Android app not working with live TV

cmacfarlane93

cmacfarlane93

Currently I have emby configured with live tv and it works across all devices and platforms except on android mobile. Interestingly enough it works on an android device using the chrome web app, not the android mobile app however.

What happens is the guide is delayed considerably and does not scroll properly. Also none of the channels have working icons.

Hi, so you're saying it plays but you're having trouble with the guide? What device and version of android?

cmacfarlane93

I am using a samsung note 9 and to date im using android oreo. But I should elaborate, my problems are not limited to the guide, those are just the obvious issues. I cannot actually view the live content on the mobile app, it just shows the loading circles spinning constantly. 

It may also be worth noting that the live tv was working on the mobile app before I mapped a bunch of channels with the xml link. After doing that these problems arise but only on android mobile app, not across any other device of platform I have tested. I unfortunately do not have another android phone to test this with.

Edited by cmacfarlane93

cmacfarlane93

Update: I tried logging out of the server then logging back in on said device and its now working correctly.

• 2 years later...
scotthews

I'm getting the same problem on my Galaxy Note S20.  I can watch live TV from all devices except the Samsung through the App.  As above it works on the Samsung using Chrome.  I did as above suggestion and logged out and back in again, but no change.  I've also noticed that when I try to connect to a TV channel via the App, even if I kill the App on my phone, my HD Homerun tuner is now locked, so two attempts with a dual tuner locks the tuner and I have to power cycle the tuner or restart the Emby server.  

On 1/26/2021 at 4:38 AM, scotthews said:

I'm getting the same problem on my Galaxy Note S20.  I can watch live TV from all devices except the Samsung through the App.  As above it works on the Samsung using Chrome.  I did as above suggestion and logged out and back in again, but no change.  I've also noticed that when I try to connect to a TV channel via the App, even if I kill the App on my phone, my HD Homerun tuner is now locked, so two attempts with a dual tuner locks the tuner and I have to power cycle the tuner or restart the Emby server.  

Hi there, can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

scotthews

HI Luke, Thanks for the reply.  I have attempted the same thing again this morning (@07:05am) and have attached the respective log.  Basically I start the Android App and select live TV and choose a channel.  The App display the rotates to landscape and with the guide in the background just shows the wait cursor spinning in the centre.  It remains like that endlessly.  I can navigate away from the guide, so to settings etc, but the App is now locked in landscape and the only way to get out of that is to kill the App.  The Emby server clearly locks the HD HomeRun tuner as the tuner status shows that it's locked to that channel.  The only way to free that up is to restart the Emby server to release it.  Hopefully this will shed some light on this.  Cheers Scott

embyserver.txt

stuartsharp
On 29/01/2021 at 07:13, scotthews said:

HI Luke, Thanks for the reply.  I have attempted the same thing again this morning (@07:05am) and have attached the respective log.  Basically I start the Android App and select live TV and choose a channel.  The App display the rotates to landscape and with the guide in the background just shows the wait cursor spinning in the centre.  It remains like that endlessly.  I can navigate away from the guide, so to settings etc, but the App is now locked in landscape and the only way to get out of that is to kill the App.  The Emby server clearly locks the HD HomeRun tuner as the tuner status shows that it's locked to that channel.  The only way to free that up is to restart the Emby server to release it.  Hopefully this will shed some light on this.  Cheers Scott

embyserver.txt 117.94 kB · 0 downloads

Hi Scot,

I'm guessing you're based in the UK like me. I have reported a similar issue in the post below. I think it's the media itself that's causing the problem rather than the fact that it's streamed live - recordings won't play either. It's only been an issue in Android since the playback engine was updated, but it's been an issue in desktop versions of Chrome-based web browsers for a long time. Hopefully a fix is coming soon!

scotthews
On 01/02/2021 at 23:24, Luke said:

Ok please try again with the next app update as there will be some fixes for mpegts video. Thanks.

HI Luke,  When is the next Android App likely to be released do you think?