Emby Roku Theme

Azg

I have a Premiere subscription, and on my Windows app I have the Apple TV theme.

Is there anyway of getting the same or almost the same appearance on my Roku Ultra app?

• Like 1

notla49285

Unfortunately themes are not yet available for Roku devices, I'm after the same thing (though I'd like Blue Radiance).

• Like 1

Thanks. I hope Roku Emby themes will be available by the end of the year. The black and and green on the Roku Emby looks horrible (to me) compared to the clean look of the Apple TV theme on Windows.

notla49285

I'm hoping it'll be well before the end of the year! I'm not a fan of plain black either, I think some of the other themes make it look a lot more professional and even better than Plex in some cases, and that's saying something (recent Roku debacle aside).

Edited by notla49285

• 2 weeks later...
Allan Cameron

I agree, would like to see the same themes available on the Roku that are on the server side. Shouldn't be hard to do, will be just a matter of adjusting the color for the background, font... And so on. Would be nice to get some kind of confirmation if this is even planned for the future.

This is something other clients have that makes the experience more personal. I have added themes to the issue/feature tracker. We should be able to fit something in eventually to address this shortcoming. But there are other missing features that need more attention. We will follow up when we have more information. Thanks. It is planned for the future indeed. :)

• Like 2

Allan Cameron

This is something other clients have that makes the experience more personal. I have added themes to the issue/feature tracker. We should be able to fit something in eventually to address this shortcoming. But there are other missing features that need more attention. We will follow up when we have more information. Thanks. It is planned for the future indeed. :)

Awesome!!!! Thank you for your interest :)

PuffyToesToo

Please let us know if it would be possible to either customize the theme for ourselves in the future, or whether we might be able to submit them for consideration.

Roku is more of a challenge to do this with, so yes, it's something we'd like to do, but it will take a bit of time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Angus Black

I've been looking through the forum for a topic related to visual changes to the Roku app. This topic is close. :)

I have low vision or whatever the PC term is for fu$%^& blind. I am actually legally blind.

While you're working on themes for Roku would it be possible to have the option of changing the poster size on grid screens?

I also use an nVidia Shield with the Emby app. The ability to select grid image size is available on the Android TV platform.

Edited by Angus Black

I've been looking through thwe forum for a topic related to visual changes to the Roku app. This topic is close. :)

I have low vision or whatever the PC term is for fu$%^& blind. I am actually legally blind.

While you're working on themes for Roku would it be possible to have the option of changing the poster size on grid screens?

I also use an nVidia Shield with the Emby app. The ability to select grid image size is available on the Android TV platform.

Hi, yes it's possible for the future. Do you think the images are currently too small now?

• Like 1

Angus Black

Hi, yes it's possible for the future. Do you think the images are currently too small now?

Hi Luke

They are too small for me. That's why I like the Android TV version that lets us select the size.

I use large on Android TV. This puts four portrait images per row.

I am being picky as Emby as it is now is much better than Plex, for me.

The thick outline around selected items works well. The method used for Android TV also works very well, expanding the selected item.

I assume there are limitations within Roku that won't allow the Emby client to work the same way as the client in Android TV.

notla49285

Do you think the images are currently too small now?

For anyone with visual impairments it would be a good idea if it were possible to enlarge. For me, it's a little big as it is at the moment, but I think this is just Roku design as other apps are the same. It's a shame that Roku's framework is a little tricky (from what I've heard) as they are amazing devices.

Angus Black

I've been using the Beta version on the nVidia Sheild today. I really like the way it works.

I like that it jumps right to the grid of shows/movies rather than taking me to another screen first.

The image size it isn't as important as I thought because I can read the Show Name text at the top.

If the Roku client could act the same way as the Android client I would be very happy.

People may wonder why I don't just use the Shield...

I have 5 Rokus and 1 Shield and, more importantly, my wife is likes to the Roku. :)

• 9 months later...
LevelBest

Just some feedback in regards to these issues.. While I actually like the black theme of the roku, I was trying to change it (andI discovered it didn't work) because when I go to Channels under Live TV.. I can't see many of the icons with that theme.  It's too dark of drop shadow/background with the channel logo itself.  I was looking for something lighter to get a white opaque background so I can see all the channel logos.

If the theme portion is straight up tricky to work with, is there something specifically that can be introduced to alter just that part of the current theme? to add an option for the channel icon background color or brightness (in the channels view, not the grid guide).

I'm really very happy with Emby.  You won me over from Plex.  I couldn't ever get subtitle preferences for "always on" to work on Plex for a specific client without renaming to forced.. effecting all clients.  Emby does this the way it should! Also.. agree with options to support an increased text size via a larger preset (I have someone in my household with poor eyesight and cannot read the text well in the descriptions or grid).

Thanks for the hard work!

• Like 1

The themes are not tricky to make they just require careful balance of work-ram/texture-memory and efficiency/speed. Alot of this is already done as we changed most of the images to support being "colored" now. So it is pretty easy in theory to see how we can do this. The issue is everything else not in the app. If we work on themes first, we delay the Live TV changes, we delay new new audio player changes, we delay our playback capability updates, we delay lots of other issues. Adding themes (theme manager) will consume quite a bit of time as everything has to be adapted to listen for user changes. It isn't hard. It is just hard to ignore other issues and immediately just jump to this. We seriously want to have everything equal in all apps today. But that is not possible both logistically or realistically. We have to prioritize everything. We have to assign weight to items to signify their importance. The heavier items drag us down and need addressing sooner than others. They slow our forward momentum. I hope you understand. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
slidvendetta

Just some feedback in regards to these issues.. While I actually like the black theme of the roku, I was trying to change it (andI discovered it didn't work) because when I go to Channels under Live TV.. I can't see many of the icons with that theme.  It's too dark of drop shadow/background with the channel logo itself.  I was looking for something lighter to get a white opaque background so I can see all the channel logos.

If the theme portion is straight up tricky to work with, is there something specifically that can be introduced to alter just that part of the current theme? to add an option for the channel icon background color or brightness (in the channels view, not the grid guide).

I'm really very happy with Emby.  You won me over from Plex.  I couldn't ever get subtitle preferences for "always on" to work on Plex for a specific client without renaming to forced.. effecting all clients.  Emby does this the way it should! Also.. agree with options to support an increased text size via a larger preset (I have someone in my household with poor eyesight and cannot read the text well in the descriptions or grid).

Thanks for the hard work!

I agree with this comment. We use the dark theme to make the Live TV grid show names easier to read but most of the TV Channel Logos are black or dark and cannot been seen. I would really like an opaque background for Logos and larger font option in the Live TV Grid. Keep up the good work. Emby DVR is the best!