Possible solution to ISO support challenges in MB3

e.Blue

e.Blue

I recently had a discussion with one of the MB3 developers regarding the challenges of supporting playback of .ISO images. I was just thinking of a possible solution that would allow us that prefer the .ISO format to be able to have access to the format in our home theaters while still being able to stream those movies that have problematic.ISO playback.

Basically, it involves allowing us to place a second re-encoded (MKV,MP4,AVI, etc) version of the movie in the same folder as the .ISO. We could then label these files with a [stream] prefix. eg. "[stream]Talented Mr. Ripley (199).MKV". Whenever the MB3 indexer encountered one of these [stream] files, it would simply be ignored. However, when a streaming client encountered one, it would play the [stream] file instead of the .ISO file. The clients could then have an optional setting to prefer or ignore the [stream] version of the movies.

This way we would only have to create re-encoded stream-able versions for the ISOs that don't don't like to be streamed. We would then still have access to the full ISO experience in the home theater while having an alternative solution for problematic ISOs.

Hoping that someone see this!

-e.B

Yes it does. You can find instructions on how to do that in the library wiki and also in the blog post about the previous server release.

e.Blue

Wow! Just found the blog posting. This looks very promising.

I'm not at all surprised that you guys beat me to it!  :)

-e.B