I guess this is a feature request? (Media Scanning)

thelanranger

So, I've pretty much moved from plex at this point except for one thing...

Emby is really just...not good at picking up shows on its own. It needs so much hand-holding to get the show to show up as the correct thing and it seems like Plex just does it magically almost all the time. I think I have a simple solution to smoothing this process out a little.

When your scanner scans files, could you make it parse a space (0x20,0x255), a period (0x65), or an underscore (0x95) as all the same kind of delimiter? I think this is fundamentally what is separating the two things from finding things properly.

It seems like if you take a file named something like silicon.valley.s05e01.720p.web.h264-tbs.mkv and put it in a folder with another random file it will pickup nothing. If you rename that files to "Silicon Valley S0501 720p.mkv" it will get it, but I'm honestly not doing that with literally thousands of episodes of TV.

if you were to put that same file inside a folder just called Silicon Valley, it would get it. So, actually...come to think of it, as I'm typing...maybe the parsing of the file isn't even the issue because if it can read it when it's inside a folder of the same name then it must be using those delimiters. I dunno. 

Nonetheless....it seems like there's something going on here, either a bug or a feature, that needs to be looked at. Just take like 10 TV shows and throw them all in one folder and let it scan them as a library and it will give you nothing. Break them into their own folders and it will at least give you a folder with a blank page. I should be able to see the individual files if I put 100 single episodes into 1 folder and those episodes are not contiguous. 

More of a adjustment to your file structure rather than a feature request :)

TV does need to have a structure to the directories and if you follow the conventions in the WIKI you will have minimal problems.

e.g. \Silicon Valley\season 1\silicon valley s01e01.mkv (there are several supported naming formats for episodes)

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

I would keep each TV Show in a separate directory with associated season folders

Plex is more forgiving in this respect - Luke has plans to change this at some point

You may not want to change how you have your files organised but its worth the effort or you will have these sorts of problems going forward - and you only need to do it once!

• Like 1

Correct, it is not the file parsing that is the issue.  One requirement we currently have is that TV Series be inside of a Series folder.  This really makes your file organization work much better and allows us some performance advantages, but we do plan to support the structure you are trying to use in the future.

Handle TV shows and Movies in a single folder