ColourBlind Issue - Roku app on Emby 4.0.0 [BETA]

Karpana

Hi There,

I updated to the latest beta release yesterday (4.0.0) and went to watch some television shows via my Roku afterwards.
I noticed a few colour/palette updates.

the bluish/purplish progress bar on the load screen .... Very nice.

the fastforward/rewind progress bar .... not so much.

I know I'm colourblind (notably in reds greens as well as in blues), and this is really a "me" issue
but given that 25% of men and about 2% of women are colourblind, i figured this is important to share.

the fastforward/rewind bar, while visible (it's a white or cream colour now), the progress element is nigh-on invisible to see.  
My girlfriend says its green or yellow on an off-white or cream background.

Bluntly put, I can no longer use the progress bar as I can't see the differences between the "bar" and the "progress within the bar".

Is this something that we as users can customize?
Or can we have somebody put it back to the way it was.

THanks.

@@Karpana The Roku purple works?  We can certainly add accessibility features for color blindness, sure. A new setting in the options that when enabled uses the standard Roku purple instead of the Emby green for those progress indicators.

Reference: Issue #183: ColorBlind Issue

We will follow up when this is in the Beta. Thanks for the report. :)

Note: My adult son is color blind and could never enter the armed services as a youth because of it. So I do understand the problem and can relate.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

@@speechles,

The purple on the episode loading screen works because of the contrast ... it's on a black background.
the fastforward bar is visible because it' contrasts against the black background that pops up as well.

now... I was watching some TV earlier (I updated Server 4.0.0.1 beta this morning).
And now the fastforward/rewind scrub bar is purple on black.

(I don't know if the Roku updated or not)

So at this point, the loading screen (purple on black) and the fastforward/rewind scrub (purple on black) works.

All of these are workable for me.

The issue, when I posted, was the last one showed a greenish bar rather the purple.

With that resolved (was it 4.0.1 that fixed it?) I no longer have a problem.

I think it was, at least doe me, the lack of distinction between the green progress bar and the pale-gray reference (again only in the last pic) that was the problem.

Happy2Play

All of these are workable for me.

The issue, when I posted, was the last one showed a greenish bar rather the purple.

With that resolved (was it 4.0.1 that fixed it?) I no longer have a problem.

The server does not control the colors in the app.  This is all controlled by the Roku channel/app itself.  So you would need to look at the version on the channel/app on the setting menu.

But I like the purple layout.

Interesting..

Didn't realize that was controlles on the Roku.

I just let the Rokus update themselves (on prod release).

I evidentially associated the issue/change to the server side ugprade to 4.0.0 (as it's the only thing I knew had changed, since I did it by hand).

That said, I do also like the look of the purple.

daedalus

great to address accessibility features

if "finished", it should be added to the other clients as well

Edited by daedalus

@@Karpana - Can I please get some clarification on exactly what you feel changed recently that made things less visible for you?  None of the elements that were changed this discussion have changed in the app.  The only change that was made was that the internal Roku elements that we used to force to green are now the standard Roku purple.

Thanks.

@@ebr,

At this moment ... everything is now fine.  So this thread can likely be closd.

However, two nights ago, shortly after I upgraded to 4.0.0, one of my Roku's was presenting a fastforward/rewind bar (while in a TV show) that utilized a off-white bar, with a pale green progress element (all on a black background).
THe effect of this green on off-white is that I was unable to see where the green ended and white began, making the progress bar impossible to use.  

Since then, I upgraded to 4.0.1, and my Roku is now showing an off-white progress bar, utilizing a purple progress element all on a black background.

So to recap ... at this point,nothing is wrong ... but there was a period of one day (Friday January 13th) where I couldn't see/utilize the Episode fastforward/rewind progress bar, as I simply could not distinguish the colours.