Nvidia Shield w/ Samsung TV (2016 model) and HDR = too dark?

jblaze12

jblaze12

Synology 1618+ on Emby 3.6.0.84-1-beta

TV is mid-level 2016 Samsung (sorry don't have the model # on hand)

Nvidia Shield (latest updates etc)

So far all non-4k-hdr bluray rips I've created work very well. I have the hdmi 1 set to accept uhd color, the shield set to auto passthrough (I believe) the correct settings and in emby auto everything, plus the tv picture settings set to the uhd (but turned off the "hdr mode" which I read was just like an emulation of the hdr, it appears more washed out with it enabled).

I think I read my tv doesn't do the 2020 color space and the result is a darker image. I try and lower contrast and increase brightness but it appears a bit washed out. 

I have a feeling purchasing a new tv that is fully hdr ready will solve this issue instantly but that is about a year away. I am collecting 4k movies now not even so much for the bumped resolution but the beautifully-rich color enhancements (for some not all transfers). Is there anything to be done in emby or the shield to help mitigate this issue until I can buy a new tv?

I don't have many 4k hdr movies and don't plan on collecting a ton (just a select few I rewatch, dark knight, infinity war etc) but it'd be nice to enjoy them right now instead of the (still good) blu-ray rips I've already done.

Balthazar2k4

I would suspect that these titles play darker even through a UHD disc player.  Generally HDR is a darker image and how dark is more dependent on the light output capability of the display itself.  I am running quite possibly the brightest HDR10 capable set from 2015 and even at >1000nits capability it can seem a tad dark at times.  It really depends on the HDR grading and the settings you use on the TV.  It is also important to note that we are so use to the SDR image we have been watching all our lives that we don't comprehend how poor the color grading and brightness were to the expected true values intended.  My point to all of this is that I have been watching HDR content via the Emby app on my Shield and have found the output to match my Sony X800 BD player in terms of brightness and contrast.

Edited by Balthazar2k4