Newbie Needing Help

DLD

PhilWhite

I decided to delete the jail and start again but I really don't quite understand which user/group should own the files and what the relationship is regarding users/groups within the jail/outside the jail.

The box has 16GB of ram but I had assumed that given Kodi could play the files without transcoding, that Emby would just send them as is. Is there a way to tell it not to transcode?

I'm just guessing about the transcoding.  There used to be a way to turn it off but I'm not sure nowadays.

16 GB should be plenty.  You really only run into trouble if it is 8 or less.

If you are going to start over, I recommend using the method that Luke outlines in that thread I linked earlier.  It will give you the best results.  Or wait until version 3.6 is finalized and available as a plugin.

The easiest thing to do with user/group is to leave the default, which is root/wheel.  A lot of folks prefer the extra security of creating a new user and group, though.  They both work fine.

I'm pretty sure that if you create an emby user and group emby in Freenas it will translate to the jail once it is created.  The jail is just a cordoned off area with a trimmed version of Freenas.  But I'm no guru with Freenas or Emby.

An example of something that is transcoding that you feel should not be. Thanks !

Phil was saying that the flickering I got when playing the TS file on Kodi served from Emby may have been caused by transcoding and my box not being up to the job. I had assumed that the Emby plugin for Kodi would tell the Emby server not to transcode. I have no idea whether that is what happened but it seemed a plausible reason. It was the only file that Emby found and if I played the file directly in Kodi (or any other program on my PC) it did not flicker. But when playing it via Emby I got flickering at the top and bottom of the picture.

This is all new to me. I am used to playing Internet streams on Kodi but I have only recently started recording TV on a computer and this is my first attempt at streaming video from a server. My real question was whether there was an option to tell Emby not to transcode so that I could see if the flicker went away.

As you probably read, I have deleted the Emby jail and thought I would start again from scratch. When do you expect the 3.6 version to be available?

Do you have any recommendations for accounts/groups and file ownership for the video files for use in the Emby plugin?  Should I create an Emby account and Emby group? 

I had assumed that the Emby plugin for Kodi would tell the Emby server not to transcode

Out of the box, yes that's correct.

When do you expect the 3.6 version to be available?

Very soon, we're going as fast as we can. Thanks.