activate different Live TV Tuners for users

deganza

deganza

would it be possible in a future version of Emby to implement the possiblity to enable different Live TV Tuners for the users?

For example: user1 is enabled for Live TV Tuner 1 and 2. user2 is just enabled for Tuner 1

SHSPVR

would it be possible in a future version of Emby to implement the possiblity to enable different Live TV Tuners for the users?

For example: user1 is enabled for Live TV Tuner 1 and 2. user2 is just enabled for Tuner 1

Any reason for this ?.

SHSPVR

yes: I want to enable some users just for a few channels and others users for different channels.

There is an option to do Parental Control but far as I know of nobody has done user control by per number of tuner and by specified channel list only and more of a Feature Requests

Edited by SHSPVR

I think he wants to create separate "tuners" with specific sets of channels and then give access to those tuners just to specific users.  

I'm pretty sure there is an existing feature request for doing just this.

The next release should be pretty soon but it won't include this feature.  At this point, it is still just a request.

Thanks.

Do you really need to specify specific tuners to users?  Can you just reserve X tuners for said user?

Either way, you may not like what happens unless you purchase a lot of tuners.  For example if you had Qty 2 Quatro tuners then you would have 8 total tuners.  Assuming you gave 1 specific tuner to 5 people then 5 of 8 tuners would always be reserved and not usuable for DVR recording by the system.  Then if you yourself wanted to record 4 shows Emby wouldn't do it as only 3 are free to use.

Also what happens if user 1 is watching The Big Bang Theory and user 2 is also watching the same show.  Normally 1 tuner is used and the "stream" is shared saving tuners.  Do you not want this to happen?  Would you rather have 2 tuners in use when 1 could do the job?

Then what happens if you have OTA and Cable tuners or IPTV as well.  Are you going to reserve 1 tuner from each for the person?

If you think about this differently would an option to allow X simultaneous streams for each user be better?  This wouldn't be a reservation but the most one user could use at a time.  They couldn't have something playing in the Living Room, something different in the bedroom and yet another TV stream on their iPad.  Then your job as the admin is just to make sure you have enough total tuners to support your load knowing you can limit use.

Of course DVR recording complicate all of this situations.  For example a user with access to one tuner schedules two programs at 8pm, one on CBS and the other on NBC.  Now what?  What about if two or more users schedule the same show to record on NBC?

As you can see when you start to break down a request like this into something programmable it can have you asking a lot of questions in order to get proper functionality needed.

Just spit balling ideas and things

Thanks alpha for your feedback. I don't think that's an easy task.

But how they do it in TVHeadend? It's possible to set different user and give them different permissons to different channels.
Also they are able to record different shows at the same time.

I think that the best solution would be to record all channels and provide the user a delayed recorded stream.   

• 2 years later...