Option for HDR Tone Map luminance value setting

howzz1854

Guest asrequested

yes, i defaulted back to NVdec, see my edited post above. i previously hit submit too early by accident. 

I don't see anything about nvdec, but I don't think it matters much, if at all. You should definitely post your findings on mpv's issues. It would be a help, I feel.

howzz1854

i forgot to post NVDec because i was using it the whole time before started all this testing. it was my default decoder. 

but i decided late last night to just ditch MPV completely and setup MPC-HC/MadVR for external player playback. it was a bit pain in the rear to get some of the missing remote commands linked up but eventually went through without a hitch. 

the color difference of 4 delta may not be much for casual users. but to me it's just too much of a deviance, consider HEVC is the future, and my library will likely have more of them, i want the colors to be consistent and accurate. 

maybe one day when MPV is caught up, i'll come back. but meanwhile, MPC-HC with Lav filters and MadVR has never let me down, and always been consistent. 

• Like 1

howzz1854

so i solved the problem with red channel and yellow channel above. you're not gonna believe how ridiculous of a solve it was. i did the same test on another machine and another display, while HDR tone map produced the same problem, but somehow the red/yellow channel were identical between Lav/MadVR and MPV. so i was puzzled. turns out, my 60 inch LED display in the living room has its left side of the screen warmer than the right side, by a slight delta. moving the playback window across to the right side corrected the slight delta variation. :D

but during all this screen swapping and moving, i literately was starring at images pixel by pixel, and i found out that MPV's video produces a slightly softer image than Lav/MadVR. i am not sure if that's just the way Lav/MadVR renders or if that means there's some kind of resolution loss in the MPV output? but in the finnest detail of complexions and skin bumps, you can tell that Lav/MadVR has a slightly sharper image. on top of that, just to see how accurate MadVR's tone mapping really is for HDR, since who is to say that maybe MadVR's tone map interpretation is wrong? i did a full sweep of HEVC HDR calibration source using my i1Display Pro, turns out that with both Black clipping and white clipping test, the MadVR's default tone map interpretation is actually almost spot on. with the exception that shadow clipping gamma curve is slightly lower than reference by a smidgen, but the high light clipping test it aced it. all the way up to 1000 nit, it tone mapped every shade without losing any details.

There is a HDR demo movie that you can download from LG called "LG CHess 4K Demo". it's in the public domain. in that demo it contains the full spectrum of HDR content. you'll be able to tell that MPV's HDR tone map misses the highest highlights across the demo, with the opera singer's dress when zoomed in under the bright spot light, and when the chess player's blue apron under the spot light, both instances compare to Lav/MadVR you can tell that the brightest highlight are all missing in the tone mapping. 

now only if MPV could adopt the HDR-SDR tone map algorithm of madVR, i think it'll be very viable all purpose players for couch potatoes who are not very technical and don't want the trouble of going through setting up Lav/MadVR etc. 

Guest asrequested

Just today, haasn has made some changes that look to be a big improvement. They haven't been merged, yet. But I think that's just because he wants to dial it a bit more, for general building. Here's a link to a later part of that thread I gave you, earlier.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/6405#issuecomment-450724159

I'm just starting to teach myself how to build my own mpv. I haven't got it nailed down, yet. Anyway, I would imagine that these changes will be merged fairly soon.

Good to hear that you figured out your color issue.

howzz1854

Yes. That's the demo.

And if you use that exact frame and compare MPV and Lav/MadVR side by side you'll see that her white dress and the highlights on her skin looks brighter in MadVR. And in the next scene where the camera zooms in on a guy playing chess, in that close up you'll notice the brightest highlights on his shoulders (blue cape) are missing with MPV.

Edited by howzz1854

Guest asrequested

Yes. That's the demo.

And if you use that exact frame and compare MPV and Lav/MadVR side by side you'll see that her white dress and the highlights on her skin looks brighter in MadVR. And in the next scene where the camera zooms in on a guy playing chess, in that close up you'll notice the brightest highlights on his shoulders (blue cape) are missing with MPV.

MadVR just enables HDR mode, so that wouldn't be a good comparison, but I just updated my post with a new picture.

howzz1854

Oh and this demo is also a prime example where you can tell that MPV produces a sligtlg softer image than MadVR. Especially witt that frame when the camera zooms in on the Opera singer, the detail complextion and bumps on her face are apparently sharper with MadVR

howzz1854

MadVR just enables HDR mode, so that wouldn't be a good comparison, but I just updated my post with a new picture.

No. In MadVR setting, under HDR tab, you have to change the setting to use pixel shader to tone map HDR to SDR and change the peak luminance value to your display peak luminance and leave everything else deafult.

Let me know if you can't find that setting.

Guest asrequested

Oh and this demo is also a prime example where you can tell that MPV produces a sligtlg softer image than MadVR. Especially witt that frame when the camera zooms in on the Opera singer, the detail complextion and bumps on her face are apparently sharper with MadVR

That's likely just the dowscaling algorithm. That can be adjusted. 

But look at the difference between those two pictures.

Guest asrequested

No. In MadVR setting, under HDR tab, you have to change the setting to use pixel shader to tone map HDR to SDR and change the peak luminance value to your display peak luminance and leave everything else deafult.

Let me know if you can't find that setting.

Yup! Did that, doesn't work for me. It switches to HDR every time. It might be because my display is cloned

howzz1854

yeah, the diplay cannot be cloned i think. but if you use the settings in this picture described, and change the peak luminance value to your display's peak luminance. 

post-396798-0-87470900-1546384021_thumb.png

Guest asrequested

All good, I figured it. Here's the three comparisons.

MadVR tone mapping

5c2bf3332a640_chess.jpg

mpv with my old config (a clear difference)

5c2bf367d0566_mpvshot0001.jpg

mpv with my modified config (this is how it looks when madVR passes the HDR metadata to my display)

5c2bf3c2763ba_mpvshot0003.jpg

Edited by Doofus

howzz1854

That's likely just the dowscaling algorithm. That can be adjusted.

But look at the difference between those two pictures.

The adjusted config version looks over saturated and still missing the highlight. The first default picture is missing a while lot of highlights. Basically her peacock shaped collar where most of the white, should be a lot brighter.

Guest asrequested

Actually, that last one isn't like the HDR being passed. The tone mapping is different, but closer than the first picture. Definitely different to madVR.

Guest asrequested

The adjusted config version looks over saturated and still missing the highlight. The first default picture is missing a while lot of highlights. Basically her peacock shaped collar where most of the white, should be a lot brighter.

Yup! I agree. 

howzz1854

All good, I figured it. Here's the three comparisons.

MadVR tone mapping

5c2bf3332a640_chess.jpg

mpv with my old config (a clear difference)

5c2bf367d0566_mpvshot0001.jpg

mpv with my modified config (this is how it looks when madVR passes the HDR metadata to my display)

5c2bf3c2763ba_mpvshot0003.jpg

Yeah. This is exactly what I was talking about the whole time.

Tone mapping the grey scale, madVR definitely has gotten it right. I verified this with my i1display colormeter. MPV just misses a whole lot of grey scale highlight.

There's no comparison when you trigger native HDR mode, since the color channels are expanded. Although is your native HDR mode also calibrated closer to Rec2020?

Edited by howzz1854

Guest asrequested

But hey, look at this. This is from a test build with the new tone mapping improvements. 

madvr

5c2bf79818bdb_chess.jpg

new mpv

5c2bf7b4b05d9_mpvshot0005.jpg

• Like 1

howzz1854

But hey, look at this. This is from a test build with the new tone mapping improvements.

madvr

5c2bf79818bdb_chess.jpg

new mpv

5c2bf7b4b05d9_mpvshot0005.jpg

Wow. What a difference. It's definitely very close!

howzz1854

Did you also notice the difference in image sharpness on her face between the two renderers? It's hard to tell unless you're viewing it on something 60 inch plus up close.