Resuming Playback with Multiple Versions (UHD & HD)

awdspyder

awdspyder

As I've begun to add UHD titles to my Emby library, I've come to rely on multiple versions of a title (HD & UHD) to prevent UHD transcoding.  I've detailed an interesting finding regarding the metadata file path when multiple files are present here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67416-file-path-with-multiple-versions-hd-uhd-in-library/

Additionally, having multiple versions presents an issue when resuming playback on the Roku.  Of course, each Emby app is different, but on the Roku it appears that the default behavior upon resume is that the application attempts to auto-select the best version based on the player's capability.  This is unlike when first playing a title, when the user is prompted to choose a version. 

The resume function works fine most of the time, but I've got at least one title which plays perfectly fine at a bitrate of 65253 kbps, but never resumes in 4K.  One can watch 100 minutes of the move in 4K without a blip, exit, then resume the last 15 minutes and get 1080p every single time.  Playback quality is set to (Auto - 80 Mbps).  I've only tested 9 UHD titles thus far, but I find it interesting that this title fails to resume in 4K, but another title with nearly the same bitrate (both ~65K kbps) works just fine.

Any ideas what might cause this behavior?  Would it be possible to prompt for the version in the Roku app upon resume, similar to when the title is first played?  Better yet, is there a way to remember which version was previously played and leverage that information?

Thanks, and great work as always!

Better yet, is there a way to remember which version was previously played and leverage that information?

Not really because the device and network condition are much more important factors than what you played last time (potentially from a different device or network).  So, unless specifically requesting a version, we need to be sure we're picking the best one.

We need to look and be sure we're doing the same thing in the app on resume as play with multiple versions.  Thanks.

awdspyder

potentially from a different device or network...

Excellent points both - sounds like ensuring a simple prompt pops upon resume would be the simplest fix.  Thanks, ebr!

Indeed. I can see what is happening. I think it is missing the prompt asking for multiple version and assuming to resume with the first/top item. We can make it behave like pressing the on-screen play button and prompt the dialog, sure.

Edited by speechles

@@Luke this is working now as intended. Have the pull request submitted. 

@@awdspyder stay tuned.. :)

awdspyder

Man, I've been an IT Infrastructure/Systems Engineer for almost 2 decades, and I don't think I've ever seen a dev team as responsive as you all.  You guys rock!   :)