Photo

How to safely and efficiently upgrade to v4.x Stable?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 blade005 OFFLINE  

blade005

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 676 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 PM

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:33 PM

Can you post the server log.

I restarted the server since stopping the People refresh would not complete. Is this required, or do you need a log while it is failing and before a restart?

#42 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124278 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

Can you please attach the server log? Thanks !

#43 blade005 OFFLINE  

blade005

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

Can you please attach the server log? Thanks !

I can do that, but first let me share one of the MANY entries in the log that may point to my issue.

2019-01-18 14:40:19.009 Info App: Deleting dead Person 129370 Beth Grant.
2019-01-18 14:40:19.009 Info App: Deleting item, Type: Person, Name: Beth Grant, Path: \\EMBY-HTPC\Emby-Server_CACHE\metadata\People\B\Beth Grant, Id: 129370

My current configuration has the cache path blank to save to the default Emby Server location. About 12 months ago I had set a custom cache path indicated in RED above that I eventually decided against and set it back to the default path. People REFRESH task has run weekly since then without any issues, but the log is now showing many of these entries. Perhaps the move and upgrade of database in 4.0 is needing to clear all these bogus entries out? As indicated previously the refresh ran for 2+ hours yesterday and never indicated any progress.

I can share a full server log, but if I just need to set the task to run and show patience, I will.

#44 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124278 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

They're probably just old database entries that got migrated.

#45 blade005 OFFLINE  

blade005

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

They're probably just old database entries that got migrated.

They sure did get migrated. 9 Hours and 30 Minutes later the refresh task completed after removing all of these dead links. Next run of the task completed in about 3 minutes.

Will there be a plugin that will allow People in Metadata/People folder structure to be migrated over to the new folder layout? I'm running on a pretty thin storage limited W10 machine and can't afford a lot of 1GB and growing People folder to be duplicated in another folder structure for too long. Would be nice to migrate over and then delete the older folder structure and have the database running off of accurate locations.

#46 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124278 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

I don't think there's going to be a plugin, but i think we will find a way to honor the previous structure, yes.

#47 blade005 OFFLINE  

blade005

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

I don't think there's going to be a plugin, but i think we will find a way to honor the previous structure, yes.

If we are not trying to hold on to custom entries, would you advise shutting down Emby and removing the People folder and then once Emby is back up and running starting a People Refresh task run? This might take awhile to populate, but would that produce a cleaner and more responsive database structure?

#48 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124278 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

No I would not.

#49 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 13825 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:16 PM

If we are not trying to hold on to custom entries, would you advise shutting down Emby and removing the People folder and then once Emby is back up and running starting a People Refresh task run? This might take awhile to populate, but would that produce a cleaner and more responsive database structure?

I don't think this process would clear the database entries for all existing images already pointing to the existing imported \people folder images (path and image columns).  Only a new database would do this, at least from my tests.

• cayars likes this

#50 neik OFFLINE  

neik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Local time: 06:59 AM

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:04 AM

Would it make any noticeable difference creating a new database instead of using a migrated one?
Also, would this be possible without loosing watching statuses?

Or is this simply complete nonsense?

#51 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14822 posts
  • Local time: 05:59 AM
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:16 AM

Would it make any noticeable difference creating a new database instead of using a migrated one?

If you have Premier and the Backup plugin installed, with a successful backup, then you can restore WATCHED statuses after the new library is created.

If you don't have Premier, I belive you can do the same with the TRAKT plugin instead.
  • Happy2Play likes this

#52 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 13825 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:20 AM

CBers beat me to it.  If you know anything about databases you can export and import the information also.  The wiki talks about it.

https://github.com/M...store-user-data

• CBers likes this

#53 neik OFFLINE  

neik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:49 AM

Thanks you two.
I have Premier and will give it a try next weekend.

Thanks!

Edit: @Happy2Play, I am wondering how exactly did you do it? Did you just delete the library.db? What about other data, e.g. chapters, people, etc., do they need to be deleted as well or will they be used while building the new library.db? Thanks!

Edited by neik, 23 January 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#54 neik OFFLINE  

neik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

Anyone a hint for the last part of my post?

#55 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2323 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

I just updated and let it take it's time with the scan. All is well.

• cayars likes this

#56 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 13825 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

Personally if you are starting with a new database I would start from scratch.  Maintain a copy of your library (copy).db as it contains your userdata also.

The plugin is the easiest route, but you can transfer the table yourself.  New database would be the database created on new install or removal of old database.

You'll need to open the old library.db file, then attach the new library.db file. You can then migrate the data using: REPLACE INTO NewDB.userdatas SELECT * FROM userdatas

"NewDB" equals the name you used for attached database.  Any name can be used, you have to ensure that name is used in the command.

5c4a2866d9709_attached.jpg

Wait for first library scan to finish, shutdown server and transfer tables.

I would maintain a copy of your People folder but they are in limbo right now.

https://emby.media/c...-going-onwards/

**Actually save everything in your \metadata folder except library folder.  But Emby will automatically clean out that folder if you do keep it as all itemid folders are obsolete as new db equals new itemids.

Edited by Happy2Play, 24 January 2019 - 05:33 PM.

• cayars likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users