 

The other way the OP can test is to pull back the cable and test it coiled up loosely but with the devices next to each other - if it's still 30Mbit/sec - then we have ruled out EMI ..

• 2 months later...
jachin99

Well it's been a while and I got a cable tester and everything checked out. I also can't see anywhere that my cable is parallel to power lines but I still only get 30 mbps I have my networking gear in kind of a pile in my office but today I got whar I needed to build a makeshift shelf. I think I'll need a second cable anyway but I'm going to try to trim down the first one because I only need about half of it. Can anyone recommend a known good spool of cable that I can purchase for future use?