Smoother Playback

eetaylog

eetaylog

Evening all, i recently took the plunge into emby after years of using mediaportal and kodi so thought id say hello and open with a question thats been bugging me.

As much as i love the emby experience so far i just cant get video playback to run as smoothly as id like and want to get it exactly right before i take the plunge into buying premiere.

Im confident that its a slight refresh rate/fps mismatch issue between video source (running from a dedicated windows media server) and the various android/firestick based tv's that are situated on my LAN. Its not a very noticeable problem during 90% of movie scenes, only during long panning shots. Not frame dropping exactly, just a slightly consistent judder is the best way to explain it. (Ive found that the best test scene to try it on is at 2mins into The Hobbit: AUJ as the scene pans across the map of erebor).

I used to have a similar issue for years when running a mediaportal server/client setup but just accepted that it was something that was never going to get resolved. However mediaportal released a built in audio renderer in one of their 1.x.x releases which completely kicked ass and completely transformed video playback into being silky smooth. It works by using dynamic refresh rate (which emby already has afaik) but then compensating for dropped/silent audio frames by adjusting the audio reference clock. The change in speed is almost undetectable as the frame rate is already closely matched to the display at the dynamic refresh rate stage, and the result is excellent.

Im certainly no expert in the encoding/decoding side of video media, and mediaportal's own wiki certainly explains it a lot better than i can, but i thought id see what you guys had to say about it...

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=10454423

As i said, im new to emby and absolutely love it so far, but I was just wondering whether this type of solution is/will be part of emby? If im going over something that already exists in the software but i just havent found it yet, please let me know and ill keep trying to improve my setup.

Keep up the good work. Sorry for a long first post but im looking forward to getting more involved on the forums :)

G

Edited by eetaylog

eetaylog

Hi Luke, thanks for the quick reply. I just sent a log via debugging on my firestick app client (I actually sent my first one by mistake which you can ignore. The proper one was sent at 20:58 GMT).

I was logged in as Gary on the app and I started The Hobbit then skipped to 2 minutes in and streamed the panning scene I was talking about in my original post.

Server version is 3.5.3.0

Thanks in advance for any help.

eetaylog

Ah, interesting. OK, would you mind taking a look at my latest logs from a different tv running on its built in android os. The emby app on that one shows refresh rate as available (and I've selected it in options) but it's still not quite right during the same panning scene.

Same version of the app (and server obviously) and same user.

Thanks again.

pünktchen

Anyone?

There's no Android based tv that allows refreshrate switching for apps. At least i don't know of anyone.

Ok so this is a dvd folder rip. These are always difficult. Do you see this problem on plain video files?

Jdiesel

It's the Sony kdl-50w829. I'm pretty sure the smart TV software is android based as the android logo pops up when the TV is booted from cold.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-50w829b/specifications

Sony TV's usually have very good motion handling, not the typical "soap opera effect" that many other TV's do. Try setting the MotionFlow to TrueCinema and the amount to Low or Medium to start.

eetaylog

Ok so this is a dvd folder rip. These are always difficult. Do you see this problem on plain video files?

The movie I've been using for my logs is a bluray rip x264 mkv file so definitely not a dvd file format? It should show in the logs as The Hobbit, and I skipped to 2 mins, watched the scene, then turned it off and sent the logs. Should be stamped around the 17.00pm mark.

Edited by eetaylog

eetaylog

Sony TV's usually have very good motion handling, not the typical "soap opera effect" that many other TV's do. Try setting the MotionFlow to TrueCinema and the amount to Low or Medium to start.

Yeah I agree and I've played around with all the motion effects ad nauseum and it does improve the mismatch, but it's definitely not right still. If I switch to Netflix on the same TV and watch the same scene, the difference in smoothness is very noticeable.

Jdiesel

Yeah I agree and I've played around with all the motion effects ad nauseum and it does improve the mismatch, but it's definitely not right still. If I switch to Netflix on the same TV and watch the same scene, the difference in smoothness is very noticeable.

Interesting, have you tried using VLC as an external player? Is there any difference compared to Emby's internal player?

eetaylog

Interesting, have you tried using VLC as an external player? Is there any difference compared to Emby's internal player?

Yes I did try vlc last week and it didn't make any difference but I haven't tried it again since playing with the motionflow settings. Ill give it another bash later.

Edited by eetaylog

pünktchen

It's the Sony kdl-50w829. I'm pretty sure the smart TV software is android based as the android logo pops up when the TV is booted from cold.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-50w829b/specifications

This is a 2014 model, right? Officially Android TV was introduced by Sony in 2015. Maybe there's a very very customized Android version under the hood in your TV?! Anyway, even the newest Android TV's don't allow refreshrate switching in apps. The Android OS and the apps are running always at 60 Hz.

eetaylog

This is a 2014 model, right? Officially Android TV was introduced by Sony in 2015. Maybe there's a very very customized Android version under the hood in your TV?! Anyway, even the newest Android TV's don't allow refreshrate switching in apps. The Android OS and the apps are running always at 60 Hz.

Yes i think mine is a 2014 model, however i definitely have the smart tv software shown in this video, and its named as being Android (i dont have the same model as the tv in the video, but its 100% the smart tv environment mine is running)...

If I switch to Netflix on the same TV and watch the same scene, the difference in smoothness is very noticeable.

Netflix very well may have re-encoded the movie to 60hz...

eetaylog

Then you are out of luck.

Just find it strange that the emby app on my Sony TV has refresh rate as an option in its settings.

What's the best streaming stick for emby in that case?

Edited by eetaylog

pünktchen

It's for Kodi not Emby, but shows all the advantages and technical limitations of the preferable devices: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 Also have a deep look inside the separate hardware threats that are linked there.

If you can afford the price, everyone here will recommend the Shield. It can switch refreshrates in the Emby app and Kodi, but not in other apps yet. Right now Nvidia has color space switching in their beta firmware and after that they want to implement global (app independent) refreshrate switching.

eetaylog

It's for Kodi not Emby, but shows all the advantages and technical limitations of the preferable devices: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 Also have a deep look inside the separate hardware threats that are linked there.

If you can afford the price, everyone here will recommend the Shield. It can switch refreshrates in the Emby app and Kodi, but not in other apps yet. Right now Nvidia has color space switching in their beta firmware and after that they want to implement global (app independent) refreshrate switching.

Thanks, ill take a look at the link. Ive considered the shield in the past but unfortunately its a bit too big for my setup as i have my tv's mounted flush against the wall and they only really have enough room for a streaming stick (or slightly bigger) behind them.

I see that the Fire TV 4k now has framerate matching in its latest update. Is that a good option? Or what about a Roku stick?

Edited by eetaylog

pünktchen

I see that the Fire TV 4k now has framerate matching in its latest update. Is that a good option? Or what about a Roku stick?

It's a great device, but has bigger problems with hardware deinterlacing of 1080i content right now. If you are willing to wait up to 15 seconds for live tv until the Emby server does the deinterlacing for you...

Can't say any word about the roku, because it's useless in germany.