FLAC transcoding via DLNA

FreeBSD_Lover

FreeBSD_Lover

I searched but didn't find an existing discussion.  I have a growing FLAC collection of music.  My home theatre receiver works flawlessly with Emby DLNA for streaming music, in MP3 and FLAC types as it has a built in DAC. However I also have a Sony PS3 that cannot playback FLAC files.  Can someone walk me through how I would build a DLNA transcoding profile in Emby to transcode FLAC into MP3 so at PS3 can play them?  No need to discuss with me about the 'sin' of transcoding FLAC 'down' to MP3; I get that. ;)  Until I get a new PS4 I will be using the PS3.  I'm not stuck because I am using the internal DAC of the receiver to play the FLAC, but there are other reasons why I want to be able to transcode FLAC for DLNA playback on PS3.

Thanks in advance.

FreeBSD_Lover

Nope, not working. I assumed the technology is in place, but that I needed to 'tweak' some knobs, which is why I posted.  All I see on the screen in the particular album folder is a list of "unsupported data"; I didn't count but seems there is one per flac file.

I should add that I tried adding a profile entry under "trancoding":  audio,http,flac,flac, but that made no difference.

Edited by FreeBSD_Lover

FreeBSD_Lover

No. I am plagued with that "No compatible streams are currently available" issue, but I have been patiently waiting for a new version to resolve that.  I know there are some work-arounds in place, but I really don't have time lately. Hoping the shiny new 3.6 version would take care of that.

That just said, I can indeed play the FLACs in Firefox.

Ok so this is all the same issue. Essentially you can't perform any operation that requires ffmpeg. The 3.6 release is coming very soon. Thanks.

FreeBSD_Lover

So 3.6 will fix all of this? 

You really should call this new version of Emby 4.0 you know. ;)

Thanks again sir! Happy new year, and wish you, those dear to you, and your team an even more prosperous new 2019 year!

The problem is not so much that anything is wrong with the current 3.5 package, but it is compiled against a specific set of ffmpeg libs. At the time we released the package, those versions were the latest, but since then, this has changed, and now it fails because of that.

The 3.6 package will build it a different way so that this hopefully doesn't happen anymore. Thanks.

• 9 months later...
FreeBSD_Lover

Trancoding FLAC for playback on Sony PS3 via DLNA is still not working. The folders show "Unsupported Data".

Emby Version 4.2.1.0

FreeBSD version 11.3-RELEASE-p3

FreeBSD_Lover

To the PS3.  The PS3 does not recognize flac format. So I understood from our chat earlier (see above) that the new version of Emby would resolve that; meaning it would trancode flac into another format that ps3 does work with, say .mp3?  Perhaps I misunderstood? If Emby could do that, that would be sweet, but its no big deal for me. My Onkyo receiver (which is not a DLNA certified device) will playback flac music via emby dlna perfectly.

Looking at our ps3 profile, it should already be trying to transcode it. Was any ffmpeg log generated?