Launch mpc hc with srt?

denywinarto

denywinarto

Whats the proper way to launch mpc hc with subtitles?

On my library i always have accompanying .srt file with the same name as the movie file.. i want to use mpc hc with that srt loaded..

On subtitles settings ive tried :

1. Always play subtitles > resulting in cannot render failure message in mpc hc

2. Other options > subtitles wont show up, not even on mpc hc right click > subtitles option

denywinarto

Ok i tested it again on another pc, it's definitely issue with either emby or mpc hc, my syntax is as follows : 

{path}
/start
/fullscreen
/play
/close

How to reproduce :

the movie's file structure is :

\Project_Gutenberg (2018) \ Project_Gutenberg.mkv
\Project_Gutenberg (2018) \ Project_Gutenberg.srt

playing it without subtitle works fine, meaning i have to set the sub to OFF in the emby page,
but when i set it to "UND" the mpc hc launches then it throws "failed to render file"

cant find any way to log mpc hc yet.. so i cant tell where it fails

Guest asrequested

If you play the movie directly in MPC, not through Emby, do the subs play? Mine do. Have you checked these options?

5c3144ade3a36_Snapshot_129.jpg

denywinarto

Yes, the subtitle loads when i play it direcyly in server, and yes those options are checked.. are you using built in sub or .srt with same file name like mine? What is your config in subtitles setting in theater?

Guest asrequested

Yes, the subtitle loads when i play it direcyly in server, and yes those options are checked.. are you using built in sub or .srt with same file name like mine? What is your config in subtitles setting in theater?

External srt, and they play just fine. I just gave it a whirl. Try removing all of the commands except {path}. That's all you need

denywinarto

External srt, and they play just fine. I just gave it a whirl. Try removing all of the commands except {path}. That's all you need

I removed everything excepy {path}, but now i'm getting failed to render file for all movies whether it has subs or not

Guest asrequested

I removed everything excepy {path}, but now i'm getting failed to render file for all movies whether it has subs or not

Then you may have other issues. Try updating your GPU drivers and reinstall MPC. You may want to use MPC-BE, instead.

Edited by Doofus

The app must not have direct access to the media file, therefore it passed a url to mpchc instead of the original file path. When this happens, no subtitles.

denywinarto

Then you may have other issues. Try updating your GPU drivers and reinstall MPC. You may want to use MPC-BE, instead.

The app must not have direct access to the media file, therefore it passed a url to mpchc instead of the original file path. When this happens, no subtitles.

Tried mpc be but it made no difference..

It seems emby have problem passing url of media with external sub,

This is on local SMB share btw,

On my video internal sub works, but not external

Edited by denywinarto

It seems emby have problem passing url of media with external sub,

We don't have any problem doing this because we don't do it at all. The only thing we pass is the media url.

denywinarto

Ok i tested again with VLC,

cause it has better logging feature,

and apparently i found the cause 

TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported

Looked up into server log and it says the same error,

so it's definitely srt transcoding issue

Googled a bit and it looks like some people were also having this issue 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46988-subtitles-not-getting-transcoded/\

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65740-what-did-you-guys-to-to-break-the-subtitle-again/page-2

Unchecked "allow extraction on the fly." doesnt help either..

Any fix yet for this?

Here's the server log file with allow extraction on the fly enabled 

https://pastebin.com/bUFEwA9d,

And here's the one without allow extraction on the fly

https://pastebin.com/ZEePjJAY

Edited by denywinarto

Try turning off the subtitles prior to playback. With external players, if you have external subtitles selected they will be burned in with transcoding.

denywinarto

You mean selecting "off" on emby movie page right?

Tried that already unfortunately even after playing the external subtitle doesnt get included in the subtitle list

denywinarto

Try setting your subtitle mode to off in your emby user subtitle settings.

Ok just tested it again in user, with  Settings > subtitle >  Subttile Mode > No subtitle

but its still the same, movie plays fine with subtitle off, and it wont load with external subtitle selected

Checked and unchecked allow extraction on the fly makes no difference too

denywinarto

You mean this luke? https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67380-launch-mpc-hc-with-srt/&do=findComment&comment=674017

From my understanding this used to work before then it broke, as the thread here said :

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65740-what-did-you-guys-to-to-break-the-subtitle-again/page-1

So for external player, is this the direction emby going forward?

I think it'd be better if this is added as premium feature, rather than dropping it.

It used to work before probably because of what i said earlier:

Something about your network sharing has changed to prevent direct access to the media, but you're assuming that something in Emby has changed and as a result thinking there is some kind of Emby problem.

denywinarto

I explained earlier why the external subtitles are not loading.

Hmm Just to make sure we're on the same page, there are 2 situations, from emby user theatre :

1. Play movie with OFF subtitle = movie plays fine on mpc hc, but only internal subtitles are available, and this is not ideal for most users i think cause, not all movies are packed with subs, and not all users want english subs

2. Play movie with UND or other external subtitle = mpc hc wont even load the movie file, throwing failed to render error.

So it's not just loading the external subs issue, the movie itself wont load.

All due to the error i mentioned before 

"TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported"

It used to work before probably because of what i said earlier:

Something about your network sharing has changed to prevent direct access to the media, but you're assuming that something in Emby has changed and as a result thinking there is some kind of Emby problem.

I already turned off firewall for both sides,
and i cant think of anything else that might cause it
Web player works fine with external subtitles,
so the issue only occurs on external players.

I will test it later locally on server, but since it's winserver it's asking for a reboot so i'll update this later 
Edited by denywinarto

denywinarto

Well it actually works on the server itself!

Finally found the culprit !

It's intel quick syns hardware acceleration.

Changing it to "none" finally fix the issue.

A note on my CPU, its an Intel xeon 12 core E2670 V3 QSFA,

it's an engineering sample cpu i bought from ebay, and i've been having problem finding the driver.

Could this be the cause?

And about the transcoding, its rather slow.. i guess its because no hardware acceleration?

Even though on LAN it's still feels like WAN a.k.a external network transcoding,

e.g i cant skip the OSD bar..

I already set the IP of LAN pc on "LAN networks" but it still doesn't feel like LAN

How do i force it to not transcode and directplay on LAN ?

I forgot to mention something, my network share is passworded, but the client that is using theatre already has the share accessable..

Edited by denywinarto

denywinarto

No luke, External subs now also works on clients after i disable hardware acceleration, so theres definitely an issue with intel quicksync, OR it could be my Engineering sample xeon, i will try to swap the cpu to 5820k / 6950k with installable driver and i'll update again.

Edited by denywinarto