Collections again...

levander

levander

Hi,

One of the main reasons I switched from Plex and stayed with Emby is Collections feature. I like having Collections, and especially I like having collections AND tags separately (unlike in Plex where I had to go with collections as tags). I maintain tags in my libraries since I started using emby and I try to get the most of it so I am really looking forward to see any tiny step forward on more tags development (I appreciate bringing better tags filtering in latest betas!).

But I have problem with Collections and would like to find solution for it. Let me explain. I totally gave up on making Collections since I lost ALL custom made collections (hundreds) after major relocations of my media files. I wasn't aware that it would affect collections (in Plex collections were never affected by relocating media). What actually happened is that all collections were still there but EMPTY. And that was what especially discouraged me - not even "dead links" to movies. I happen to move around my media files for various reasons and that it something I need to be able to do without fear that it affects something in emby collections. Q: Is there something I can do about it right now or is there hope that it will soon be solved?

Just an idea, not necessarily solution: Is there possibility maybe to use tags for making collections the same or similar way we use to block items with tags in Parental Controls?

P.S.

Also, I really, really like making collections with people, I think it was really big. Not only I did find it very useful but it was "safe" because it wasn't affected by relocating media. Anyway, please, consider bringing it back or reintroduce it somehow.

• Like 1

You can always edit the collection XML file after moving the files, then run a scan after that.

If you use the metadata editor for a collection it will show you the path to where the collection.xml file is stored. you could edit that by hand to fix up the file paths, then run a library scan.

kanipek

Can you explain little bit more please?

Use something like notepad++

Open the collection.xml(s) to be edited - this might take a little bit depending on how many you are opening at once

Do a find/replace (old path with new path) either replace or replace all

Make a copy before you edit, just in case.

Save all when done.

Run a library scan

Done

Alternatively you can also set up notepad++ to search within files and replace without opening - I have had mixed results doing it this way so beware.

levander

You mean I can manually edit every path of every movie I move to another location? Well I am aware of that but that would be more complicated than manually edit paths and metadata for new and changed items instead doing library scan. I would first have to check is a movie I relocated in any of the collections. That part alone would be complicated. It’s not even relocating issue, lots of times I’m just renaming the folders or changing the folder -subfolder structures. If at least there could be “dead links” of old paths present... Is there any other way you think that could be done automatically in emby?

Well imagine this was a music playlist on your hard drive. the playlist contains paths to the media. if you move the media around, the paths in the playlist aren't going to be valid anymore, right?

• Like 1

levander

You gave me same example already when we had similar discussion where I suggested that the collections items could be identified with db ID and not paths. I still think that items that are already in emby database shouldn’t depend on paths as in some playlists because there is database! So I don’t think playlist is good example. If after after library scan media files which were renamed or relocated are still in the database I don’t see a reason Collections (or Playlists) don’t count. Collections should be part of emby database.

I don’t know what actually happens in emby database when I relocate/rename files and then rescan the library but I guess emby doesnt delete all metadata that is not on same path and recreates new ones. I say I guess because I notice that time for rescanning libraries when I change location or rename the folders is way shorter than when same number of new items are added.

Happy2Play

You gave me same example already when we had similar discussion where I suggested that the collections items could be identified with db ID and not paths. I still think that items that are already in emby database shouldn’t depend on paths as in some playlists because there is database! So I don’t think playlist is good example. If after after library scan media files which were renamed or relocated are still in the database I don’t see a reason Collections (or Playlists) don’t count. Collections should be part of emby database.

I don’t know what actually happens in emby database when I relocate/rename files and then rescan the library but I guess emby doesnt delete all metadata that is not on same path and recreates new ones. I say I guess because I notice that time for rescanning libraries when I change location or rename the folders is way shorter than when same number of new items are added.

I guess the question here would be does the media have metadata with media.  The log should clearly show the deleting obsoleted old ID and re-adding media with new ID..

Edited by Happy2Play

Because when you move a file the server does not know that it's the same file that was in the previous location. It just sees file removed and file added as two separate events.

levander

For instance I have Collection named Comedy that contains 200 movies which are scattered on hard drives in 10 different folders. At some point I decide to create two new subfolders in folder named Asian Cinema: Japan and Hong Kong. Some of the movies from Asian Cinema were part of Comedy collection, some of them are part of Martial Arts Collection and some are part of Wuxia collection (which is part of Martial Arts collection). Still some of the movies which are in Comedy collection stayed in Asian Cinema folder. So if I would have to change paths manually I would have to first check, one by one, which movie from newly created folders are part of which collections and then manually change it. While I’m at this change I figure out it would be better to name folders [HK] instead Hong Kong Cinema and [JP] instead of Japan... you see where this is getting? I click rescan libraries and there is no problem. But Collections are lost. I’m just curious am I really the only one with this issue...

levander

I guess the question here would be does the media have metadata with media. The log should clearly show the deleting obsoleted old ID and re-adding media with new ID..

I keep nfo files with every media files in every folder. Was that the question?

Edited by levander

The list of movies that belong to a collection are stored with the collection. That's why the association is lost when you move a video file.

Happy2Play

I keep nfo files with every media files in every folder. Was that the question?

Well you reference times are shorter for relocation than new items.  The relocated items already have metadata, new items don't.

All lists of items are affected by relocation changes.  And there is no easy way to regenerate a custom collection.  

levander

The list of movies that belong to a collection are stored with the collection. That's why the association is lost when you move a video file.

I know that and that’s the problem. Happy2Play now reminded me why ID wouldn’t be much better solution than path. But still I hope there is some solution to this... I just wanted to give you an example why custom collections doesn’t work for me at this point and I really miss it. It’s just desperate situation.

levander

Well you reference times are shorter for relocation than new items.  The relocated items already have metadata, new items don't.

All lists of items are affected by relocation changes.  And there is no easy way to regenerate a custom collection.

You are talking about metadata in emby database right? If movie metadata in emby database pull data from the internet or from existing nfo file and then give that entry in database an ID then there is no way that entry can have an info about collections right? But what about collection info in nfo? I know it is not used by emby but why? That could save the day

Happy2Play

There will always be a issue with list items when the media is not static.  It is a matter of finding a better way to track these items as there is no one fix.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

You are talking about metadata in emby database right? If movie metadata in emby database pull data from the internet or from existing nfo file and then give that entry in database an ID then there is no way that entry can have an info about collections right? But what about collection info in nfo? I know it is not used by emby but why? That could save the day

The collection.xml it just a list of items you have in a collect, same a playlist file (the location of the media in this list).  Once you break the chain you have to fix it.  Easiest way as the Collection exist in ui is re-adding your moved items to update the existing collection.xml.  There is no one solution for moving media and media by location lists.

So the only way around this may be using tmdbid and/or imdbid in collection.xml, but what do you do for a item with no id?  Users just need to be aware if you are going to move your media you need to know there is maintenance that needs to be done also.

Edited by Happy2Play

levander

So the only way around this may be using tmdbid and/or imdbid in collection.xml, but what do you do for a item with no id?  

Make up one? Better than this.

Anyway, I was also "inspired" by that playlists and collections in Plex didn't get lost after path changes so there is obviously a way.

levander

​Ok. I am sorry that there is no solution to this issue but probably it is not even worth it. What I'm really looking forward to is some better and more effective way to group my media. The way genres and filters are improving is interesting... And @@Luke once mentioned something about introducing "virtual libraries"(?) in the future but I can't find that post anymore... Can someone confirm/correct me?

Chyron

It occurs to me that a file's hash/checksum (which is unique to that file) can be used to identify it, so that if it is moved Emby can compare the hash from the old location to the file in the new location. Or maybe the hash could be stored in the file's related .xml and Emby could read it there.

And then a collection could store the relevant hashes instead of relying solely on file locations. That way the collection would only lose track of the file if the file is moved and then modified, thereby changing its hash.

Edited by chyron8472

levander

So the only way around this may be using tmdbid and/or imdbid in collection.xml, but what do you do for a item with no id? .

What about tag? Emby support tags. It’s been used to hide media from library.

​Ok. I am sorry that there is no solution to this issue but probably it is not even worth it. What I'm really looking forward to is some better and more effective way to group my media. The way genres and filters are improving is interesting... And @@Luke once mentioned something about introducing "virtual libraries"(?) in the future but I can't find that post anymore... Can someone confirm/correct me?

Yes that's something we want to do in the future. Thanks.

Deathsquirrel

The collection.xml it just a list of items you have in a collect, same a playlist file (the location of the media in this list).  Once you break the chain you have to fix it.  Easiest way as the Collection exist in ui is re-adding your moved items to update the existing collection.xml.  There is no one solution for moving media and media by location lists.

So the only way around this may be using tmdbid and/or imdbid in collection.xml, but what do you do for a item with no id?  Users just need to be aware if you are going to move your media you need to know there is maintenance that needs to be done also.

Raised a FR for just that recently but it was also problematic.  Still like the idea though.