EMBY Server - My system stops too.

Joe704

Trying to keep Emby Server Version 3.5.3.0-18 in a continuous run on my Synology DS718+.

Set up as a NAS for movies. DSM version is DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4. 

I can manually run the package. At some point, something stops the package and I have to manually restart. Don't know when the problem started. Just know I found it on the 4th when I tried to watch a movie Don't have any idea where to start or what to look for. I'm pretty much illiterate about servers.

If I have put EMBY Server on the desktop, it disappears when EMBY stops.

Sorry but you'll have to be very specific about how/were to get any information you might need. Right now, I can't even locate the logs. Anyone with suggestions??? Thanks..

Hi there, you can access server logs from the emby server dashboard under the logs section. Can you grab the last few from there? thanks.

Here are 4 that might be of use.

3 just prior to shutdown and 1 after startup.

embyserver-63682412668 was the last prior to shutting down (I believe)

embyserver-63682412881 was first log after starting up again.

If the server is too full will it cause EMBY to shut down? I was loaded at about 93% capacity and have started deleting some of the movies.

Thanks for looking.

embyserver-63682401551.txtembyserver-63682401621.txtembyserver-63682412668.txtembyserver-63682412881.txt

Edited by Joe704

James:

Thanks for the offer but....

As mentioned above, I'm totally clueless about servers. I didn't even know what SSH was until I looked it up just now. Scares me to be messing around in the middle of something that seems to be working now.

After I eliminated some movies and the volume size got under 90% of the available storage pool, the package stopped shutting down. Another thing I noticed is that There was a log being generated every minute and now I have only 5 logs since (and counting) the startup up at 11:59 on the 10th.

I really think the problem was volume size (97% of space available) and that DSM was shutting the service down to prevent data corruption. I'll be glad to try and work through sending the logs if you think it's still necessary but I'll need much more help than I get from the link you provided. Think of me as a pre-schooler. 

Thanks

Joe

solabc16

Hello Joe

Thanks for the information. From your description, with the logs being created every minutes, that sounds like the auto-recovery doing it's job - i.e. detecting an unexpected exit and restarting the service.

From what I can see in the logs attached, specifically embyserver-63682412668.txt, this looks like the crash was caused by an image processing failure.

Do you have any of your libraries configured with folders that are located on a network share?

Best

- James

I think I understand what you are asking. I've attached a rough diagram of what I have. The TV's and the SHIELD TV's have EMBY apps installed. Both computers access files using Windows File Explorer. The EMBY (movies) files are primarily on the NAS with the EMBY package installed, but I also have other movie libraries on my main computer (separate hard drive)  that the EMBY package seems to take care of. They show up with art and metadata when I add new entries in the shared folders. When I add a new folder, I have to share it before EMBY sees it. So, I think yes??

post-292936-0-69347400-1547308464_thumb.jpg

solabc16

Thanks for the information @@Joe704, perhaps you could send a screenshot of your library configuration

i.e. the screen that is displayed at Manager Server -> Library -> <your library> -> Manage Library

-------------------------

Here's some further information on how to SSH to your system. You can enable SSH here : DSM -> Control Panel -> Terminal & SNMP -> Enable SSH Service.

If you have a Windows machine, grab the PuTTY client : https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

If you're on a Mac or Linux machine, you'll have an SSH client available already.

Assuming you're running DSM 6.x, start an SSH session to your system and login to the machine as admin.

Here's a visual reference from one of our support pages: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

-------------------------

Best
- James

James,

Well, I made something happen even though I'm nor sure what. Managed to get logged in with PuTTY although not with the "admin" name. Said it sent the file and that I should send this to you....

sendlogs_Area51_synology_apollolake_718+_20190113T175726UTC.tgz

As far as the screenshot of my library configuration... I hate to admit but I can't find a "Manage Server" on either the Synology DSM or Emby. Sorry.... I'm still looking.

You're already in the manage server section. Scroll down the left menu and there is a logs section.