Music: track artist not shown in album detail

mistercoffee

mistercoffee

Hi,

Trying not to post something that's been covered elsewhere but I'm not finding this specific issue...

See screenshot below from the web app. Each track is by a different artist, but one can't tell which artist goes with which track. The artist grouping at the top seems to be alpha sorted by first name.

If I select "edit metadata" for any one track, the artist for that track is shown (see second screenshot), but that's not really a solution to have to "edit" a track to see a basic piece of info. I'm counting "artist" as "basic info" :)

I haven't checked android (or any other) native app to see if this is different there.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature request.

thanks!

5c3a30a58a132_Screenshot20190112132305.p

5c3a31c1067ae_Screenshot20190112132549.p

Happy2Play

Only tracks with multiple artists display in track.

5c3a35abdc09f_album.jpg

Same with a Various Artist album, only tracks with multiple artists are displayed.

mistercoffee

Only tracks with multiple artists display in track.

5c3a35abdc09f_album.jpg

Same with a Various Artist album, only tracks with multiple artists are displayed.

Is that by design?

Happy2Play

@@Luke

I am seeing a random behavior on this on other albums. I will looks some more but only thing I can think of is different tags.

It would appear this all comes back to specific embedded tags as I have a mish-mash of music on my test machine.

mistercoffee

Thanks @@Luke. I did check Android app and it's the same. I should note that the artist *does* show up for the currently playing track in the player.

mistercoffee

@@Luke I figured out a workaround. If the compilation album's tracks all have Album Artist set to a single value, ie: "Various Artists," the individual Track Artist appears for each (see screenshot).

IMO, it should work like this:

* Album Artist is displayed at the top like it is now if all tracks have the same Album Artist.

* If Album Artist field is empty for all songs contained therein, display nothing (or "[no album artist]" or anything to indicate there's no info).

* If there are multiple Album Artist values for the tracks contained therein, show the list like it has now (or "Various Artists").

* ALWAYS display Track Artist with the track listing, 100% of the time, even if all the tracks are the same artist. 

I think the last point is the most important, since it will account for all cases. An album could have 10 songs with Album Artist = "Frank Sinatra" but one of them might have a Track Artist = "Frank Sinatra with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra," and another "Frank Sinatra and Tom Jones", etc, even though they are all on a "Frank Sinatra" album :)

[Edit] The last point also requires no logic change -- the info is already there and it should always display :)

Thoughts?

5c3b626760794_Screenshot20190113105420.p

Edited by mistercoffee