Emby theater on XBOX One

IceBoosteR

IceBoosteR

Hi,

I have boought myself a XBOX One S, as this console is capable of DTS:X and Dolby Atmos. I have a new Denon AVR-2500H as AVR with Atmos and DTS:X capability. In the XBOX settings, I have enabled 4K and Bitstream as audio-format (I have also activated Dolby Atmos for Home Theater). I play now my test movie: Star Wars Episode VII with Atmos as aduio. I play this with the Emby app, but the server needs to transcode as video and audio codec is not supported.

I am out of ideas why this is happening, I don't see a configuration issue as I have enabled HDR, 4K and bitstream everywhere. Is this an Emby bug?

Currently the newest 4K movies are not watchable for me ...

Logfile attached

Edited by IceBoosteR
  • Like 2

Hi, if you use emby user permission to disable access to all transcoding features, do the videos play in the Xbox app, or do they fail?

IceBoosteR

Hi @@Luke,

I have diabled:

• Allow audio playback that requires transcoding
  • Allow video playback that requires transcoding
  • Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding
  • Allow media downloading and syncing that requires transcoding
  • Allow media conversion

The Movie is now playing in 4K seamless, but I have no sound. I am also unable to see the "statistics for nerds" menu.

Thanks

VladTepz

Unfortunately, Pass-through/Bit-streaming audio doesn't work/is not supported by Microsoft for 3rd party apps. (Emby, Kodi, VLC, Plex, etc...)  This is a limitation of the XB1, not Emby.

All Audio is re-encoded into the Xbox system’s multi-channel PCM

(Except Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, YouTube, and possibly a few others, which have some kind of exception worked out with MS to allow Pass-through/Bit-streaming audio)

Sources:
Kodi - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=326539
Plex - https://forums.plex.tv/t/dts-and-dd-sound-issue-possibly-xbox-one-app-only/196503

VLC - https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=138722

It's a known issue and there are much more discussions on the topic, but these are the top 3 I found quickly.

Edited by VladTepz
  • Like 4

IceBoosteR

Unfortunately, Pass-through/Bit-streaming audio doesn't work/is not supported by Microsoft for 3rd party apps. (Emby, Kodi, VLC, Plex, etc...)  This is a limitation of the XB1, not Emby.

All Audio is re-encoded into the Xbox system’s multi-channel PCM

(Except Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, YouTube, and possibly a few others, which have some kind of exception worked out with MS to allow Pass-through/Bit-streaming audio)

Sources:

Kodi - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=326539

Plex - https://forums.plex.tv/t/dts-and-dd-sound-issue-possibly-xbox-one-app-only/196503

VLC - https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=138722

It's a known issue and there are much more discussions on the topic, but these are the top 3 I found quickly.

Ohhh f*ck. ANd I have bought myself a XBOX BECAUSE I thought it is cabable of DTS:X nad DD Atmos (which is true...), but not for Emby which is my library for everything ....

Is there any possibility to get this to work? I mean I need Emby Theater to have this running on XBOX ....

There are not much applications in the Microsoft Store, so the devs can maybe force M$ to do so?

Edit: Created a suggestion at the XBOX user voice forum....

https://xboxideas.uservoice.com/forums/911263-idea-drive-suggestion-box/suggestions/36457156-allow-bitstream-passthru-for-3rd-party-apps

Ad there is something similar:

https://xboxideas.uservoice.com/forums/911263-idea-drive-suggestion-box/suggestions/35722747-idea-drive-for-xbox-media-apps-blu-ray-media-pla#comments

Vote for it guys!

@@The Emby dev team, if there is anything I could do to help you, lemme know

Edited by IceBoosteR
  • Like 1

MrFlibbles

I'm guessing to have the Emby app use "exclusive" mode on the XBox?

From the post linked above:

App developers absolutely CAN code their app so it goes into Exclusive mode. It's in the SDK. They just haven't yet. But the point remains that there's nothing there for Microsoft to fix. That flag to put apps into exclusive mode has been in the SDK for a while now, and is the only solution you're going to see.

Edited by MrFlibbles
  • Like 1

VladTepz
App developers absolutely CAN code their app so it goes into Exclusive mode. It's in the SDK. They just haven't yet. But the point remains that there's nothing there for Microsoft to fix. That flag to put apps into exclusive mode has been in the SDK for a while now, and is the only solution you're going to see.

I too have seen this exact statement quoted on a number of threads regarding this topic. Unfortunately, never with instructions on where or how to enable this flag with typical response from Devs being they are unable to locate this flag at all.

In all fairness, I've never used their SDK, so can't definitively comment on the actual existence of this flag. I can only assume that if such a flag was available, we would see Pass-through/Bit-streaming audio working on something else besides the "Big 4" streaming apps.

Add to that fact that the Kodi Devs worked directly with a Microsoft engineer to port Kodi to Windows UWP, and the fact that they (Kodi's Windows UWP Devs) claim it's currently impossible, I can only assume it's not currently possible.

That said, I too am hopeful for a solution to be found for this. Pass-through/Bit-streaming audio not available on the XB1 is really the only thing stopping me from using the XB1 as my main media client.

Yea looking at the api for exclusive mode, it's not that simple. We'll have to stream the data to the audio renderer ourselves, which we currently do not do. The video player handles this for us, so more than likely, we need a new video player. And truthfully based on what i"m reading I'm not even sure it's possible at this stage.

• Like 1

I don't think I'm in a position to answer that. The first step would be for MS to allow all apps to utilize the feature. I think if i recall there is something on their uservoice about it but I'm not positive.

IceBoosteR

I don't think I'm in a position to answer that. The first step would be for MS to allow all apps to utilize the feature. I think if i recall there is something on their uservoice about it but I'm not positive.

I will let you know if I see some news on this topic. But I think that there has nothing moved forward since the XBOX One S/X are on the market, so I assume MS will not making this happen. Unfortunately ...

• 1 year later...
Devdroid

Any news on this with regard to Xbox Series X? Guess it's hard to answer before the consoles are available to the general public.

Microsoft should send a devkit to @Luke :)

I've pre-ordered the Series X and stumbled upon this thread while trying to figure out if could get it to output Atmos, but alas, probably not. Guess it also won't work with headphones and Dolby Atmos or Windows Sonic? 

Edited by Devdroid

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have bad experience with playing 4K movies on my new Xbox series X (ethernet connected).

video is sluttered, transcode playing only

audio is transcoded too, whereas my receiver/TV are compatible with the codec.

the same movie is well played on my Surface book connected with Wifi

is there any plans to upgrade /optimize this app for the Xbox SX?

Thank you

Moreje

• Like 1

MBSki

@Luke You just need to allow the audio to transcode independently of the video to get 4k to work. I've been asking for this for more than a year. I know you have a new "merged" app for Windows and Xbox, but can't you at least just add a fix to separate out the audio and video transcodes so we can watch 4k on the xbox?

• Like 2