Emby for Kodi not auto updating libraries after server update 4.0.0.0

rapteev

marcmv1

I was functional after upgrading however I don't like errors in my logs if they're easily fixable and I don't like nom existent files in my configuration. Plus I could get updates but when I deleted a watched show it wasn't being removed from the list. I'm hoping this fixes that issue too

• Like 1

VaporTrail

Do you guys recall how long db migration took from RC4 to RC5? So far it's been an hour on the "migration in progress" screen...

marcmv1

rc5-2 just got released by Kodi. When I upgraded I got a message stating that the DB is incompatible. I had to manually edit the .json file I said above and change the DB version to 116

{
        "video": "special://database/MyVideos116.db",
        "music": "special://database/MyMusic72.db",
        "texture": "special://database/Textures13.db",
        "emby": "special://database/emby.db",
  • Like 1

If 3.1.42a was built for RC5, wouldn't upgrading to RC5 fix the issue like it did for @@djhifi (albeit with an empty 114) w/o modifying core files? 

Actually I have 3 Nvidia Shields. Latest Kodi nightly just places version 116 on the database. I have that Kodi machine (which places "myvideos116") stuck on "migrating database please wait" message from KODI.

This seems a rough time to be testing nightlies :D

• Like 1

I haven't touched any database files on my Firestick yet. Simply waiting for a newer version than 3.1.39a through auto-update. So far nothing, so no restored sync yet.

Current version is already 3.1.42a

Do you guys recall how long db migration took from RC4 to RC5? So far it's been an hour on the "migration in progress" screen...

Under a minute.

I have 1 Kodi machine (which places "myvideos116") stuck on "migrating database please wait" message from KODI too. Which nightly you're on?

Mine is: kodi-20190112-3cbd6c1e-master-arm64-v8a.apk

I've deleted all .db files on that KODI machine via SMB and start up KODI to see what happens.

Edited by djhifi

VaporTrail

Thanks @@marcmv1, I'll install the latest rc5-2, though looks like they're still working on the issue: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=339268

@@djhifi I'm on RC5 on the 4K Firestick. That's what's stuck on "migrating database please wait". Also just upgraded to RC5 + latest Emby for Kodi 3.1.42a on PC which had zero issues. The Emby/Kodi databases sync without issue.

Restarted the Firestick and now Kodi hangs on welcome screen. Guess I'll have to attempt @@marcmv1's fix.  :P

Thanks @@marcmv1, I'll install the latest rc5-2, though looks like they're still working on the issue: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=339268

@@djhifi I'm on RC5 on the 4K Firestick. That's what's stuck on "migrating database please wait". Also just upgraded to RC5 + latest Emby for Kodi 3.1.42a on PC which had zero issues. The Emby/Kodi databases sync without issue.

Restarted the Firestick and now Kodi hangs on welcome screen. Guess I'll have to attempt @@marcmv1's fix.  :P

Message saying db is incompatible and migration screen freezing are 2 diferent issues. I also had the "db incompatible" but if you check for addon updates there is version 3.1.42a which fixes said issue. You don't need to manually edit the json. Migration screen is another issue because addon version .42a is still not using v116 of KODI database. Im going to fire up KODI now after having deleted all versions and see what happens. Will edit this post ASAP.

PS: What's the new setting in Emby for KODI "enable database discovery" ? I have mine turned off default.

Edited by djhifi

Angelblue05

PS: What's the new setting in Emby for KODI "enable database discovery" ? I have mine turned off default.

To force emby for kodi to redetect the database it uses. In your log, it should show what database it's detecting, vs what it's using.

• Like 1

marcmv1

To force emby for kodi to redetect the database it uses. In your log, it should show what database it's detecting, vs what it's using.

So if I turn this on I won't have to manually edit the .json file? That's great! Thanks for the fix

Interesting. The scan is still in progress. I'm using .42 version of the addon and I was also having the prompt of "db incompatible, proceed anyway?" so I've just quit KODI, updated it to RC5-2 and then I got stuck on "database migration in progress please wait". I quit KODI again, removed all .db files via SMB, KODI starts again, got the prompt again ("db incompatible, proceed anyway?) I've chosen "yes" and now seems to be syncing. Probably won't auto-sync after the initial sync?

Should I turn on "database discovery and reset database again" to avoid that "db incompatible popup"? 

version .42 seems to be using myvideos116 because I'm monitoring one of the ongoing scans and that said file is building up in size. Correct?

@@VaporTrail the above also answers your question about the endless "database migration" just delete all .db files, half of the hassle is solved at least.

Edited by djhifi
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

The db incompatible is only because the db version isn't hardcoded in the obj_map.json (since Kodi likes to update db in RC right now...)

It doesn't mean it's using the incorrect db, I'll try to clarify this. But it should only pop up if the database version isn't hardcoded and only once. If the database discovery finds a different, newer database, it will reprompt you. 

This warning is to let you know that in the event you don't see updates, you know where to start looking. Ensure it's writing to the right database version, I'll try to include that info in the dialog so you don't have to check the logs.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

The db incompatible is only because the db version isn't hardcoded in the obj_map.json (since Kodi likes to update db in RC right now...)

It doesn't mean it's using the incorrect db, I'll try to clarify this. But it should only pop up if the database version isn't hardcoded and only once. If the database discovery finds a different, newer database, it will reprompt you. 

This warning is to let you know that in the event you don't see updates, you know where to start looking. Ensure it's writing to the right database version, I'll try to include that info in the dialog so you don't have to check the logs.

So basically after deleting all the db's making a fresh scan and turning that on, I can update to diferente versions of KODI as long as I have that option turned on that it will write to the newer .db is that how the behavior is supposed to be?

Because:

Example: Ive just updated Leia to RC5-2 and opened by existing kodi .db. I had the " database discovery" turned off. I turned it on and restarted KODI. I now only have 10 movies, which are the latest updates, so it seems I need to renuke database after turning that option to "on". Correct?

Edited by djhifi

marcmv1

So basically after deleting all the db's making a fresh scan and turning that on, I can update to diferente versions of KODI as long as I have that option turned on that it will write to the newer .db is that how the behavior is supposed to be?

Because:

Example: Ive just updated Leia to RC5-2 and opened by existing kodi .db. I had the " database discovery" turned off. I turned it on and restarted KODI. I now only have 10 movies, which are the latest updates, so it seems I need to renuke database after turning that option to "on". Correct?

In order for me to get updates and delete episodes I simply had to make sure the .json had the right filename then repair libraries. I never had to delete anything or reset the kodi database

VaporTrail

@@djhifi, since moving to RC5 + latest Emby for Kodi, syncing works without a hitch on Windows PC. Am considering using Kodi Backup addon to restore on my android client.

Seems straight-forward to start fresh on the Firestick rather than fiddle.

Angelblue05

Do not worry about the setting as the database detection is automatic. The option is only to force it to re-detect.

When Kodi does a database migration, it's moving content from database to database. You said you stopped it and deleted old dbs... You'll need to do a reset your local database because of this.

• Like 2

VaporTrail

When Kodi does a database migration, it's moving content from database to database. You said you stopped it and deleted old dbs... You'll need to do a reset your local database because of this.

Kodi freezes on the welcome screen now after stopping the migration after an hour (supposedly supposed to be around 1 minute). There's nothing wrong with a fresh Kodi install and restoring from PC backup, is there?

That's why I'm keeping a PC version up-to-date. For days like today.

VaporTrail

Can you post your Kodi log?

You should be able to restore, yes.

Great, I will start fresh if you don't suggest a faster, simpler alternative.  ;)

kodi.log

Angelblue05

Seems to be the cause of the freeze maybe?

17:15:41.294 T:18446744071717255456   ERROR: SQL: [MyVideos115.db] SQL error or missing database
                                            Query: SELECT idVersion FROM version
  • Like 1

VaporTrail

Indeed. I just don't know what to do about it other than starting with a fresh install. I don't fully understand @@marcmv1's instructions as there's been a lot of back-and-forth.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Start fresh, but use a faster device to make the sync and restore the backup* Sync larger libraries later.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

VaporTrail

Start fresh, but use a faster device to make the sync and restore the backup* Sync larger libraries later.

Got it up and running on the Firestick, having tested library sync is working. Everything is up to date, so no rollbacks needed.  :)

• Like 1