Emby Theater - no sound

zsoltsuhajda

MBSki

Ok, thanks. While we wait for a different video player, can you at least split the audio and video transcodes? I can play 4k fine on Plex because the audio can transcode while the video direct plays. I can't do that in Emby, because the video starts transcoding. If you could split the transcodes I'd be able to play the video in 4k HDR quality.

We already do that when possible based on the capabilities of the player we're using, which as I mentioned are limited in some situations.

MBSki

We already do that when possible based on the capabilities of the player we're using, which as I mentioned are limited in some situations.

Ok, then there's a bug. The Spider-Man Far From Home example I provided earlier does NOT start a video transcode when using Plex. Only the audio is transcoded. Emby should be doing the same thing. Instead, Emby is starting a video transcode even though it shouldn't. So, it appears it isn't recognizing the fact that the video is in fact direct streamable. 

As an alternative, since the capability is already there, could you just expose the configuration to the user, so the user can select whether or not to force video to direct stream or force audio to direct play? So just add 2 options in the Playback menu on the Xbox One: Direct play - if checked it will force direct play of audio; and Direct stream - if checked it will force direct stream of video. With direct stream checked Emby won't even try to transcode the video.

What do you think? Could just those 2 user options be implemented?