No internet, no Emby TV on Apple TV

gene0915

gene0915

I found an old post regarding this: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51667-sign-in-without-internet-connectivity/ ..... does this limitation still exist with the Apple TV?

My internet went out for a few hours tonight so I decided to fire up the Emby app on my Apple TV and catch up on some shows but all I got though was a gray screen. I switched over to the -Plex- client on my Apple TV and had no problems watching via Plex. (I run Emby and Plex on the same server.)

Log file attached (but if this is known issue with Emby on the Apple TV, I guess the log file doesn't matter? :)

If this -IS- a limitation, what magic is Plex doing that allows it to work?

Happened around 7:55pm eastern.

Log.txt

We went the TVML route with app that uses a combination of the installed app along with hosted assets. So yes that currently means it requires an internet connection. It's something we can look to improve in a future update to the app. Thanks !

• 8 months later...
gene0915

We went the TVML route with app that uses a combination of the installed app along with hosted assets. So yes that currently means it requires an internet connection. It's something we can look to improve in a future update to the app. Thanks !

Was just wondering if there was any update on this issue? Like maybe have the app default to some "basic" view if no internet connection is detected? (Just use what the server is providing.)

• 1 year later...
gene0915
On 9/11/2019 at 1:01 PM, Luke said:

Not yet, sorry, but it will be coming. Thanks.

This year, I'll be ditching the Apple TVs and switching to Roku. Will this same problem be an issue on that platform? If so, any updates on when it will be addressed?

Thanks

1 hour ago, gene0915 said:

This year, I'll be ditching the Apple TVs and switching to Roku. Will this same problem be an issue on that platform? If so, any updates on when it will be addressed?

Thanks

Not from our app standpoint but I'm not sure how well a Roku functions without internet.

BTW - this is not an issue in the Apple TV app either anymore.  This was corrected a while ago.

2 hours ago, gene0915 said:

Thanks

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Not from our app standpoint but I'm not sure how well a Roku functions without internet.

The Roku works without internet with Emby. But it will process the initial beacons which must time out. It might appear hung on the Emby logo when launching for 60 seconds until the Roku notices it cannot get internet. Once it does notice the Roku will pop up a dialog "No internet detected! This application may require internet access" and you are offered two choices: Proceed Anyways or Cancel. If you Cancel and start Emby again it will ask via the dialog again if there is still no internet. Once internet does work the Roku will notice and the beacons inside the application will start to fire again. These beacons are the metrics Roku uses to determine an applications health and user participation. These metrics are 100% anonymous and are sent by Roku firmware and applications must use them or will not be published on the Roku store.

You will notice when your Roku device has no internet and cannot contact the Roku store or send beacons correctly. The little white light on the Roku device will blink repeatedly non stop. This is your clue.

I know ebr knows all this. Just explaining for others that find this.

Edited by speechles

vdatanet
10 hours ago, speechles said:

The Roku works without internet with Emby. But it will process the initial beacons which must time out. It might appear hung on the Emby logo when launching for 60 seconds until the Roku notices it cannot get internet. Once it does notice the Roku will pop up a dialog "No internet detected! This application may require internet access" and you are offered two choices: Proceed Anyways or Cancel. If you Cancel and start Emby again it will ask via the dialog again if there is still no internet. Once internet does work the Roku will notice and the beacons inside the application will start to fire again. These beacons are the metrics Roku uses to determine an applications health and user participation. These metrics are 100% anonymous and are sent by Roku firmware and applications must use them or will not be published on the Roku store.

You will notice when your Roku device has no internet and cannot contact the Roku store or send beacons correctly. The little white light on the Roku device will blink repeatedly non stop. This is your clue.

I know ebr knows all this. Just explaining for others that find this.

The same happens with the application for Apple TV, if there is no Internet connection it works, but it takes a while to start, about 30 seconds more. I do not know if this can be improved, impatient users may think that the application does not work, although if we wait a bit, the application really works perfectly.

Edited by vdatanet