TV networks plugins (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC)

wmeeryeck

skidmarks

I erased this post...  Had nothing of value to add to this conversation (but cant delete it)

Edited by skidmarks

wmeeryeck

Although you deemed them irrelevant, I thought your comments were poignant and I totally agree.

However, what would be wrong with a plugin (say either Plex or Roku or Emby) which would simply log you in (with your own credentials) to a network’s FREE website? And then stream it to your TV, possibly recording it for you?

However, what would be wrong with a plugin (say either Plex or Roku or Emby) which would simply log you in (with your own credentials) to a network’s FREE website? And then stream it to your TV, possibly recording it for you?

If it sent  you to a browser session to do that then probably nothing but that is not the experience people will want (and wouldn't be possible on  all platforms).

The reason access to those items via the network's website is free is because they can then capture your attention for advertising while on their site.  Circumventing that ability will certainly violate the terms of use of their site because that is how that business model works.

Zippy1515

Although you deemed them irrelevant, I thought your comments were poignant and I totally agree.

But why do that if someone can duplicate the Plex plugins for Emby. There is no login with these. I’m not a programmer, but is there anything specific to the Plex plugins to Plex? As I mentioned before, they still work on some platforms. I guess I may try to take a look at the code and learn Python this weekend.

But why do that if someone can duplicate the Plex plugins for Emby. There is no login with these. I’m not a programmer, but is there anything specific to the Plex plugins to Plex? As I mentioned before, they still work on some platforms. I guess I may try to take a look at the code and learn Python this weekend.

They will likely violate our development policy so please pay attention to that.

Thanks.

BillOatman

If it sent  you to a browser session to do that then probably nothing but that is not the experience people will want (and wouldn't be possible on  all platforms).

The reason access to those items via the network's website is free is because they can then capture your attention for advertising while on their site.  Circumventing that ability will certainly violate the terms of use of their site because that is how that business model works.

I took a quick look at the CBS code at the link above, and that's what it looks to be doing.  Displaying the video content without the rest of the page.

As a side note, damn if python doesn't make doing that easy.

Spaceboy

There are unofficial plugins though that just don’t go in the emby catalogue