NextPVR and the future

arrbee99

arrbee99

Am just wondering if NextPVR is going to continue being available in the future. Something was mentioned in their forum about your api thing not working with the next v5 version of NPVR, see the end of this thread  https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?60898-4-2-3-available-(11th-November)&p=529754#post529754 Any thoughts ?

Edited by arrbee99

I wouldn't worry - 4.x is going to continue live (and be updated) for a quite a while alongside 5.x, so you'll have ages before someone needs to update the Emby NextPVR plugin to use the main api.

I'm also available and happy to answer questions on that api for anyone that decides to tackle the update. 

Edited by sub3
  • Like 2

I wouldn't worry - 4.x is going to continue live (and be updated) for a quite a while alongside 5.x, so you'll have ages before someone needs to update the Emby NextPVR plugin to use the main api.

I'm also available and happy to answer questions on that api for anyone that decides to tackle the update. 

Do you have any info you can share on what's new in V5?  Got any links?

pünktchen

A documentation about the main api would be nice. The Kodi addon isn't one!

Do you have any info you can share on what's new in V5?  Got any links?

It's still a work in progress, but I've posted a few bits of info about it at the NextPVR forums. The most significant change is that it's multi-platform. 

A documentation about the main api would be nice. The Kodi addon isn't one!

The NextPVR project is a hobby for me, and I don't like writing documentation, so no it's not really documented. It is a pretty straight forward api though, and I'm happy to answer anyone's questions. 

For example, the bulk of the things Emby needs to do to interact with NextPVR would be:

Schedule a one off recording from show in guide

Schedule a recurring recording from show in guide
http://127.0.0.1:8866/services/service?method=recording.recurring.save&event_id=8327&format=json (several extra optional parameters to this one, which I can list if Emby want them)

• Like 1

Is version 5 going to still do the weird thing where it imports the same show already in the guide with a different ID?

NPVR is amazing software and I run it alongside Emby as my stable primary recording engine and will continue to do so at least as a backup in the future, so it is very important to me for Emby to stay up to date with NPVR. If I had the knowledge, I would help.

• Like 1

Is version 5 going to still do the weird thing where it imports the same show already in the guide with a different ID?

What's weird about it? It reloads the TV guide whenever it's time to update EPG. It's working as-designed, and works great in NextPVR. Just schedule Emby to update it's EPG soon after NextPVR does. ie, if NextPVR updates at 2:00am, schedule Emby to update at 2:30am. 

Well the drawback is that it essentially forces all api consumers to stay in sync immediately following a next pvr refresh.

That's price you pay trying to integrate with other applications - sometimes you need to fit into the way they work. Not having to worry about existing EPG data allows NextPVR to perform a much cleaner quicker EPG update.

If you wanted Emby to support a more precise notification of when it needed to reload it's EPG from NextPVR, there is a PostUpdateEPG.bat that is called at the end of the EPG update process, users could put something in to call a url or something, to trigger Emby to do its thing. (or if there is some command line thing they can run)

Edited by sub3

If you wanted Emby to support a more precise notification of when it needed to reload it's EPG from NextPVR, there is a PostUpdateEPG.bat that is called at the end of the EPG update process, users could put something in to call a url or something, to trigger Emby to do its thing. (or if there is some command line thing they can run)

In fact, I'm happy to build-in some custom logic to check if Emby is installed on the machine, and run something, or call something, to trigger an EPG reload whenever it's needed (so the users don't have to create a PostUpdateEPG.bat themselves). You'd have to let me know what exactly it needs to do though. 

Edited by sub3

SHSPVR

@@sub3 wouldn't it be eazyer to just make NextPVR background server recorder doing a way with NextPVR EPG and let Emby do all the scheduling and just sent command to NextPVR background recorder when to start and stop the recording and the same with live

@@sub3 wouldn't it be eazyer to just make NextPVR background server recorder doing a way with NextPVR EPG and let Emby do all the scheduling and just sent command to NextPVR background recorder when to start and stop the recording and the same with live

That wouldn't make any sense - it'd mean NextPVR would only function when it also has Emby.

SHSPVR

That wouldn't make any sense - it'd mean NextPVR would only function when it also has Emby.

Unless a check box was add in order to switch between mode ?.

As of right now your best option when come to Hauppauge tuner and capture device even know that Emby has add a Plugin using the Hauppauge WinTV SDK API which it doesn't work well in Emby in fact it more headache after few hours then anything and only real option would be to just get HDHomeRun device but I person don't have one and I always preferred internal device in same box, so I don't how well they really works or if can push as hard as Hauppauge Tuner like with your app and other like SageTV for hours on end + all channel changes like every 30 min plus switching to new channel every 30 min for 24 hours straight non stop recording with 8+ more tuners even beating out WinTV :D perhaps that simple app like TScapture it just a thought.

That's price you pay trying to integrate with other applications - sometimes you need to fit into the way they work. Not having to worry about existing EPG data allows NextPVR to perform a much cleaner quicker EPG update.

Yup, i get it, that's fine.

What's weird about it? It reloads the TV guide whenever it's time to update EPG. It's working as-designed, and works great in NextPVR. Just schedule Emby to update it's EPG soon after NextPVR does. ie, if NextPVR updates at 2:00am, schedule Emby to update at 2:30am. 

I record around the clock so this method kills my system for a solid 1/2 hour to hour each morning that I can't record.  I'm sure I'm an exception but just not fond of not being able to schedule something and know it will work 24 hours per day.

Is it possible for Emby to send a channel and time span to record?  I'd really like to use NextPVR as the recording engine due to it's multi-rec functionality but if I can't reliably record 24/7 it's not a consideration.

I record around the clock so this method kills my system for a solid 1/2 hour to hour each morning that I can't record.  I'm sure I'm an exception but just not fond of not being able to schedule something and know it will work 24 hours per day.

Is it possible for Emby to send a channel and time span to record?  I'd really like to use NextPVR as the recording engine due to it's multi-rec functionality but if I can't reliably record 24/7 it's not a consideration.

Ultimately, whether NextPVR is updating the guide, or reloading it, there is always going to be a time, no matter how short, when Emby doesn't have the most up to date details. As I said above, I'm happy add in some hooks to tell Emby when it's time to reload. (i'm sure you're not sitting there scheduling stuff at 3am, even if it's recording 24 hours a day, so it's not going to inconvenience you in any practical way)

Regarding, the ability to just use NextPVR as a dumb device interface - sure, Emby can just live tv streams, and send those to files and start/stop whenever they want. It wont have enough visibility or understanding of the tuning of whatever device is used, to determine head of time if it's possible to do a recording though (with complicated stuff happening with multi-record, and multi-standard devices which can't be used simultaneously etc). (so scheduling becomes a bit of a guess, and you just have to rely on something either succeeding or failing at recording time)

Edited by sub3

Got ya sub3.

Just for clarification I'm not concerned with some down time or blackout window for scheduling things.  While I do tend to schedule things all around the clock (weird schedule I have) I could certainly live with not doing any scheduling for an hour period.  What I worry about and have had problems with is stuff not recording properly that were already scheduled.  Emby will have 1 ID for the movie/show in it's DB but NextPVR has already updated that ID to something else and the recording never kicks off. A few minutes later Emby would have been updated because it's schedule would have run.  This is with about a 10 minute window from NextPVR finishing EPG updates to Emby starting (on average) them to leave a bit of cushion space which I've found is needed.  That's what I've seen before.

Anything that either of you could do to minimize this would be great.

I guess the architect/programmer in me just doesn't understand why you're essentially doing a complete remove/reload of data vs just updating/adding new records to the guide which wouldn't cause this problem.

No what I'm saying is I can set something to record on channel 100 at 2am, 110 at 2:30, 848 at 3am.

I don't know if this would affect things or not but I have probably 200+ series setup that record around the clock as well.

Plus typically at least one TV watching live TV 24/7 in the house.  

Kind of screwy but everyone in the house has revolving work schedules so there is no "night time" or down time in my environment.  I pretty much have at least two tuners in use 24/7 up to around 10 during prime time.

I can certainly try it again and maybe I was to focused on this issue and testing it when I knew it was likely to not work.

Ideally, I'd love to use Emby completely for all Guide and scheduling and use NextPVR as the engine.  That was I'd get the benefit of all the Emby integrations including Gracenote data.  I got close using NextPVR with Emby using it as an IPTV source feeding it an M3U file but this didn't seem reliable and would leave tuners open in NextPVR. That's documented in this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63665-nextpvr-dumb-tuner/page-1

pünktchen

The problem with different program id's only exists right at the time of creation of one time schedules. It has no affect to series schedules.

@@sub3

If you want to create a trigger for Emby's guide refresh you have to create a get request:

http://localhost:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks?IsHidden=false&api_key=PERSONAL API KEY CREATED IN EMBY

This returns a json response like this:

[
  {
    "Name": "Refresh Guide",
    "State": "Idle",
    "Id": "9492d30c70f7f1bec3757c9d0a4feb45",
    "Triggers": [],
    "Description": "Downloads channel information from live tv services.",
    "Category": "Live TV",
    "IsHidden": false,
    "Key": "RefreshGuide"
  }
]

You have to search for "Refresh Guide" and with its "Id" create a post request:

http://localhost:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/ID OF THE REFRESH GUIDE TASK?api_key=PERSONAL API KEY CREATED IN EMBY
Edited by pünktchen

The problem with different program id's only exists right at the time of creation of one time schedules. It has no affect to series schedules.

That's the way I tested by doing one time schedules.  I figured all the series would have to be setup from scratch so I wasn't going to do that while testing.

Curious how this would work. Maybe you could answer this.

Let's say I've got a series setup in Emby that records MASH episodes.  Lets also assume these are airing at 2am, 2:30am and 3am on Channel 100.

Now I have NextPVR setup to update the schedule at 2am.  It uses 5 EPG sources and finishes at 2:20.

I leave a 10 minute window and have Emby setup to pull this at 2:30am

Emby finishes at 2:45.

Are all 3 of those going to get recorded properly?  The IDs will be changing during those times, hence the question.

Thanks for the insight on this!

Edited by cayars