Recommedation - Roku or Amazon Fire?

BuddahKat

BuddahKat

Hi all,

Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum, but I am about to purchase a device to stream Emby to a second TV and was wondering if there was a consensus on whether the Emby app works / is more stable on Roku or an Amazon Fire device. My main concerns are speed and stability, especially with Live TV as whatever I choose needs to be very "wife friendly". Thanks in advance!

pir8radio

firetv 4k stick..  fast and stable. better experience than the roku in my opinion. 

notla49285

Roku by a country mile, a friend of mine had a Fire Stick and it was the worst streaming device I've ever used. Laggy as hell, crashes very often (especially Emby app), no YouTube because of a petty squabble with Google and it's heavily geared towards selling Amazon media, other apps are an afterthought in the main menu.

I've got 4 Rokus now and never had an issue with any of them, they run smoothly and have a much simpler and user-friendly interface and the Emby app runs like a dream. I have, let's say slightly older, users on the Rokus and they can use them easily.

Only issue is I'm using Roku 2s and 3s, which they don't sell any more. The only Roku devices available now are f'ing streaming sticks with no Ethernet ports so WiFi only. Not happy with Roku for this decision, I bought two of my boxes used off eBay.

Edited by notla49285
  • Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

It depends on several factors but I have a couple of Fire devices and a few Rokus and I virtually never use anything but the Rokus. I find the Fire devices to have a poor, non-intuitive interface that very much over emphases the whole Amazon ecosystem. It should be noted that I have heavily bought into Amazon and I have Echos and I am a Prime member but I still find Fire devices too Amazon oriented.

The Roku has a more diverse interface and does not seem to force anything on you.

As far as the Emby apps go the bottom line is that my choice is still the Roku. It is just easier and things like the "Home" button actually exit the app and stops playback which was not the case on the Fire the last time I checked.

Also I avoid all "wireless" streaming and therefore I avoid all sticks. Wireless is just too unreliable for reliable streaming.

I believe that if you get a Roku 3 or Ultra you will be pleased but if you get any "stick" product you may well run into issues.

pir8radio

. Laggy as hell, crashes very often (especially Emby app), 

The latest 4k FireStick is just as responsive as the nvidia shield, handles hevc 4k files fine, and is no longer laggy or crashy...   Hasn't been since the old firetv stick gen1 as far as i know.

things like the "Home" button actually exit the app and stops playback which was not the case on the Fire the last time I checked.

Also I avoid all "wireless" streaming and therefore I avoid all sticks. Wireless is just too unreliable for reliable streaming.

Home button stops playback.     4k Stick has an adapter to go wired if thats what you like offered by amazon.   I have all of my TV's on 5.8 ghz and have no streaming issues.   

I just wanted to address those issues..     Like they both say the home page is loaded with amazon "stuff" but emby is on top, all i do is hit down twice and hit enter..  The wife has no issues with it, and she hates change...   we moved from DirecTV to this pretty easily.    I do dislike the amazon "stuff" all over the home page, but this has been some of the most reliable hardware I've used...  the wife hates nothing more then her shows freezing, or crashing lol.   Have not had any of that with FireTv or Nvidia Shield.   I used to use MiBox'es but they recently did an update that made them sketchy for me, switched to the 4k sticks. 

• 2 months later...
syralk

I just bought the Fire TV 4k and its faster then the Roku

If you plan to watch live tv ... Fire TV 4k for sure but if you just want medias both will do a good job and since the fire tv is cheaper, go with it.

Gilgamesh_48

To revisit this I want to say that I was gifted a 4k Fire stick and I have tested it quite thoroughly and my feelings about the Stick has changed.

It is pretty smooth and easy to use.

It has shown to be rock solid on the 5ghz band.

It is at least as pleasant to use as my Rokus.

It also has one big advantage, for me at least, over the Roku. The Emby app can be configured so that as you are browsing a brief synopsis shows along the bottom of the screen that lasts for a few seconds. This means that the Fir makes it a LOT easier to find a movie.TV show to watch as to find out what a show is actually about you do not need to press OK and, should you choose not to watch, back in order to continue browsing. For me that is a BIG deal and it has moved the Fire 4k Stick to being my go to  streamer in my living room.

I do not like some of the apps on the Fire (NHL and ESPN are two examples) but those apps being inferior and the home screen being too ad heavy are really not issues because it is easy to switch streamers when I want to watch those apps and I do not "watch" the home screen, I watch media.

• Like 1

unisoft

Hi all,

Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum, but I am about to purchase a device to stream Emby to a second TV and was wondering if there was a consensus on whether the Emby app works / is more stable on Roku or an Amazon Fire device. My main concerns are speed and stability, especially with Live TV as whatever I choose needs to be very "wife friendly". Thanks in advance!

Roku but not the cheapie box or express stick. Mainly because I hate the GUI of the amazon Fire OS (not Emby's).

The Roku is really good now. TV is fine for me on latest update.

Edited by unisoft
  • Like 1