So what is the point of the backup plugin if it doesn't backup my custom changes to images and text?

R5D4
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

I had a run of bad luck recently and had my primary SSD die on me (thrice) each time requiring me to rebuild my server from scratch and each time I had to redo all my custom images and all my custom metadata (probably talking less than a couple dozen files but I digress).  

So out of frustration of not having a really good backup tool for Plex available (that I could find anyway) I decided to give Emby a shot as I saw it had a backup and restore plugin.  "GREAT", I thought, "Maybe someone realized I don't want to redo the same work over and over whenever my box goes down".  So I downloaded Emby, setup some media files (external drive), made some customization, setup the plugin, ran the backup and went to another computer to run the restore.  What do I find when I do the restoration? well that some of my media (stuff that I didn't customize) is now lacking metadata (images and text) AND that none of my customizations are part of the backup apparently UGH!!!

Can someone please explain to me why this is? cause I really want to know.  There doesn't appear to be any settings to change in the menu to ensure metadata and custom images are preserved so a novice (aka me) would assume this would just be part of the default setting.  Is this a bug or a "Feature" cause if it's a "Feature" I'm going to rip my hair out!

I just cannot understand why this would be, Is this a technical limitation? Can we really not have Emby backup store the metadata and image files in a backup file as part of the backup process?  I just don't see why the thing I care the most about backing up (i.e. my manual work that I don't want to repeat) isn't being backed up by the backup tool.  I've found mention here and there (after yet more googling) about having to do a separate backup of the metadata directory (nothing step by step though) but again WHY!?!? Why do I have to do this instead of the tool?  Isn't that what the tool is for? Making things easier to restore?

Sigh...Sorry, I don't mean to labor the point but if someone can please explain what the reason is that this isn't a function of the plugin I would really like to understand.  It's more frustrating not understanding what the limitation is (and what the workaround is step by step) than it is to have to redo the work. If someone could just say "It can't do that and here is the technical reason why" or better yet "It can't do it YET but it will be able to in XX months" that would be fantastic because at least I'd finally know.

TLDR; backup and restore plugin doesn't restore customized images and metadata n00b doesn't understand why.

Happy2Play

The plugin "Server Configuration Backup" is about configuration not metadata.  As for custom metadata and images it is recommended you save this information with media.  When you don't write metadata (nfo) it is only written to the database and images get saved in a \library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx id folder generated at the time of import and new ids are generated on a new build.

Edited by Happy2Play

The plugin "Server Configuration Backup" is about configuration not metadata.  As for custom metadata and images it is recommended you save this information with media.  When you don't write metadata (nfo) it is only written to the database and images get saved in a \library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx id folder generated at the time of import and new ids are generated on a new build.

Thank you! Okay so this is me misunderstanding the function of the Backup Plugin (Server Configuration vs. User Configuration of the metadata and files) I can deal with that but then I have to ask -- why isn't there another plugin specifically for the user configuration portion (setting it up and backing it up/restoring it)?  Are there just some settings I haven't read about/found for being able to store the images/metadata with the media. If so why do this two different ways (once as a plugin and once as a setting you have to find within the existing admin screens)? As, in my head, both are administrative tasks I want to control from a single location easily.

Is there a wiki or instructions you could please link me to for setting up the metadata/images to store with the media and the process for restoring such a configuration?

• Solution
Happy2Play

Thank you! Okay so this is me misunderstanding the function of the Backup Plugin (Server Configuration vs. User Configuration of the metadata and files) I can deal with that but then I have to ask -- why isn't there another plugin specifically for the user configuration portion (setting it up and backing it up/restoring it)?  Are there just some settings I haven't read about/found for being able to store the images/metadata with the media. If so why do this two different ways (once as a plugin and once as a setting you have to find within the existing admin screens)? As, in my head, both are administrative tasks I want to control from a single location easily.

Ultimately this would get rather large but one could backup their Emby-Server folder and restore it anywhere as newer installs are pretty much portable.  But there are things like library paths that would have to remain the same (dependent on library paths used).

Is there a wiki or instructions you could please link me to for setting up the metadata/images to store with the media and the process for restoring such a configuration?

There is not a lot in the wiki in reference to this or is outdated. 

Adjusting these setting only apply to initial media import, so anything already in your library will not write nfo or save image to media folder.

But on each Library (Dashboard-Library) you will see "Show Advance setting" enable it and scroll down.

Metadata savers: enable nfo this will write a nfo file with your media. Emby will always use existing metadata when rebuild your library. So all customization is maintained.

Save artwork into media folders: enable (Saving artwork into media folders will put them in a place where they can be easily edited.)

And I enable "Download images in advance" to ensure all image are available Emby by default will only grab them on demand it not enabled.

Note Emby will need write access to your libraries.

• Like 1

Ultimately this would get rather large but one could backup their Emby-Server folder and restore it anywhere as newer installs are pretty much portable.  But there are things like library paths that would have to remain the same (dependent on library paths used).

There is not a lot in the wiki in reference to this or is outdated. 

Adjusting these setting only apply to initial media import, so anything already in your library will not write nfo or save image to media folder.

But on each Library (Dashboard-Library) you will see "Show Advance setting" enable it and scroll down.

Metadata savers: enable nfo this will write a nfo file with your media. Emby will always use existing metadata when rebuild your library. So all customization is maintained.

Save artwork into media folders: enable (Saving artwork into media folders will put them in a place where they can be easily edited.)

And I enable "Download images in advance" to ensure all image are available Emby by default will only grab them on demand it not enabled.

Note Emby will need write access to your libraries.

Thanks! I will give this a shot.  Appreciate the help even though I was cranky at the start ;)

Happy2Play

No worries and welcome.  It is not the first time this has been brought up.