Photo

How to safely and efficiently upgrade to v4.x Stable?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 AM
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

OK, so I look after 5 Emby servers for friends and family and they are all currently running the Stable version, v3.5.3.

All 5 of the Emby servers I will be upgrading are relatively small and don't have any libraries other than TV and Movies.

I personally run Emby server Beta and have been through all of the 80+ versions of the v3.6, now v4.0, iterations, so things have changed gradually over all of the versions.

Upgrading a Stable server from v3.5.3 to v4.x will be a big hit for everyone concerned.

So, what is the best way to do this?

My idea is to disable chapter extraction during library scan, shutdown Emby, delete the library.db file, install the Stable version v4.x, run a library scan (minus the chapter extraction) and that should be it.

Once done, I will re-enable chapter extraction for future library scans.

This will rebuild the database from scratch and will not have the duplicated tables like an upgrade will end up with.

Personally, I'm happy with that approach, but I wondered if anyone else had any other thoughts or suggestions.

This might just be a "voice your concern" thread, but may be useful for others.
  • Spaceboy and Maximus Naxsus like this

#2 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

To get WATCHED statuses back, I will use the Backup plugin to restore it.
  • Sammy likes this

#3 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

I just want to add my experience, as I didn't hop into the beta until .82 or so from stable.

Honestly it went as smooth as can be, startup hung for a little while, but I was patient and it went fine.

Following that I triggered an additional library scan, updated people, guide, etc... just in case to clear or refresh things. Other than that, it was nothing to worry about or have to manually delete the library.db and have it rescan.

• Tur0k likes this

#4 PenkethBoy OFFLINE  

PenkethBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3410 posts
  • LocationWarrington,UK

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:03 PM

If you do a clean install (or delete your library.db file) you cant rollback - the db is very different and would not work with 3.5.3 - so keep a copy if you think you might want to - but i doubt you will need it.

Luke should be doing a full comprehensive set of notes for this new version as so much has changed (for the better) but there are something that are quite different and users need to understand how that affects them etc

• CBers likes this

#5 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16198 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:30 PM

Unless something has changed \metadata\people will not be used on a new\delete database upgrade.  This resource is only used in the migrartion.  Still awaiting more information on this.

#6 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3033 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

Just as a matter of interest, in the unlikely event I do a clean install, and I backup library.db, should I also keep library.db-wal and library.db-shm that are also in the same folder ? I presume they're useful for something...

#7 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16198 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Just as a matter of interest, in the unlikely event I do a clean install, and I backup library.db, should I also keep library.db-wal and library.db-shm that are also in the same folder ? I presume they're useful for something...

Those only appear when the database is open.  You only need the .db file.

• arrbee99 likes this

#8 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3033 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Hokey dokey. Thanks.

#9 arche OFFLINE  

arche

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 835 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 AM
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

I personally just made a copy of the Emby directory, ran a backup with the plugin and dove in on the upgrade. Didn't have any major issues, well nothing that made me think I was going to have to go back.

#10 KarlDag OFFLINE  

KarlDag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

Upgraded to the beta from stable about a month ago, just installed it right on top, things went perfectly.

Planning on doing the same thing once stable huts to go back to stable. Luke said it'd be fine.

#11 KarlDag OFFLINE  

KarlDag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

Double post sorry

Edited by KarlDag, 11 January 2019 - 09:12 PM.

#12 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2958 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 AM

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

If you are going to delete the library.db file I'd suggest setting up trakt for EACH USER and export their watched status.

Then later after the library rebuild to import the watched status for each user back in.

If you only care about watched status for one user, this can be saved to NFO files but only starts working from the point you turned on the option.

#13 kikinjo OFFLINE  

kikinjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 AM

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

I have only one doubt with upgrade to 4.0 stable. I have movies in "mix mode", what i mean that i have like 1000 movies in one folder and lets say 100 of movies in same folder but in sub folders. Why? well multi version movies are in sub folders each with 720p and 1080p versions. 3.5.0 had issues with this mixed mode so we will see if it will repeat. Didnt have time to test it on temp server yet...

#14 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2958 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

While that format is supported it's not a great way to layout your file system.

Any reason you can't have each movies in it's own folder?  There are utils that can do this easily and very quickly for you.

• Tur0k likes this

#15 kikinjo OFFLINE  

kikinjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

While that format is supported it's not a great way to layout your file system.

Any reason you can't have each movies in it's own folder?  There are utils that can do this easily and very quickly for you.

Fair question :) Time basically, all movies in one folder are just copied and it gets scanned ok, while for 2 version movies there is a need to rename every file to be scanned successfully, (add "-" and 720p or 1080p after the "-". If i put all movies in sub folder every single one i think they would not be scanned properly. (talking about 3.5.3 here, not beta....)

#16 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2958 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:44 AM

If you do put every movie in it's own folder it will work fine in any version of Emby.  If you look up in the Emby WIKI you would see this format listed.

Check out FileBot.  It can rename your media as well as create the folders automatically for you.  You just need to setup the parameters correctly.  It's very versatile.

It's gone "pay" format recently but if you google for version 4.7.9 you can still use it without payment.  However once you fall in love with it, get the registered version.

#17 kikinjo OFFLINE  

kikinjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:36 PM

There is a easier and faster route as i see it, no renaming needed. To already working identifier "-" for multi-version movies add another one "."  All files named with dots will work out

of the box in folder. On 3.5.3 placing it in folder 2 files lets say Moviename.2018.1080p.mkv and Moviename.2018.720p.mkv, emby only indexes and shows 720p version, in Emby Theatre that is..

#18 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:55 AM

All five (5) of the Emby servers that I look after for friends and family all successfully upgraded to Stable release v4.0.0.2.

Library scans are taking a bit longer than usual, but I guess that's to be expected first time around.

:)
  • Sammy and Maximus Naxsus like this

#19 notla49285 OFFLINE  

notla49285

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:57 AM

What about upgrading from 4.0.0.1 beta to 4.0.0.2 stable? Do I get the installer from the Emby site and perform a clean install? Or over the top? There are no update messages on my server.

#20 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2958 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

All five (5) of the Emby servers that I look after for friends and family all successfully upgraded to Stable release v4.0.0.2.

Library scans are taking a bit longer than usual, but I guess that's to be expected first time around.

:)

Same.  I've got a bunch I manage as well for people and all has gone well on the upgrades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users